Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FLEAS!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 05-09-2011 12:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭

Guys I really need help
    Had a visit yesterday afternoon from an ould lad down the road who wanted to talk to my hubby no problem there
    He brought his dog in to the house with him as it was raining outside
    No problem there

The dog was INFESTED with fleas!
    Big problem there!
    I've hoovered everywhere downstairs and mopped the floor in the hall & kitchen with dettol (the dog was only in the sitting room)
    I'm finding the little hopping feckers everywhere including upstairs in the baby's room
    Our cat has free run of the house & was treated with flea drops about 2 weeks ago (he gets them every 4 weeks.. drops that is not fleas)
    I'm thinking the fleas hopped from dog to cat (They were in the same room for about 2 minutes of sniffing before the cat legged it)
    Cat carried them upstairs & now they're everywhere

HELP!!!!!!!!!!! Please!!!!!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Oh no you poor thing! Im not going to sugar coat this....you're in for ALOT of work here. Fleas have a 4 stage life cycle and need a blood meal in order to reproduce successfully...but adults can live for up to 1 year without actually feeding.Its unfortunate that its not confined to one room :o

Treat your cat again and isolate him to one area of the house until you get everything treated. This product is very good...Acclaim household flea spray.
    vet_kem_acclaim_2000_flea_spray_21481.jpg

You will need to spray thoroughly all furnishings,boil wash bedding,rugs etc. Dont have pets or babies in the rooms while doing this. Flea eggs can be well embedded in carpet fibres so you might have to get in the professionals if this doesnt work. Peppermint and clove oil mixture as a spray will also work as a repellant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

anniehoo wrote: »
    Fleas have a 4 stage life cycle and need a blood meal in order to reproduce successfully...but adults can live for up to 1 year without actually feeding.Its unfortunate that its not confined to one room :o

:eek:
    Oh Crap! :(
    Oh no you poor thing! Im not going to sugar coat this....you're in for ALOT of work here. Fleas have a 4 stage life cycle and need a blood meal in order to reproduce successfully...but adults can live for up to 1 year without actually feeding.Its unfortunate that its not confined to one room :o

Treat your cat again and isolate him to one area of the house until you get everything treated. This product is very good...Acclaim household flea spray.
    vet_kem_acclaim_2000_flea_spray_21481.jpg

You will need to spray thoroughly all furnishings,boil wash bedding,rugs etc. Dont have pets or babies in the rooms while doing this. Flea eggs can be well embedded in carpet fibres so you might have to get in the professionals if this doesnt work. Peppermint and clove oil mixture as a spray will also work as a repellant.

:(
    I wanna cry
    Thanks for your post
    Where do I get that spray stuff?
    And will the spot on stuff for the cat do the trick or do I need to get something stronger??

I can feel myself itching already :(

Any decent petshop or hardware shop should sell Acclaim. Literally start with the upstairs and isolate one room until you have it spotless.Move from room to room until all done.Dont go back into the room if you can help it until all affected rooms are done You can use Borax and a white vinegar solution as a carpet shampoo

Start today! You need to nip this in the bud quickly and keep your cat out or in one section of the house until you've finished. The fact that you dont have a dog is a good thing, but although cats/humans arent the dogs fleas natural hosts they will live for a certain length of time on us if they can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

Any decent petshop or hardware shop should sell Acclaim. Literally start with the upstairs and isolate one room until you have it spotless.Move from room to room until all done.Dont go back into the room if you can help it until all affected rooms are done You can use Borax and a white vinegar solution as a carpet shampoo

Start today! You need to nip this in the bud quickly and keep your cat out or in one section of the house until you've finished. The fact that you dont have a dog is a good thing, but although cats/humans arent the dogs fleas natural hosts they will live for a certain length of time on us if they can.

Thanks a million
    I'll get that stuff today and start it before the eldest gets home from school
    I've never had this before so I'm just clueless :(

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Thanks a million
    I'll get that stuff today and start it before the eldest gets home from school
    I've never had this before so I'm just clueless :(
    No problem! Do a thorough clean of the house today with that stuff if you can get it or any other flea treatment you can find and you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

very unlikely the fleas made it all round the house in one day. If your cat is treated, and remains that way, they won't be able to reproduce. Frontline plus will sort it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭mags16

My house and dog were infested with fleas last year. After washing every curtain, duvet and removable cushion/sofa cover, I sprayed the house with the stuff you get from the vets. Then I hoovered 3 times a day - every day - for a couple of weeks! A handy tip was to cut up a flea collar and put it in your hoover bag - that way you don't have to dispose of your hoover bag after each session. But don't put the bag contents into your compost bin.

It was a pain but it worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭Saaron

I remember my cat got fleas a few years ago and we hadn't found them early enough so they were everywhere our cat would sleep... UGH!

I sprayed all her regular sleeping areas in the house with flea spray, and then hoovered all the time..I sprayed regularly as well. You could literally see them in the seams of cushions, sofas and they'd even got to my bed as my cat managed to get in there one evening to sleep (she was never allowed in there).

Make sure to hoover the carpets and even get around the skirting boards just to be sure.

Anyway after spraying, hoovering and washing I eventually stopped seeing them but my god is it tough!

GOOD LUCK!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

Just a little tip a vet told me a long time ago, Get one of those flea collars and put it in your hoover bag :) (change your hoover bag first though)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

And keep the oul lad out as well next time as he's probably is as bad as the dog!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I have this vision of Angelfire greeting any visitors with one of those old brass insecticide pumps in her hand :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Hope there's no flea lovers reading this thread :D
    Let us know how you get on Angelfire as it's a problem I'm always worried about as we have a big hairy dog who could carry a ton of the little gits if they ever befriended him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Justask

red sean wrote: »
    Hope there's no flea lovers reading this thread :D
    Let us know how you get on Angelfire as it's a problem I'm always worried about as we have a big hairy dog who could carry a ton of the little gits if they ever befriended him.

Just make sure you strong hold them then you wont have any problem :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

red sean wrote: »
    And keep the oul lad out as well

I really hope that you mean the old man - mind you it might scare the fleas away :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Angelfire9, thats my worst nightmare. Happened to my dad a few years ago when a stray cat was sneaking in for a snooze.
    It was awful, we had to flea bomb the house. Not great idea with a baby, we sprayed and hoovered like mad anywhere the bombs might not reach, also hired a steam cleaner and did mattresses and stuff that wouldn't fit in the washing machine.
    Hopefully a good clean and spray will sort it, one visit shouldn't be that bad, poor dog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

Would definately get a flea fogger brilliant product works great!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭CookieMonster.x

When my dog had fleas, I gave him a bath with dog shampoo and added salt to the water and his fur (apparently deters fleas) and vinegar as well. Then the next day (that was late at night) I washed him down with salt water and vinegar water and when he was dry I gave him flea treatment. I think I put flea powder and bread soda on the mat he always lies on and hoovered it. I think that was it but I checked every few hours after that.
    The salt really works well so I'd try that (you probably have solved this by now so sorry) but there is also something you can do using Dawn dish soap. Google it as I'm not totally sure what you do but it attracts fleas to the water and they drown.
    Good luck in it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 DMGlampers

I bought a house which was infested with fleas and had to take on a multi phase attack on them as they started biting me. The powders and bombs did not work alone probably due to the life cycle of the flea. I believe they can lay dormant for 2 years until movement hatches them.

Another thing you can do is put plates in the corner of each room. Pour a small amount of water into them and add some washing up liquid, then place a lit tea light in the middle. The fleas jump toward heat sources so are drawn by the candles and drown in the soapy water. I would get 20 in each bowl every night.

Advertisement