Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NCT, car tax and UK registered car

• 05-09-2011 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

My daughter is doing a 4 year course in Limerick. We live in the UK. The tax office in Limerick tell me that she could have a VRT exemption as she will be going back and forth to UK. Our UK insurance only gives you 30 days cover in Ireland so had to organise insurance with Aviva. The car tax and MOT expires in November - what are our options? Is it possible/legal to have a NCT and Irish road tax? Do we have to travel to NI to get a MOT done there? The VRT on the car is E400 so we wondered whether we should forget the exemption and change the registration from UK to Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Has she brought the car back to the UK now that uni is out? If yes, you can do the MOT now, you don't have to wait for the anniversary date. Car tax will be a bit more difficult as if you try to do it online, the DVLA won't be able to check the insurance unless it's Aviva UK you insured it with (as opposed to Aviva Ireland). You would then have to go to Post Office or one of the DVLA regional offices to tax it and post the disc over.

If the VRT is that low, how old is the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Widget

Car is 9 years old a 52 Peugeot 307 1.6 LX, she started back in Limerick end of August, we had thought that we were going to change the plate until the tax office in Limerick suggested this exemption. I have insurance cover with Aviva Ireland which I was told provides cover for UK but won't be on DVLA database. Bit of a balls up really so trying to work out which is best route to go

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i think you have been mis-informed. Your UK insurance is valid third party in Ireland for the entire length of the policy. Its the fully comp bit that expires after (in your case) 30 days.

Yes, you would need to travel to a UK MoT station for that . Motoring costs being so much lower in the UK it would be well worth heading for NI once a year.Or simply take the car home for the summer each year

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

yeah, drive up to Newry I would have thought.......its all motorway from Limerick to Newry now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

I am confused.

Why pay €400 when you don't have too.

If you VRT (exempt) the car you daughter will need to prove she has left the UK and she cannot sell the car for 12 months.

Insuring a UK reg'd car in Ireland with Aviva will mean the Revenue can find the car an seize it.

Your UK reg'd car must be MOT'd and taxed to be legal here - I am not sure if an NI MOT can apply to mainland UK reg'd car.

Why did you not just buy her an Irish car??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

si_guru wrote: »
    I am confused.

Why pay €400 when you don't have too.

If you VRT (exempt) the car you daughter will need to prove she has left the UK and she cannot sell the car for 12 months.

Insuring a UK reg'd car in Ireland with Aviva will mean the Revenue can find the car an seize it.

Your UK reg'd car must be MOT'd and taxed to be legal here - I am not sure if an NI MOT can apply to mainland UK reg'd car.

Why did you not just buy her an Irish car??

Becuase he doesn't have to:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/leaflets/temporary-exemption-foreign-registered.html
    4. What If I am a foreign student?

If you reside temporarily in the State primarily for the purpose of pursuing a course of studies you may bring a foreign registered Category A vehicle (e.g. a saloon, estate, hatchback, convertible, coupé, MPV, Jeep, etc. a minibus (with less than 13 permanently fitted seats including the driver's seat)) or a motor-cycle into the State provided it is registered in the country of your normal residence. The same conditions mentioned in paragraph 2 above apply and the 12 month time limit will be extended until you have completed your course of studies.
    11. Are there formalities on arrival?

No. Once the conditions outlined in paragraph 2 above are met there are no formalities when you arrive in the State.
    12. What must I do if challenged by a Revenue officer or a Garda?

You are required to stop your vehicle and allow it to be examined if requested by an Officer of the Revenue Commissioners or An Garda Síochána. You must co-operate in answering questions for the purpose of verifying your status and produce on request all documents relating to the bringing into the State, ownership and registration of the vehicle.

The OP's daughter has to do NOTHING, the Insurance will cover the car TPO after 30 days as per Motor Insurance Directive 2009/103/EC.

http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/insurance/motor_en.htm
    All compulsory motor insurance policies should cover, on the basis of a single premium and during the whole term of the contract, the entire territory of the Union, including for any period in which the vehicle remains in other Member States during the term of the contract. Please note, however, that the Directive does not regulate the so-called comprehensive cover (cover for one's own physical damage, material damage to one's own vehicle and vehicle theft, amongst others).

