Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The great big "ask an airline pilot" thread!

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

faceman wrote: »
    On another one of my transatlantic adventures and have a few questions. No doubt they're silly!

On this trip (I'm heading transatlantic westbound to east Coast. En route the pilot said we would be taking one transatlantic route but changing en route for another. Who does he inform that he's doing this to? Does it matter when you're over the ocean?

Also what about speed? I get the whole picking a flight path and an altitude over the Atlantic but how about speed? Different planes fly at different speeds. Are you stuck at a certain speed when over the Atlantic? What if you hit turbulence and need to slow down?

Sorry if these questions are stupid, as a nervous flyer it all helps. :)

Oh and as afinal comment, I'll be on an E190 from BOS to DTW. Should I be nervous? :o First time on an E190. JetBlue too.

A commercial pilot will answer your first questions, But as far as the nerves about the E190 You can relax! They are a common reputable model and I always enjoy a flight on any of the Ejets, I haven't flown on JetBlue Ejet so not sure on seat pitch etc, check out seatguru.com it'll give you all you need to know!

Enjoy your trip! :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

faceman wrote: »
    On another one of my transatlantic adventures and have a few questions........
    On this trip (I'm heading transatlantic westbound to east Coast........

Sorry if these questions are stupid, as a nervous flyer it all helps. :).........
    For a nervous flyer you certainly travel enough. If you on your usual A330, id you have the time, ask to visit the flight deck after landing in BOS. Always good to see the hands and heads up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭sully2010

I've flown Jetblue a few times recently, A320 and E190. Have to say they are an excellent airline, by far the best shorthaul I've ever flown. Massive legroom on the A320, bit less on the 190. Great in flight entertainment, free wifi, free snacks and drinks, very friendly cabin crew/pilots. Nothing to worry about on the E190, its a bit smaller than A320 and 737 but certainly no less comfortable or less safe than other aircraft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭jamo2oo9

Tenger wrote: »
    For a nervous flyer you certainly travel enough. If you on your usual A330, id you have the time, ask to visit the flight deck after landing in BOS. Always good to see the hands and heads up front.

Normally, they won't do it in US due to TSA rules but in Dublin, they are pretty lax about it and will let you see it after landing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

North Atlantic is controlled by Shanwick (Shannon, Ballygirreen / Prestwick) to the east of 30W and Gander on the west side of 30W. Assuming that you are on EI, they will have contacted one of these two agencies by ACARS/CPDLC and obtained permission to change from one track to the other, so rather than going from 53N30W to 53N40W they might have dropped down to 52N40W, generally this would be done to get more beneficial winds.
    As the Atlantic isnt under radar control, they use speed and time for aircraft separation, aircraft at the same speed will be allowed follow each other with xx minute separation, faster aircraft will have a longer separation. If for any reason an aircraft has to change its time estimate by more than two minutes, they have to advice ATC.

Jetblue is an awesome airline, you should enjoy flying with them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Lockheed

A question more in general to airline pilots,
    What GPWS/TCAS alerts have you had? How did you get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

The whole story is an absolute load of b*llocks. There is no way the Flight control computers or engine FADEC computers could be controlled from a pax seat.
    He's just some kind of Walter Mitty character seeking attention

Agreed, he refers to 'playing with EICAS messages' on a 737. A 737 does not have an EICAS system that displays any messages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Where have you encountered the worst AT controllers?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

The whole story is an absolute load of b*llocks. There is no way the Flight control computers or engine FADEC computers could be controlled from a pax seat.

Hacking into a plane from its entertainment system?? :D:D:D Jeez even the most basic computer whizzes in the business would surely seperate those two components, let alone the mechanics involved on an aircraft. Absolute fairytale!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭IRLConor

fr336 wrote: »
    Hacking into a plane from its entertainment system?? :D:D:D Jeez even the most basic computer whizzes in the business would surely seperate those two components, let alone the mechanics involved on an aircraft. Absolute fairytale!

That article is about a 738, right? In that case it's almost certainly nonsense.

