Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maternity Leave - what to do and when

Options
  • 05-09-2011 8:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My wife is pregnant with our first and we're a bit confused about what to do about her maternity benefit - who do we contact, when, etc!

She's a Secondary School teacher for the last 2 years in this school, on a temporary contract that gets renewed each year. Its a 16 hour contract but she's doing full time hours with all the other classes she covers. She's already told the principal but does she also need to tell the Board of Management, Department, etc? And when does she tell them? She's due on the 7th January.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Cottontail

Here is a link to the citizens information website which has loads of info you will need, including all about maternity benefit and how/when to apply for it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/before_your_baby_is_born/

I think it's up to your wife whenever she wants to inform work, personally i'm over 24 weeks pregnant now and only emailed my manager a couple of weeks ago. I haven't applied for maternity benefit yet but intend to do this in the next couple of weeks.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

Thanks cottontail. She's just 22 weeks and has told the principal. Ill get her to take a look at that site tonight and we can get working on letting the right people know. Its another thing ticked off the list then!!

Advertisement