Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accident/incident on Outer Ring Road

• 05-09-2011 10:01am
    Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Due to the original thread which I closed, been nothing more than rumours and speculation I've decided to open a new thread on this seen as there has been some more information released through this mornings paper.
    GARDAÍ BELIEVE a woman who died after being found with head injuries at the side of a busy roundabout was pushed or more likely jumped from a moving car.

The Irish Times understands the dead woman was found by chance by gardaí who were patrolling in Waterford city after receiving a report of dangerous driving.

The 39 year old from Lithuania was still alive when found by the side of the road at Couse Bridge roundabout on Waterford’s outer ring road just before midnight on Saturday.

She was taken by ambulance to Waterford Regional Hospital, where she was pronounced dead.

The woman was last night named locally in Waterford as Zana Alen, with an address on Tramore Road.

Gardaí have arrested a man for questioning about Ms Alen’s death. He is a Lithuanian national and was well known to the deceased.

Gardaí believe the arrested man and Ms Alen were travelling in a car together on Saturday night close to where she was found injured. They believe Ms Alen either fell or was pushed from the car as it was travelling at speed.

A postmortem has revealed she died of head injuries but has also shown she was not assaulted. Her injuries were consistent with hitting the road at speed.

The Garda investigation has not been upgraded to a murder inquiry and it is still being treated as a suspicious death.

A number of witnesses saw the incident and it is believed they have told gardaí it appeared Ms Alen jumped from the vehicle rather than being pushed.

The man in custody was being questioned about the circumstances of the fatal incident. It is believed he and the deceased may have been drinking earlier and got into a row.

The arrested man, a 29 year old who also has an address in Waterford, was being questioned under section 4 of the Criminal Justice Act, and can be held for up to 24 hours without charge.

Garda sources said when gardaí went to the scene to investigate the reports of dangerous driving they had only found Ms Alen a matter of minutes when the man now being questioned arrived on the scene and explained who he was. He was than taken into custody.

The area where Ms Alen was found injured was sealed off yesterday and examined by members of the Garda Technical Bureau. The roads between Couse Bridge roundabout, Airport Road roundabout and Ballindud Road roundabout were closed for a long period for the Garda examinations.

Gardaí in Waterford are also studying CCTV footage of the city on Saturday in an effort to establish the car Ms Alen fell or was pushed from. They are also looking to establish the movements of the arrested man’s car around the time of the incident.

Gardaí are appealing for anyone who may have seen the fatal incident or a car driving dangerously in the area to contact them.

They are also appealing for anyone who may have seen a man and woman arguing in the area of Kill St Lawrence on Saturday night to contact them.

Link

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

At least that's a lot of the rumours proven to be nothing but rumours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

The man was released and a file send to the DPP ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

At least that's a lot of the rumours proven to be nothing but rumours.

Sure why let the facts get in the way of a good rumour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

longshanks wrote: »
    Sure why let the facts get in the way of a good rumour.
    Touché

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Ah the magical file sent to the DPP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭thomasm

Saying now its likely she jumped accoridng to irish times
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/0905/breaking6.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

I actually can't believe how out-of-hand the rumors had gotten in light of the Garda statement. Baffling me how these rumours start when they are clearly so wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

batm!ke wrote: »
    I actually can't believe how out-of-hand the rumors had gotten in light of the Garda statement. Baffling me how these rumours start when they are clearly so wrong.
    Good old chinese whispers.
    Go through enough people and someone who was originally buying a copy of Jurassic Park is now being eaten by a T-Rex Purple Monkey Dishwasher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Touché
    Touché is a French word.

How many French people are coming in to Waterford without being vetted and given a medical first???

Questions must be asked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Mad stuff altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Mega Chin wrote: »
    batm!ke wrote: »
    Good old chinese whispers.
    Go through enough people and someone who was originally buying a copy of Jurassic Park is now being eaten by a T-Rex Purple Monkey Dishwasher

Think it was a washing machine actually lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Think it was a washing machine actually lol

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Adyx wrote: »

Lol, didn't realise there was an ACTUAL purple monkey dishwasher scenario, I was just being funny :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Guys, it's great to have a sense of humour about certain things alright, but the jokey tone in the last few posts are a bit crass in this instance I have to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

They're joking about the rumour mill that is this town. (which I myself became embroiled in this week thanks to a guard with a leaky mouth)

Nobody joked about the poor woman who lose her life at the weekend, nor would they ever dream of doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

They're joking about the rumour mill that is this town. (which I myself became embroiled in this week thanks to a guard with a leaky mouth)

Nobody joked about the poor woman who lose her life at the weekend, nor would they ever dream of doing so.

Fair enough, but I didn't say they were joking about the deceased woman, only that the tone of the last few posts weren't in keeping with the subject of the thread (Simpsons clips, smileys, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Meadows

i walk that road every night, this story scared the **** out of me. The night it happened the guards had it all blocked off and turned me back. I hoped it wasn't anything serious but sadly it was. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Just read this article and it turns out she worked in Tesco Ardkeen, I am in there pretty much everyday (due to the fact im brutal at weekly shops) so i would probably recognize her face if i saw it..

Anyway here is the article for anyone interested in reading it...

http://www.waterford-today.ie/waterford-today-news/13908-womans-death-under-garda-investigation-13908.html

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Meadows

but what on earth caused her to fall/jump out of the car?

I live near tesco so I pop in every few days (just came back from there) I might know her face. Anybody got a photo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

She was pushed?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Saw them doing what appeared to be a prayer session today near where she died, but on the opposite side of the road to where her body was found.. not sure why.

Advertisement