Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WHV- how much money did you bring with you?

Options
  • 05-09-2011 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

I'm having to part with a couple of items of property in order to part-fund my trip to NZ. In particular, I'm selling a motorbike. I have it VERY reasonably priced at €2,900 but I know bikes aren't selling at the moment.

Before I give it away to a bargain hunter for half nothing, I'm trying to figure out how much I need to actually bring with me to fund my initial rumbling about before I try to find work.

If I don't sell the bike here, I'll have about €3k left in the kitty after I arrive. This would be after buying a new bike in NZ as my main transport. Is that enough or should I be prepared to sell the bike at a silly price. Also, if the bike was here for my return, that would be no bad thing either. It's an exceptional example and I'll be kicking myself if I decide to come home after Christmas having given the bike away for nothing.

PS, I'm nearly 30 and a t-totaller, so I wouldn't exactly be partying it up 24/7, either.

WHV- how much money did you bring with you? 22 votes

€0 - €1.5k
    0% 0 votes
    €1.5k -€3k
    0% 0 votes
    €3k - €4.5k
    27% 6 votes
    €4.5k - €6k
    27% 6 votes
    €6k+
    45% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod Op I adjusted the options in lots of 1.5k rather than 1, to me 3-6k is the normal

and a condition of whv is to have access to sufficient funds (generally $5k)
    (access does not mean have it in your account btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

There should be a few extra options, 6-8k, 8-10k, 10k+

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

GiftofGab wrote: »
    There should be a few extra options, 6-8k, 8-10k, 10k+
    Agreed given the options you put in, I think you are under estimating the amount of money that is suitable.
    $5K is the min, anyone coming over with $1.5k, even in euros hasn't a clue what they are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Thats an eye opener, to say the least. I've only ever heard of someone getting off the plane with more than €10k once and he came back after six months having not worked a single day. Most of the people I've spoken to said they'd brought €3k/ €4k/ €5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

€10k 3 years ago is alot more than €10k now in terms of exchange rate, I'm bringing €10k with me for 2 months travelling then look for a job for the rest of the year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Mellor wrote: »
    Agreed given the options you put in, I think you are under estimating the amount of money that is suitable.
    $5K is the min, anyone coming over with $1.5k, even in euros hasn't a clue what they are doing.

Agreed, to come over even with 1.5k euro you would want to be INSANE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Me and the gf came over with 14.5k dollars between us. Got a good stretch from it but we didn't have to pay a bond or deposit when we landed luckily. Moved in with friends

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Myself and the gf are are hoping to bring €12,000 (16,000 AUD) between us to aus at the end of next year, were planning 3 weeks in Thailand first, how long do ya think it will last us before needing to work? We will be looking for work near enough to straight away but just want to know incase a job is hard to come by

Advertisement