Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS in all its glory

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 131 ✭✭outnumbered82

I did my injection like normal yesterday. Today the bump from it is still there and really sore. How do you think all of a sudden it starts hurting in to the next day. Before I used to get red marks but never a bump

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭val444

I did my injection like normal yesterday. Today the bump from it is still there and really sore. How do you think all of a sudden it starts hurting in to the next day. Before I used to get red marks but never a bump

I had very little reaction at first but now, every time I inject, I get a bump. It's almost as if my body has decided to stop putting up with the abuse! A cold pack can reduce swelling and a hot pack before injecting helps too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Some places on the body react differently too. I can't inject my stomach or bum cos the lumps can last a week or more. I tend not to get reactions anymore, but the odd time I will get a lump after injecting and it can be quite itchy or sore. That's after two years on Copaxone. I wonder is it related to how your immune system is that day or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coughdrops

Morning everyone

Haven't been on much in last coupls of weeks. After all my wonderings about symptoms I ended up with a crap week of them flaring up so wasn't in very good humour. My poor DH is a saint!

Anyway, I improved over the end of last week and the weekend allowed me to get a lot of rest (only time I got off couch yesterday was to lie down in bed). Feeling nearly 100% again, apart from my left foot and the residual feeling of being knackered.

@outnumbered82- depending on where I take copaxone I get some bumps too. In my tummy they are like little marbles under the skin. In the thighs they are sorer marks, but not as "bumpy". I tend to inject stomach mainly, then bum, then thighs if I am really stuck. As long as you're not going for exact same spot each time (never inject into a sore spot), it should be ok. Lucky I have a wide stomach and ass!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

I didn't know you could inject Copaxone on your bum....I thought it was just hips (love handles as the nurse said), tum, front of thighs and back of the arm?

I get different reactions day to day, no matter what the site. Sometimes it's just a little itchy and sometimes it's really sore. Sometimes I get marble like lumps and other times, nothing. I'm currently sporting a massive bruise where I obviously hit a blood vessel.

I tend to inject the stomach and hips mainly with the occasional one in my leg because I find the leg ones sorest. Less fat I suppose :D

I'm on day one of another 3 day bout of IV steriods. Buzzing about the place like a blue arsed fly and feel like I've never seen food before......my nose is in the fridge every few minutes. It's a 70 mile trip (35 each way) so I'll be wrecked by Wednesday. Luckily all my appointments are early so I can rest up in the afternoons before the little one gets home from school.

• Advertisement

I was put on Losec for the next 2 weeks because of the steroids. Took the first one a couple of hours ago. Now I've got really bad cramps in my my legs shooting down to my feet :(

could be the steroids, the Losec or even just the drive down to the hospital.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 824 ✭✭✭pbarr

I posted this question here a couple of times before but didn't get any replies back on it so I'm asking again as there are more followers of this thread now.
    What I'd like to know has anyone here got ppms and how are they getting on.
    I was diagnosed the end of 2009 and at the moment I have to use either crutches or a wheelchair to get around and I'm on no medication at all for it. So is there anybody here in the same boat.

pbarr wrote: »
    I posted this question here a couple of times before but didn't get any replies back on it so I'm asking again as there are more followers of this thread now.
    What I'd like to know has anyone here got ppms and how are they getting on.
    I was diagnosed the end of 2009 and at the moment I have to use either crutches or a wheelchair to get around and I'm on no medication at all for it. So is there anybody here in the same boat.

I don't have ppms but I saw on the UK ms society website they have a forum under advice section and there is a board specifically for ppms there. I know it's a UK site but they're fairly welcoming to the blow ins :)

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭XenaLady

...still no treatments started and this hugely annoying fatigue on, geez :p Im not a complainer by nature but now, have to say, I just complained lol =D
    According to statistics complaining relieves stress anyway =D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

XenaLady wrote: »
    ...still no treatments started and this hugely annoying fatigue on, geez :p Im not a complainer by nature but now, have to say, I just complained lol =D
    According to statistics complaining relieves stress anyway =D
    It was exactly 4 months for me from getting diagnosed to getting my first treatment so hang in there xenalady

• Advertisement

Had iv steroids earlier in the week. Felt like total muck until today. But yay! They worked. Symptoms have lessened a lot although I still have a slight tremor in my hand and numbness in my leg. But overall, vast improvement.

