Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

superlevy

• 05-09-2011 12:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

again! have been talking to a few people and some are in dire straits not knowing what to do, some got away with murder last year the amount they supplied:rolleyes: Teagasc man has said he's not going to talk on the subject at our discussion group- so not alot of help there...Glanbia are going to be deducting 28cpl from this month:eek: is it too early to dry off now for february calvers?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

if drying off feb calvers now, they would want to be watched well to make sure they dont get fat, or you will have trouble next spring.

we ve been on once a day for close on 6 wks, autum calvers got an extra 2 wks dry and spring calvers will get an extra 4 wks dry. sold some milkers last week and culling any thing with problems.
    putting a bit of effort in now, so as not to be holding back fresh cows next march.

heard some fools saying that 28c superlevy will still leave you with 6 or so cent for the milk.
    stick on 20c cost of production and you are out of pocket 14c, and that would be good lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

dar31 wrote: »

heard some fools saying that 28c superlevy will still leave you with 6 or so cent for the milk.
    stick on 20c cost of production and you are out of pocket 14c, and that would be good lads.
    i heard that too ,not a way to be working , me thinks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

we are making the cows eat out heavy covers , and yields are slipping a little, B/F % is over 4 and and we losing quota here also

we plan to milk OAD from about 10 th October and be fully dried off early november which would be about 4 weeks early for us,

silage should be good quality so as dar31 says we will monitoring the cows condition and maybe feeding extra straw before calving

not expecting much from temp leasing or flexi

hope to feed a lot of extra milk to calves next and cut well back on meals

reckon we will still be 5 to 10 % over quota next march, :(:(:mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,704 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ah sure if ye all pull back it will leave more for the few greedy bastards who've been getting away with it every year, milk away to *uck:D:D:D Nice to see them greedy bastards selling cows now for 400e a head

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    Ah sure if ye all pull back it will leave more for the few greedy bastards who've been getting away with it every year, milk away to *uck:D:D:D Nice to see them greedy bastards selling cows now for 400e a head
    apparently a lad a few miles from me who set up last year has a quota for 30 cows and has 200 cows:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

whelan1 wrote: »
    apparently a lad a few miles from me who set up last year has a quota for 30 cows and has 200 cows:rolleyes:

I can imagine him going into the bank manager trying to explain his cashflow problem LOL:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

if drying off feb calvers now, they would want to be watched well to make sure they dont get fat, or you will have trouble next spring.

we ve been on once a day for close on 6 wks, autum calvers got an extra 2 wks dry and spring calvers will get an extra 4 wks dry. sold some milkers last week and culling any thing with problems.
    putting a bit of effort in now, so as not to be holding back fresh cows next march.

Do you not think you'll be in the same position next year? Or do you believe this levy will be a one off?

I said we are going to be at least 5% over quota, I'm leaving SFA to anyone
    Tipp Man wrote: »
    Do you not think you'll be in the same position next year? Or do you believe this levy will be a one off?

IMO we will have a levy for the next couple of years.

in our case we are only slightly over in cow numbers , but the very fine weather in feb and mar plus the fact that there was no fear of levy 10/11 meant we were in full production on the 1 april , most of our over quota milk was supplied in the first 6 weeks of the quota year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

whos selling cows for that-must be bad quality-that kind of a cow wouldnt have much impact on a superlevy

must be jersey cross:D

• Advertisement

how much are lads over quota to date.

were 11% over
    and have take measures to limit it to this going forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Nice to see them greedy bastards selling cows now for 400e a head
    Proof or GTFO.

how much are lads over quota to date.

were 11% over
    and have take measures to limit it to this going forward
    i will be a bit under but thats due to loosing stock a couple of years ago , should be bang on the following year, must be one of a few that will be under

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I can imagine him going into the bank manager trying to explain his cashflow problem LOL:confused:

Solidarity among farmers is a delicate flower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

do you know lads it makes zero difference to you how much another fella is over quota unless you are over your self so stop dancing on their graves.in a good position myself but wouldnt condem any fella for the crime of milking cows.once a day isnt going to do much for it now,better off drying a bit early.cows are milking very cheap this year no ration since march and love getting milk statments this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

i will be a bit under but thats due to loosing stock a couple of years ago , should be bang on the following year, must be one of a few that will be under

I wil be under due to TB which reduced my cow numbers but I have a lot of heifers for next year.

Proof or GTFO.

What exactly do you want for proof? I wasn't selling them myself.

I ain't goin up to some lad coming out of the sellers box and sayin

'howya, you got a fair sh1tty price for them, do you mind if I take a photo of yer sellers card so I can stick it up on boards cos somefella called sh1tstirrer doesn't believe how bad the price of cows is?'

LostCovey wrote: »
    Solidarity among farmers is a delicate flower.