She'll still have to get it MOT'd and the Tax paid in the UK for the Duration of her studies.

If she went and got an Irish car it would be at significant cost due to not having an Insurance History in the Republic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

..if you re-reg the car here, you'll have Irish tax etc - this you know.

But you'll need RoI insurance as well, and that may well be far more than she's paying now, so all the above may knocked into a cocked hat - get quotes on that first, so you have all the facts, and then tot them all up.

Me ? I'd stay on the UK plates.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,448 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Widget wrote: »
    Car is 9 years old a 52 Peugeot 307 1.6 LX, she started back in Limerick end of August, we had thought that we were going to change the plate until the tax office in Limerick suggested this exemption. I have insurance cover with Aviva Ireland which I was told provides cover for UK but won't be on DVLA database. Bit of a balls up really so trying to work out which is best route to go

OP: the car's worth £1200 at a push; was the insurance comprehensive? If not, you were misadvised to transfer it to an irish insurance carrier, just needed to notify the UK insurer that the car would ne habitually kept at the Limerick address. (Assuming, possibly incorrectly, that fire and theft coverage is not that key.). When is the insurance renewed? Maybe think about going back to UK insurance or if not differently priced just have to get the motor tax for her yourself. Does the tax expire beforeOT? If yes, can retax it on old cert plus Irish insurance certain. Then she can get it MOT'd when she has time (before Nov). It shouldn't need a GB MOT if it has an NI one, they are different agencies though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

The OP's daughter has to do NOTHING, the Insurance will cover the car TPO after 30 days as per Motor Insurance Directive 2009/103/EC.
    If she went and got an Irish car it would be at significant cost due to not having an Insurance History in the Republic.

This EU directive is fine as far as it goes. But she'd arguably have to tell the insurance company that the vehicle was spending most of its time in Limerick, as it is material to the pricing of the policy. In this case, they would not continue to offer cover or not at a reasonable rate in any case. In other words the insurance is only cheaper because the insurance company believe that the car is mostly in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

We could even start a debate here, if the car need an UK tax while in Ireland.
    In my opinion it doesn't, but I might be wrong, as I'm not really familiar with UK regulations.

If it's registered in UK, it must have UK insurance, and UK MOT. Make sure as well, that your daughter is carrying V5C while driving in Ireland, as this is legal requirement for foreign registered car(probably not enforced in Ireland, but it's always better to be on a safe side).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

We could even start a debate here, if the car need an UK tax while in Ireland.
    In my opinion it doesn't, but I might be wrong, as I'm not really familiar with UK regulations.

Why start a debate on something that is perfectly obvious? It does need to be taxed to drive here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

CiniO wrote: »
    Make sure as well, that your daughter is carrying V5C while driving in Ireland, as this is legal requirement for foreign registered car(probably not enforced in Ireland, but it's always better to be on a safe side).

Excuse my ignorance but what is a V5C?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

ardmacha wrote: »
    This EU directive is fine as far as it goes. But she'd arguably have to tell the insurance company that the vehicle was spending most of its time in Limerick, as it is material to the pricing of the policy. In this case, they would not continue to offer cover or not at a reasonable rate in any case. In other words the insurance is only cheaper because the insurance company believe that the car is mostly in England.

She'd have to tell them this if she wanted to be covered on the fully comprehensive part of the policy or for fire and theft.

Your only covered Third Party Only after the period set out by the Insurer, there is no EU Regulations governing that.

Her 'home' address is in the UK anyway and there is no requirement for students to leave within certain timeframes as for all intents and purposes they are non resident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Excuse my ignorance but what is a V5C?

UK logbook equivalent

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Widget

Thanks everyone for your help and advice. I think we will be able to sort things out. It is a great resource to have people around who can cut through the red tape and give you straight forward and clear advice

Advertisement