Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My dad gave me this cryptic puzzle

Options
  • 05-09-2011 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hey. My dad was trying to prove a point when it comes to puzzles and questions etc. So he decided to make up his own one. It consists of one statement which is. 'no good, but don't wear it out'

It's one word answer I think he said. He does alot of cryptic crosswords. So I'm assuming it's something like that. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,642 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Swish87 wrote: »
    Hey. My dad was trying to prove a point when it comes to puzzles and questions etc. So he decided to make up his own one. It consists of one statement which is. 'no good, but don't wear it out'

It's one word answer I think he said. He does alot of cryptic crosswords. So I'm assuming it's something like that. Any help would be appreciated. Cheers

Patience

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Swish87

Patience[/Quote]

He said that isn't it. But I can confirm that it's definitely a one word answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 59,604 ✭✭✭✭namenotavailablE

Is he willing to reveal the number of letters in the answer?

If it's an anagram, I'd guess there are 11 letters, using the following logic:
    1. The answer is a word that basically means 'no good'/ bad/ undesirable.
    2. The use of 'it out' in the clue is a cryptic device of saying you need to unjumble/ rearrange the letters of 1 or more words in the clue.
    3. So, I'm guessing that the answer involves rearranging the letters of the words 'but don't wear' (that's the 11 letters). However, I have no idea of what word you could make with those letters :) I've looked at words with 'under' and 'bad' but didn't get anywhere.
    I'm probably away off the mark.....

Another answer came to me- try 'negative' as the answer ;)

Negative = 'no good' and if you 'wear out' a photographic negative it's a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭Statistician

'Nothing' is the answer!

(I'm rubbish at cryptic crosswords)

• Advertisement

That looks even better- no good = no thing, where thing is a good (product). My money's switched to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

useless
    No good = useless.
    Dont wear it out = use less.

Advertisement