Solidarity my arse, Nobody gives a damn about fellas that are 5% or maybe 10% over. That can easily happen to anybody if its a good grass year, more cows stayed in calf etc etc

the problem that i have is with people milking 2, 3 or 4 times the amount of milk they have quota for. They are the real problem and the 1's taking the p##s quite frankly.

We increased our cows by 40% over the last few years but we bought every gallon of quota for them, a lot of it at big money. Other fellas blatantly ignored that a quota even existed and milked whatever the hell they wanted at no extra cost for quota purchase. They have made plenty of money in the last few years by ignoring the quota. It's easy pay that bit extra for grazing or leasing when you haven't bothered to buy the quota

Do you think i should feel "solidarity" towards these "fellow farmers"?

Solidarity my arse, Nobody gives a damn about fellas that are 5% or maybe 10% over. That can easily happen to anybody if its a good grass year, more cows stayed in calf etc etc

the problem that i have is with people milking 2, 3 or 4 times the amount of milk they have quota for. They are the real problem and the 1's taking the p##s quite frankly.

We increased our cows by 40% over the last few years but we bought every gallon of quota for them, a lot of it at big money. Other fellas blatantly ignored that a quota even existed and milked whatever the hell they wanted at no extra cost for quota purchase. They have made plenty of money in the last few years by ignoring the quota. It's easy pay that bit extra for grazing or leasing when you haven't bothered to buy the quota

agree 100%, when i started dairying in my own name quota was over £2.00 a gallon- could even have been 2.50- i had to build a new parlour , cubicles etc - which all now lie idle- alot of these guys are only in dairying as the price is good at the minute wait until the price falls where will they be?

Tipp Man,

In short, I do. Solidarity is our only chance, as an industry, and as a country, if you were listening to Morning Ireland this morning.

Taking pleasure in the discomfort of others leaves a bad taste in the mouth somehow. Live & let live, and you'll live longer.

There's a lot of people in this country in a lot of bother, and in most cases they had some hand in their own misfortune. Saying that is entirely different to taking pleasure in it.

I thought those posts were mean-spirited, and they did, just as keep_going said, come across to me as dancing on the graves of fellow farmers in financial trouble..

I believe our German paymasters call it schadenfreude in their language.

There's no word for it in our language because it doesn't sit easy with most Irish people.

LostCovey

• Advertisement

do you know i have a hunch that there is going to be something done about it,not sure why .probilly just the fine reduced but it dosent seem logical not to reduce the value of quota if you are going to abolish it.id say everyone afraid to say it in case we go mad all together

Tipp Man,

In short, I do. Solidarity is our only chance, as an industry, and as a country, if you were listening to Morning Ireland this morning.

Taking pleasure in the discomfort of others leaves a bad taste in the mouth somehow. Live & let live, and you'll live longer.

There's a lot of people in this country in a lot of bother, and in most cases they had some hand in their own misfortune. Saying that is entirely different to taking pleasure in it.

I thought those posts were mean-spirited, and they did, just as keep_going said, come across to me as dancing on the graves of fellow farmers in financial trouble..

There's no word for it in our language because it doesn't sit easy with most Irish people.

LostCovey

Your attitude is why this country is in a mess and we have fools looking for debt forgiveness for houses they could never afford

When houses were flying all you heard was how much richer Tom and Mary were as their houses had increased in value by so much. Its funny the "solidarity" word was never mentioned then or that Tom and Mary were going to share their new found "wealth" with everybody else

Same with the quota - you have people who have worked to the constraints of the quota for the last 25 years and did everything the correct way and then you have fellas who have litteraly turned a blind eye to it and done whatever the hell they wanted with no regard for the quota and more importantly no regard for their "fellow farmers" Tell me how they were showing solidarity by blatently ignoring the quota??

Solidarity means that some people can ignore rules and when it goes pear shaped for them then you have the mugs who do things in the proper way to pay for them. Its happened with houses and it will happen with farmers

but i dont think its fair then to penalise the people who are only slightly over and these guys with feck all quota who have produced many times their quota get away again

Tipp Man,

LostCovey

Here are 2 words for you LC and they come from the English language so you don't have to go to Germany for them - RESPONSIBILITY and CONSEQUENCES

People are (or should be is probably more appropriate in this country) responsible for their actions and they should suffer the consequences of those actions. If you act in a responsible manner then the consequences of those actions should be ok, if you act irresponsibly then you should be prepared to suffer the bad consequences of those actions.

People milking multiple times their quota acted in a completly irresonsible fashion so they should be prepared for the consequences

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Proof or GTFO.

What exactly do you want for proof? I wasn't selling them myself.

I ain't goin up to some lad coming out of the sellers box and sayin

'howya, you got a fair sh1tty price for them, do you mind if I take a photo of yer sellers card so I can stick it up on boards cos somefella called sh1tstirrer doesn't believe how bad the price of cows is?'
    calved heifers down south making 1400 older milling cows making 1100 cull cows making 700+ and you wonder why I don't believe you.