Hopefully I get a good break before I have another relapse.

So much for feeling better. Myself and my boyfriend ended things last night. I'm miserable. We were only together 6 months when my symptoms started and the last 6 months (together almost a year in total) have been very tough in terms of tests, relapses, diagnosis etc. He's had other pressures at home, work etc and says he just can't handle the pressure of the relationship aswell.
    He wanted a break but I'm not really a "break" kinda girl so looks like we're done.

He says it's not because of the MS that he's having doubts but it's hard not to think that way. It sure as hell didn't help. I feel like he's gone from seeing me as a vivacious, fun loving young woman to someone he has to "look after" and be careful with (because that's how he treats me now).

Today I am in "why me?" mode.
    It'll pass and the split was amicable so I'll be fine. Just fed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Worried 27

ash23 wrote: »
    So much for feeling better. Myself and my boyfriend ended things last night. I'm miserable. We were only together 6 months when my symptoms started and the last 6 months have been very tough in terms of tests, relapses, diagnosis etc. He's had other pressures at home, work etc and says he just can't handle the pressure of the relationship aswell.
    He wanted a break but I'm not really a "break" kinda girl so looks like we're done.

He says it's not because of the MS that he's having doubts but it's hard not to think that way. It sure as hell didn't help. I feel like he's gone from seeing me as a vivacious, fun loving young woman to someone he has to "look after" and be careful with (because that's how he treats me now).

Today I am in "why me?" mode.
    It'll pass and the split was amicable so I'll be fine. Just fed up.

I'm really sorry to hear that break ups are hard in most cases regardless of how long you have been together! I know no matter what anyone says its still tough but at least he said now than way down the road! I'm sure you are still the fun loving you that you mentioned you just have had a lot to deal with!

As I have only been dealing with ms a few months myself I'm hoping it gets easier it has to right ; )

Worried 27 wrote: »
    As I have only been dealing with ms a few months myself I'm hoping it gets easier it has to right ; )

I keep telling myself that........things have a way of sorting themselves out one way or the other.
    I think I'll turn all hippyish and just relinquish control to the Universe or something. Because God knows, I don't seem to have any control over things at the moment and it's not for a want of trying! :p

I think that's the bit I hate most about this whole thing, the lack of control, of knowing how things will be etc.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Sorry to hear that ash23 life can be so cruel sometimes, try to stay positive and look after yourself things will turnaround and hopefully for the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Worried 27

I keep telling myself that........things have a way of sorting themselves out one way or the other.
    I think I'll turn all hippyish and just relinquish control to the Universe or something. Because God knows, I don't seem to have any control over things at the moment and it's not for a want of trying! :p

I think that's the bit I hate most about this whole thing, the lack of control, of knowing how things will be etc.

You are so right I'm the same it's the whole what does the future hold, some days I tell myself not to worry about the future when we don't even know what tomorrow will bring but I just can't help worry about it! I never thought I'd find myself with ms!
    I know everyone says stay positive but its hard to sometimes!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

Hey Ash23

Same thing happened to me but it was before i was even diagnosed. I was going in for tests and mentioned to her that it MIGHT be MS then afew days later i get the old "Oh its nothing to do with you maybe being sick" text.

I just keep telling myself that she couldnt handle how awesome and badassed i am :P

Just keep your head up Ash and go shopping or something.... you women like doing that to cheer yourselves up apparently :P

Hey Ash23

Same thing happened to me but it was before i was even diagnosed. I was going in for tests and mentioned to her that it MIGHT be MS then afew days later i get the old "Oh its nothing to do with you maybe being sick" text.

I just keep telling myself that she couldnt handle how awesome and badassed i am :P

Just keep your head up Ash and go shopping or something.... you women like doing that to cheer yourselves up apparently :P

I hate shopping. I wonder if I'm female sometimes.

