Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog shampoo that actually MAKES FOAM

• 05-09-2011 12:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

could anyone advice me on what shampoo to buy for Cocker Spaniels ?

I have been buying shampoos that actually dont foam, making it very very hard to wash my dogs. would have to be organic please so I cna wash them when they go into the river for a swim, many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

falabo wrote: »
    could anyone advice me on what shampoo to buy for Cocker Spaniels ?

I have been buying shampoos that actually dont foam, making it very very hard to wash my dogs. would have to be organic please so I cna wash them when they go into the river for a swim, many thanks

I had the same problem with dog shampoos out there - I think I bought every kind possible - no foam - used way too much because of it - impossible to wash out - left the dog sticky and horrible feeling - and the smell, god don't get me started on the smell! Horrible! :( I gave up on dog shampoos and started using my own shampoo on her - and her coat is beautiful - so smooth, shiny/silky - and she smells gorgeous! I only use organic products myself so I knew it would be safe for her - it foams up a treat (on me and her!) - So I'd highly recommend anything from the Dr Organic range (they do shampoos and body soaps) - there's a handful of scents as well - using the honey one at the moment in this house and its one of my faves. I get them in the health food shop (Holland and Barrett usually) and price wise you get a much bigger bottle than any doggy shampoo I've found and it lasts a long long time as you don't really have to use that much over all.

http://www.drorganic.co.uk/honey-products.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭tatabubbly

Don't know many organic ones tbh but I use a tropiclean dog shampoo on my two terrors, foams up nice and I found it has lovely smells, I have the Kiwi one myself. I got mine in the pet shop I worked in but I'm sure it's online, sorry just seeing on their webpage that they are all natural!

http://www.tropiclean.net/news.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I use Vet Solutions, it's a big bottle about 8 or 9 quid at the vets, and it foams fairly well and smells coconutty and is good for sensative skin.
    There's another shampoo called Bow wow bouquet..I think it might be organic but I'm not 100% sure mollys.ie sell it I think.
    Or they might have an organic one on their site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭Groom!

A tip:

If you dilute the shampoo in a measuring jug with warm water it will

a) lather up much better
    b) last longer
    c) not freak the dog out when cold liquid hits their skin!

I buy mine from www.christies.co.uk :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I recently discovered Pet Head shampoos - foam up well, rinse really easily, leaves the dog squeaky clean (can be a tough feat to do this first time in my house!) and smells lovely. The bottles look a bit mad (with crazy "smells") and it's kinda pricey but I was (am!) so impressed with the results and you don't use much in each wash so it will last a while.

Some pet stores and groomers stock it (The Wagging Tail in Clonsilla have it in stock http://www.facebook.com/TheWaggingTail) and it can be sourced online (here ---> http://www.medicanimal.com/keywordsearch/~clearSearch=Y/~SEARCH_OPERATOR=AND/~SEARCH_STRING=Pet+Head/~VIEW_SIZE=14?gclid=CJ_e3Yf3hqsCFcEj3godVlA62Q and I'm sure there are other places that sell it)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

A shampoo that foams doesnt mean its a good shampoo. The same goes for a human shampoo aswell. If you're washing your hair we like to feel we're basically getting it all over and we're being productive...and foam gives that impression. The bigger the suds = cleaner hair. Not true!

Its a trick thats applied to loads of products E.g you know that "loading bar" that pops up when you're downloading something. Its basically put there so you feel like your computer is doing something and we dont get bored and start pressing random buttons and/or complaining. It would happily download by itself,without you seeing what its doing. Think about it!? Foam makes us feel like its doing something as we can see it spreading. There is no other reason for it to be there other than that.

If your dogs coat was greasy/oily it may be the fact that you put too much on and it wasnt washed out enough (has happened me with my own hair) !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

anniehoo wrote: »
    If your dogs coat was greasy/oily it may be the fact that you put too much on and it wasnt washed out enough (has happened me with my own hair) !

I done that once or twice when I first started washing my dog. Was wondering why every time he was out in the rain he'd come back in smelling of coconut! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

anniehoo wrote: »

I've worked for quite awhile with Human and Dog hair in various paid and volunteer positions. I know what hair (human and dog) feels like when you've added too much soap to it and not rinsed it enough. Most of the dog shampoos that I've bought still leave the coat (at least on my dog, others I'm sure get fantastic results) sticky feeling and the smell of them all was horrible, very medical smelling. I've just never liked it personally. For ages I've usually washed them with baby shampoo, its gentle and washes out really easy and never got the whole sticky afterwards thing, well, ok once but I had some "help" and they dumped more than half the bottle over the poor dog :eek: Accidently of course! But still, no amount of rinsing got that out easily! :rolleyes:

And you are spot on about both foam and pc loading bars - its more for an impression rather than any true purpose. With or without foam the dog will be clean and the download will download! The original OP was asking about organic shampoos and the Dr Organic line I suggested is indeed organic and (maybe) alot of people might not think of the health FOOD shop doing soaps, shampoos, deodorants, etc etc - so was just putting the info out there if they were interested in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

+1 - I use the J&J Baby No Tears on my Springer. Works a dream, and he not only looks good, but smells good too. Also makes detangling the ears easier too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

thanks everyone for loads of valuable advice. cant wait to try a few and keep those spaniel ears de-tangled ;-) (in between groomign sessions every 2 months)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

I recently discovered Pet Head shampoos - foam up well, rinse really easily, leaves the dog squeaky clean (can be a tough feat to do this first time in my house!) and smells lovely. The bottles look a bit mad (with crazy "smells") and it's kinda pricey but I was (am!) so impressed with the results and you don't use much in each wash so it will last a while.

Some pet stores and groomers stock it (The Wagging Tail in Clonsilla have it in stock http://www.facebook.com/TheWaggingTail) and it can be sourced online (here ---> http://www.medicanimal.com/keywordsearch/~clearSearch=Y/~SEARCH_OPERATOR=AND/~SEARCH_STRING=Pet+Head/~VIEW_SIZE=14?gclid=CJ_e3Yf3hqsCFcEj3godVlA62Q and I'm sure there are other places that sell it)

I love the smell of the different versions of it, our vet stocks it but, its made in China, and I won't buy a dog product thats made in a country that treats dogs so badly:( Its not a Chinese company, so I don't know why it has to be made there and shipped, I did email the company and ask them, but they never replied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Oh yeh the Pet Head one mentioned, I've seen that in Homevalue Hardware. Haven't tried it yet though.

Advertisement