OTOH, B787, A350 and A380 aircraft use a variant of ethernet called AFDX and there have been concerns that those networks are not fully "air gapped" from the entertainment systems. In other words, they use the same physical network and rely on software to keep the traffic separate.

Now, I'm still pretty sceptical that a real attack was made. Even if the hardware is ethernet, I don't think the data link layer is standard ethernet and I'm not sure of the protocols the control systems would use on top of that. So it's not like you could use standard tools to probe the network. Even if you did have a fully working AFDX stack there are still firewalls in place (thanks to the FAA raising issues about the lack of an air gap several years ago) so you'd need to find and exploit a vulnerability in those.

Personally I'm not happy about the lack of physical separation between the networks. I write software for a living so I'm deeply mistrustful of software.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

IRLConor wrote: »
    That article is about a 738, right? In that case it's almost certainly nonsense.

OTOH, B787, A350 and A380 aircraft use a variant of ethernet called AFDX and there have been concerns that those networks are not fully "air gapped" from the entertainment systems. In other words, they use the same physical network and rely on software to keep the traffic separate.

Now, I'm still pretty sceptical that a real attack was made. Even if the hardware is ethernet, I don't think the data link layer is standard ethernet and I'm not sure of the protocols the control systems would use on top of that. So it's not like you could use standard tools to probe the network. Even if you did have a fully working AFDX stack there are still firewalls in place (thanks to the FAA raising issues about the lack of an air gap several years ago) so you'd need to find and exploit a vulnerability in those.

Personally I'm not happy about the lack of physical separation between the networks. I write software for a living so I'm deeply mistrustful of software.

I stand corrected.

father-dougal-mcguire.jpg

Bit worrying it's possible...I was so sure of myself that it was impossible! I thought it'd be similar to how many redundancy systems there are on an aircraft - everything in completely independent places.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,162 ✭✭✭✭smurfjed

These days its EGPWS, generally we get them going into unlisted or new airports where the airport data hasn't made its way into the navigation database. Thankfully haven't seen these alerts when they weren't expected :)

What type of TCAS alerts are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭Lockheed

smurfjed wrote: »
    These days its EGPWS, generally we get them going into unlisted or new airports where the airport data hasn't made its way into the navigation database. Thankfully haven't seen these alerts when they weren't expected :)

What type of TCAS alerts are you talking about?

Out of the blue, at crusing altitude, and suddenly hearing "TRAFFIC TRAFFIC"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Lockheed wrote: »
    Out of the blue, at crusing altitude, and suddenly hearing "TRAFFIC TRAFFIC"

This is a TA, and not an alert that one needs to manoeuvre for. Probably get it once or twice a month. Perfectly normal if someone is climbing or descending at a high rate and hasn't reduced it when approaching their cleared altitude. Also possible while at the same altitude as someone else if passing nearby; usually have been warned by ATC who will also advise in advance of minimum separation before this though.

Never had a RA (Resolution Advisory) though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 821 ✭✭✭eatmyshorts

Lockheed wrote: »
    A question more in general to airline pilots,

Just a "TERRAIN TERRAIN" warning on the circle-to-fix finals turn on the RNAV into the Seychelles. Briefed and expected so no concern.

TCAS Traffic Alerts once a month or so. Only ever 1 Resolution Advisory.. "CLIMB, CLIMB NOW" due to a redneck cowboy in a USAF F15 over Slovakia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,781 ✭✭✭amen

Just a "TERRAIN TERRAIN" warning on the circle-to-fix finals turn on the RNAV into the Seychelles. Briefed and expected so no concern.

TCAS Traffic Alerts once a month or so. Only ever 1 Resolution Advisory.. "CLIMB, CLIMB NOW" due to a redneck cowboy in a USAF F15 over Slovakia.

so what happened to the F15 pilot ? Written up ? Warning ? or nothing ?

amen wrote: »

Absolutely no idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭basill

Sometimes we is the mouse and they is the cat. Although they would be expected to turn off their transponder to avoid triggering a TA/RA in our cockpits. You would be amazed what goes on without us ever knowing.....

