Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is quitting a job in this climate a bad idea?

Options
  • 05-09-2011 6:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

With all this talk about recession this, recession that, Is walking away from a job you trually hate a bad idea?

I was out of work for over a year, I was very depressed and got physically sick towards the end of my time on the dole. I got my act together and got myself a job,
    I am an apprentice electrician, but ever since going back to work I have made the decision that I want to make a career change, As I don't enjoy the job anymore.

On top of everything, The company I work for is extremely small and are completely taking advantage of me. Bullying, to a certain extent is an issue.
    Which is not the reason for my decision but is certainly making me realize I don't want to do this anymore.

I am 23 years old, I want to work in IT. I feel that I am not getting any younger,
    As I am 23 I am also a mature student and can do whatever course I want (down to interview),
    I failed my leaving cert Maths. The ambition and drive I feel now is like no other,
    I don't need Maths now because I am older, but I am going to go back and repeat it anyway.
    I don't feel like I am getting any younger, I would be qualified as an electrician this time next year (Around Sept/October), But I don't see the point as I genuinely hate the job.

I have part time work lined up, to help me through college. But some people think I am mad for leaving, the way things are?
    The way I feel is, it's the final straw.
    I went away to California for two weeks, My friends who are my age. All got degree's and are now living on the golden coast,
    It has woken me upto what I can achieve in live, through a decent education, Hard work and dedication.

My confidence levels are through the roof now, The two weeks off did me great.
    I know as soon as I go back to work, My confidence will be rock bottom within 10 minutes,
    And I'm better then that. I want to use my new found lease of life as a positive motive and a drive.
    Not to be depressed and annoyed, thoughts?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

If you're going to repeat maths then you can't do that until next year anyway, why not work until then, repeat maths, finish your apprenticeship and then start college?

It would be a shame to piss away 3 years of an apprenticeship at this point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

It is very useful, then to add on a degree in some technical area such as IT but IT people at junior level are 10 a penny, while fully qualified electricians are not as common as the number of people who get an apprenticeship and last out the 4 years is smaller than the countless 1000's who do IT courses of various lengths and end up in junior support roles on less than 20k for the rest of their working lives. Not everyone in IT makes the big bucks while, once a person gets through the initial 4 year apprencticeship, electricians can progress into several pathways including instrumentation, power management, renewable energies etc.

I have an ordinary degree in Electronic Engineering, a diploma in Information Technology and a Cert in Industrial Automation but without experience and a Craft Trade Certificate in Electrical Technology, I will not be considered for any job in Industrial Automation or related industries. The accepted legal qualification for Electrical Work is the Craft Trade Certificate, nothing else will do.

Because they had the backing of the Unions and were employed by an outside contractor many Electricians I worked with were treated with a lot greater respect than Technicians working in Electronic Debug or Process Control who were treated like dirt. We had no union representation and no protection from bullying, pay freezes, demands for high rates of productivity and rapid changes in work practices with little or no consultation. The money was never as good as that earned by the Electricians as you would expect without a union to look for rises. At all costs complete your apprecticeship then take stock of your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I was in a very similar position to you at one stage during my apprenticeship . I was basically being bullied by a foreman but luckily enough im a big lad and would gladly get into a shouting match if i was being wronged. Basically i ended up seeking out another company to carry on the apprenticeship with and i have never looked back .

I recieved my trade papers earlier this year and am now starting back at college on a degree course in a related area.

Some usefull information would be how far are you into your apprenticship and are you registered with FAS ? These are the two most important questions right now.

Advertisement