Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MS in all its glory

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

With ritixumbab?Best of luck, keep us posted. Do you mind me asking if you are with Laya?

Thank you, I need it! Yes with rituximab, I was told it's really the only option for me. I will let you know how it goes. They are very hopeful about the results following on from what's gone on in Sweden. I've been reading up on the Swedish trials etc and it looks good ... Well I think I'm choosing to see only the positives! I'm with aviva or Irish life I think it's called now. Will keep you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Salmotrutta

With ritixumbab?Best of luck, keep us posted. Do you mind me asking if you are with Laya?

Why Laya, if you don't mind me asking?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Because I had heard Laya were covering it and Vhi weren't yet .

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭Salmotrutta

Because I had heard Laya were covering it and Vhi weren't yet .

Thanks, good to know. I'm with Laya myself, in case I need it in the future. Frustrating how different companies have different policies on what they will cover - if the medical team deem it necessary it should be covered, end of.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

One of the other great frustrations is that taking a particular DMD now might rule you out of another down the line. Time to get ride of the injectables too, waste of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Having some real trouble with constipation at the moment; diet is grand, drinking plenty of water etc...

I know this can be linked to MS, so trying to find out how common!

Yep, very common. Movicol your only man. Doesn't make the bowel " lazy" either.

Thank you! Is that over the counter?? I used a laxative last week to help ease it, hoping it would kick start my system. Nope! Didn't want to take them again this week, as I was afraid of the "lazy bowel"!

Not sure if it OTC , my Neuro wrote it into my LTI book after my last stay in hospital, as being laid up tends to exacerbate the issue . Moving gets you errr... moving so keep as active as you can .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irishrver

Movical works very well but tastes terrible so I changed to laxido orange it does the same job but it's much easier to swallow and it can be put on the lti card as well

• Advertisement

I don't think any of these yokes taste great :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭irishrver

They are unfortunately an unnecessary evil but at least the Laxido tastes like a very weak diluted orange drink. My daughter who is nursing in the UK put me on to it they gave up the other one years ago ��

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭eimsRV

Hi all. Having a lot of anxiety lately. Not sure if its from the MS or medication, I'm on Plegridy, or not related at all. Has anyone had any success with cognitive behavioural therapy?

I'm going to start by saying Plegridy is an interferon and there are far more effective meds out there for anyone newly diagnosed.. Anxiety is common in MS, there's such uncertainty in our futures.
    CBT may be helpful.

Thanks byhookorbycrook. I'm diagnosed just over 2 years. Neurologist in Beaumont has been reluctant to move me on from interferon.

That may be a budget constraint decision . I have heard that some of the public hospitals won't put people on the likes of Tysabri purely due to cost . The current thinking is to hit MS hard from the get go.

As to CBT , yoga, mindfulness or whatever - anything that helps to reduce stress or anxiety has to be good .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

I had to lobby my local TD to get funding for lemtrada in Beaumont, I was on tysabri before that and i also had to lobby him for that too. I am not even three years diagnosed and I am on my fourth medication. Which neurologist are you under in Beaumont?

So i had my first rituximab infusion... 1 hour in and I developed a severe reaction. Throat swelled, rash everywhere. They took me off it straight away and gave me another large dose of steroids. I had had steroids and piriton infusion before the rituximab but I'm obviously allergic. So neuro came and took me off straightaway. I am so disappointed. The neuro had put all my hopes on this being the only thing that would work for me. I don't even know where we can go from here.

That's such a pity, Carrie, is there any other med mentioned at all?

That's such a pity, Carrie, is there any other med mentioned at all?

Such a pity. Literally all my hopes were pinned on this! I have PPMS so this was really all we talked about. I'll have to arrange a meeting with neuro to either discuss another option or see how we can manage the allergic reaction. I'm so disappointed. Back to square one...

• Advertisement

What about Ocrelizumab? I know our neuro is talking about it for one or two people?

What about Ocrelizumab? I know our neuro is talking about it for one or two people?

Yes I'd say he'll talk about that. As far as I know they are one and the same thing.

embee wrote: »
    I had to lobby my local TD to get funding for lemtrada in Beaumont, I was on tysabri before that and i also had to lobby him for that too. I am not even three years diagnosed and I am on my fourth medication. Which neurologist are you under in Beaumont?

Embee I'm under Dr Costello. I go publicly but I do have private health insurance so should look at switching.

Is anyone considering stem cell?

Is it available to regular Joe Soaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

After seeing that panorama documentary about stem cells results on MS,I'm very much considering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

After seeing that panorama documentary about stem cells results on MS,I'm very much considering it.

It's not available in Ireland at present and to qualify you have to fit quite specific criteria .

Had an email from someone asking about hospitals charging €75 for Ty at each infusion, if you are one of those, can you pm me please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Sun82

[font=arial, sans-serif]I'm having an angry/sad/scared day today.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I was diagnosed about 6 weeks ago  after a sudden episode of left side numbness, facial droop, coordination issues prompted a trip to the emergency room. All the coordination, strength tests etc were definitely ramped up once i told them i had Optic Neuritis 8 years ago, suddenly neurology were on their way down and i knew what they were thinking.[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]A couple of days later my symptoms had pretty much resolved themselves and i had my MRI which unfortunately shows a big active lesion and a decent qty of old ones. [/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Here's where the anger comes in.....i always knew Optic Neuritis was one of the trademarks for MS but the only time this was ever discussed with a medical professional was when i got the question  'any family history of ms?'  I said no, and that was that.....so i figured i was just an unlucky randomer![/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]I have requested medical records from the 2 hospitals i dealt with at this time (when i had the  initial eye pain and crippling headache i was discharged with 'tension headache' from one hospital) and then i saw the neurology/opthalmologist a few months later when my vision had not recovered. [/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Had MRI at the second one and then steroid treatment to help recovery of vision. [/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Medical records after this MRI refer to ''non-specific white signals although the number and distribution met the criteria for demyelination'' and then when referring to the steroid treatment 'i will give her iv methylpredisoline to see if anything can be salvaged at this point'[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]To me it sounds like a diagnosis could have been made 8 years ago or at least investigated further. I am ANGRY and i know that doesnt help anything but i am also setting up my life in Australia now but feel this will be a massive hurdle when dealing with visas/my employer etc.[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Sorry one of those days that i dont want to become the norm and really this is just a vent/rant pity party for one[/font]

Advertisement