........... Only ever 1 Resolution Advisory.. "CLIMB, CLIMB NOW" due to a redneck cowboy in a USAF F15 over Slovakia.
    Who let a redneck into an F-15!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

Ummm, unfortunately there may be something to this story.

At the moment, nobody knows for sure whether the attack was performed in flight (the FBI allege it was), or in a virtual environment on the ground (as the researcher says). There are too many different stories in circulation, with too few details. And in both software and security, it's ALL about the details.

There is some more here: https://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2015/05/more_on_chris_r.html

The takeaway quote is
    "I would like to see a transcript (of the interviews)," said one former federal computer crimes prosecutor, speaking on condition of anonymity. "If he did what he said he did, why is he not in jail? And if he didn't do it, why is the FBI saying he did?"
    And, more importantly:

The real story that media outlets should be chasing isn't what Roberts did or didn't do on board a United flight in April, but whether there is any truth to longtime assurances from airplane makers like Boeing and Airbus that critical avionics systems aboard their aircraft are unreachable from systems accessible to passengers

http://it.slashdot.org/story/15/05/18/2033242/chris-roberts-is-the-least-important-part-of-the-airplane-hacking-story

Sadly, firewalls just aren't good enough for this task.

By law & FAA regulation the Control Domain and the Entertainment Domain are supposed to be on separate hardware. But apparently some of the newer Aircraft (B787, A380?) got an exemption. I'll try to find a link for that if I can.

I think Mr Roberts is about to join a long list of whistleblowers who have their lives ruined for the benefit of the rest of us.

OzCam wrote: »
    Ummm, unfortunately there may be something to this story.

There may be something to the story that Elvis faked his own death or that aliens landed in Roswell in in 1947...but that doesn't make it any more true.

OzCam wrote: »
    I think Mr Roberts is about to join a long list of whistleblowers who have their lives ruined for the benefit of the rest of us.

Or, more realistically, he joins a long list of Walter Mittys seeking their 15 minutes of Internet fame from the gibbering masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭OzCam

No, Mr Shorts. It would be great to say that you're right, but we can't say that yet.

First, this guy is no numpty. Second, we're at the point in this story where the industry is insisting there's no issue, and the computer security experts are begining to say "hang on a second, they're on the same network, are you out of your ******* minds?"

We've seen this sort of reaction before, in fact it's becoming a regular thing in the card payment & banking industry. A couple of years ago we never heard of breaches, now it's happening every few weeks.

So at the moment it's neither Busted nor Confirmed. It is, however, Unlikely but Plausible. It definitely needs to be investigated.

Any firewall can be breached eventually. And attacks always get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

There's already a thread on this...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,576 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Can we continue this discussion in the appropriate thread please.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057431931

Shameless self-gloss:...

Just been totalling my logbook and realised I've passed the 10,000 hour milestone, 18 years since the first entry in my first logbook.

Shameless self-gloss:...

Just been totalling my logbook and realised I've passed the 10,000 hour milestone, 18 years since the first entry in my first logbook.

Congratulations....

However according to Micheal O'Leary that means you only work under 11 hours per week......:eek: :D
    (18x52=936, 10K /936= 10.68376......if we factor in 8 weeks leave per year you are still only at 12.6 hours per week)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,813 ✭✭✭billie1b

Tenger wrote: »
    Congratulations....

However according to Micheal O'Leary that means you only work under 11 hours per week......:eek: :D
    (18x52=936, 10K /936= 10.68376......if we factor in 8 weeks leave per year you are still only at 12.6 hours per week)

Im working it out at 23 hours per week over an 18 year period, pretty average

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Flying again today. This time with Delta, first time with them too. I'm on a B767-300. Haven't been on one of these before. It feels old and creaky!

Anyway I'm on a 4 hour domestic US flight to the West coast and it got me thinking. Is there an agreed standard as to what constitutes long haul or short haul travel? Is it purely duration or does skipping timezones? (or is it called sectors?)

Pilot is promising good flying conditions. Hope he's not telling porkies!

Advertisement