Nah my plan is to go on a healthy eating kick (which I was starting anyway), lose a couple of stone and look and feel fantabulous about myself. The steroid/self pity stone needs to go! Along with the other one :o

Time to become totally self centred and put the little energy I have into myself instead of stressing over the impending doom of my relationship. :cool:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

How is everyone?Getting some Vit D in the sun, I hope.

How is everyone?Getting some Vit D in the sun, I hope.

I have gone out for walks most days, the sunshine is so uplifting :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

The famyra is kicking in here. Went to the stable yard after work and was able to stand with my horse to let him graze for much longer that I could hve done before. Happy horse and owner!

Yeah things are good here too. Have so much energy. I had forgotten what it felt like to be honest. I'm still wrecked by bedtime but I'm getting out in the evenings and able to cook and clean the house, able to make plans with friends and am booked solid the next few weekends. Work is going well too.

All in all, I love Spring. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

Apologies in advance for moany cow post...

This week has been really stressful, wondering is this a factor in attacks...

I'm dropping everything; phone, keys, plates etc, struggling to grip a pen, and tingling sensation is making it difficult to sleep. It's the ridiculous clumsiness that's driving me mad...feeling very helpless..

I think I need to do something nice for myself to cheer me up...

Kick in the ass please?

We can't balance on one foot to kick you in the ass :)) Yes, stress can be linked to relapses. Tiredness also makes you more clumsy. Massage or some other treatment is my prescription.

I know that anytime I had a relapse it was linked to a stressful time in my life. A house move, another house move and waiting for the results of my MRI to see if I had MS.
    So I try to avoid stress now at all costs!

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭tatumkelly

I know that anytime I had a relapse it was linked to a stressful time in my life. A house move, another house move and waiting for the results of my MRI to see if I had MS.
    So I try to avoid stress now at all costs!

Seems to be a vicious cycle, the more stressed I get, the worse clumsiness and coordination gets and vice versa. I do know there's a lesson in there somewhere!

Optic neuritis is becoming troublesome too.

All the things I like to do to unwind usually are being made more difficult by attacks, and I think that's what's really upsetting me.

What do you guys do to get away from it?

tatumkelly wrote: »

Seems to be a vicious cycle, the more stressed I get, the worse clumsiness and coordination gets and vice versa. I do know there's a lesson in there somewhere!

Optic neuritis is becoming troublesome too.

All the things I like to do to unwind usually are being made more difficult by attacks, and I think that's what's really upsetting me.

What do you guys do to get away from it?

I found the ON really hard to cope with emotionally. I had double vision a lot, but an eyepatch helped. On days where it was less compliant, I listened to a lot of music. I missed reading, so I downloaded loads of radio documentaries and contemplated getting audiobooks, but never got around to it.

I meditate every day, and use aromatherapy to relax. I can notice symptoms flare up hours after I start stressing about stuff. It's a nightmare, cos I am a natural stresshead!

I ride my horse to de-stress.

I don't actively try to de-stress. I just tend to overthink things all the time and I try to avoid doing that. I'll write all my worries down somewhere to get them out of my head or talk to a friend. But the main thing is to sort out the things I can control and the things I can't.
    For the things I can't, I just have to accept it and not think or worry about it. For the things I can control, I do my best to get a handle on it.

I'm a single parent with a full time job in customer service so stress is unavoidable at times. But I have a lot of family support and my mum is great and will take my daughter for a weekend so I can rest, catch up with friends etc.

I also found the ON hard to deal with. Not being able to drive, watch tv, read etc......I was very bored! But at the time I didn't know I had MS so it didn't stress me out. Luckily I just had it in one eye so I also used an eye patch and that meant I could at least watch tv and use the internet.

• Advertisement

How are all the Mse-ers doing?Can we have a post where you say how long you were dx and what dmd you are on??

Diagnosed 2001 tried Betafernon, then Avonex,on Tysabri since 2009 and no relapses since.

Advertisement