Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mallorca: transfer from airport

• 05-09-2011 11:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭

I'm part of a group of 10 lads heading to Mallorca for a short cycling jolly this coming weekend. We're staying in Port de Pollenca which is a popular base for Irish and UK cyclists. I'm guessing many people on this forum have done this before so...

Anyone any advice on the best way to get from Palma Airport to Port de Pollenca? The standard taxis there are limited to 4 passengers which would require us to take 3 taxis and prove a bit expensive. Has anyone used those pre-bookable shuttle services before? I should say that none of us are bringing our own bikes so we don't need to worry about bike space.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 clashextra

You have to pre book busses from Palma airport; I found this out to my cost 2 years ago when we had to get a taxi to Alcudia, which is about 9km from Port de Polenca, and paid 95euro for the journey.
    Search for a bus company on google and it's normally 20euro a head for the round trip.
    You'll enjoy the cycling in Majorca, the roads are great and the climate is perfect. Do your best to climb up to Cap de Formentor, a lovely spin up pristine switchback roads.It starts just outside Port de Polenca and the view from the lighthouse at the top is spectacular. Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 41 CompositeJohn

I was there in April 09, got Bus No 1 into Plaça d'Espanya and then a bus 340 out to Port de Pollença. Booked nothing!

http://www.emtpalma.es/EMTPalma/Front/lineas.en.svr?accion=entrada&cod_linea=1

http://www.consorcidetransports.org/en/web/ctm/autobus/linia/340

Few nice routes out of Port de Pollença, nice mix of terrain giving options for hard and easy days.

http://www.globalspokes.com/Mallorca/mallorca-routes.htm

EDIT: If ye haven't hired bikes, procyclehire (nice lads) hadn't any left when I was there but got a nice Orbea off a little shop in Port de Pollença called March (or rent March). Bit cheaper too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

Thanks guys. I was there just two months ago and did about 750km on the bike. Top spot for it - that's why I'm going back again so soon! The difference though is that I was on a package trip then so I didn't have to worry about transfers.

Re the €95 fare from the airport to Alcudia, that is very surprising. The legal maximum fare (July 2011) from Palma Airport to Port de Pollenca is 'only' €73 and that is a slightly longer journey than to Alcudia. So I'm thinking that either you were ripped off or that there wasn't a limit in force at that time. But I very much appreciate the advice anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 joeythevet

I was in Alcudia in early May. Some excellent cycling routes in the Alcudia / Porto Pollensa area with good road surfaces to suit all abilities.

On arrival at Palma Airport at 9.00 pm i got my pre booked bus transfer to Alcudia & arrived there at 10-00 pm. Everything worked a treat & my return trip to Palma was spot on time.

I booked on www.palma-airport-transfers.com who are the only company with an office at Palma Airport. The staff at the office were helpful in directing me to my transfer bus. the transfer fee is 22 euro return.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭karlmyson

That looks good joey, thanks. I'm also heading to Mallorca with cantalach on Thurs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 clashextra

Rip off or not, 95euro is what I was charged in July 2009 and with 3 young kids plus sweetheart in tow, I was the only one paying so I wasn't impressed. Take it or leave the advise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Was there albeit on a non cycling basis in the summer. Booked onto coach with Shuttle direct. Was no hassle at all - 20min wait after we landed to round up all passengers. Then straight to Port de Pollença. Would fully recommend them

Advertisement