Your attitude is why this country is in a mess and we have fools looking for debt forgiveness for houses they could never afford

When houses were flying all you heard was how much richer Tom and Mary were as their houses had increased in value by so much. Its funny the "solidarity" word was never mentioned then or that Tom and Mary were going to share their new found "wealth" with everybody else

Same with the quota - you have people who have worked to the constraints of the quota for the last 25 years and did everything the correct way and then you have fellas who have litteraly turned a blind eye to it and done whatever the hell they wanted with no regard for the quota and more importantly no regard for their "fellow farmers" Tell me how they were showing solidarity by blatently ignoring the quota??

Solidarity means that some people can ignore rules and when it goes pear shaped for them then you have the mugs who do things in the proper way to pay for them. Its happened with houses and it will happen with farmers

You know Tip Man, I don't disagree with a word you have written.

And people who took silly risks will pay the price.

However that is very different from the smug sniggering that started this off. I thought it was cold and tasteless, that's all.

LostCovey

talking to the milk manager today and they mentioned that there was a good few milking once a day they are happy enough with it.dosnt drop cows as much as you think when you allow for b/f but are loving the life.lactose is dropping fast though so probaly will have to dry early

calved heifers down south making 1400 older milling cows making 1100 cull cows making 700+ and you wonder why I don't believe you.

You were in a different mart to me, I don't think we saw the same cows being sold, lets agree to differ on this one. You saw what you saw down south and I saw what I saw in a mart near me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭Bactidiaryl

the wheel of fortune ladies and gentlemen, turns turns turns.

• Advertisement

I saw what I saw in a mart near me.

What mart was it?

can anyone remember how much the country was over quota at this stage last year?

can anyone remember how much the country was over quota at this stage last year?

i think it was just on quota or maybe starting to head a little over.
    most of the extra milk came from now till april

I thought it was under? we milked well into December last year and were over quota don't think we would have if a levy was threatening

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pappa J

Was talking to a Teagasc Advisor at a farm walk last week. He was saying if you supply 10% over quota the fine equates to 2.5c/ltr loss to your entire years supply if you are basing the figures on a base milk price of 28c/ltr and a superlevy figure of 28c/ltr>
    If you are 20% over the figure is 4.7c/ltr,
    if 30% over its 6.5c/ltr and
    if you reach 40% over you loose 8c/ltr off your entire years supply.

So if your milk price is up to 34c or more on average if you have good protein, and you go 20% over quota you should end up with an average milk price of 29.3c/ltr for the year, and that includes paying any superlevy.

Its all about figures guys. You can be the best cowman in the world but if you can't stand back and look at the situation logically you could be cutting your nose off to spite your face ;)

Pappa J wrote: »
    Was talking to a Teagasc Advisor at a farm walk last week. He was saying if you supply 10% over quota the fine equates to 2.5c/ltr loss to your entire years supply if you are basing the figures on a base milk price of 28c/ltr and a superlevy figure of 28c/ltr>
    If you are 20% over the figure is 4.7c/ltr,
    if 30% over its 6.5c/ltr and
    if you reach 40% over you loose 8c/ltr off your entire years supply.

So if your milk price is up to 34c or more on average if you have good protein, and you go 20% over quota you should end up with an average milk price of 29.3c/ltr for the year, and that includes paying any superlevy.

Its all about figures guys. You can be the best cowman in the world but if you can't stand back and look at the situation logically you could be cutting your nose off to spite your face ;)

Hmm sounds good if you like loosing money

Did your Teagasc man give any indication as to how a fella is supposed to get over the cash flow problems either now with Coops currently stopping payment for people well over? Or what about next years milk cheques when the first few cheques have to go to pay for this years excesses??

What about next year when the cows are unleashed again??

• Advertisement

Hmm sounds good if you like loosing money

How do you reckon you're loosing money if

1. You supply 20% more milk (Doesn't mean a 20% penalty)
    2. You're getting more for your milk this year than last year (There are always some exceptions)
    3. You have the value of the extra cows still on your books, (More leverage with banks) you have the value of the extra calves and you have the option to give heifers a try on the farm for 12 months milking before you choose which ones to go.

You mentioned cashflow. You're and adult, i would have assumed you would have had the cop on to hold on to the extra money that was coming in faster than last year earlier on ..... You do the budgeting and money management, don;t be depending on your co-op to give you the money and say" good lad, here's you money for this month. If the attitude is spend it as fast as it comes in, then i'm sorry we're not on the same level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

With that logic I now understand why people are prepared to pay super levy fine
    Does he apply same logic to his wages

think teagasc are trying to justify the fook up that was made over superlevy... think they are better just to keep quiet

Been having trouble with them figures, and assuming the teagas clad you talked about was using vetted figures, it caused me more confusion.
    The only way I could stack up them figures is if the was no account for the cost of producing the extra milk. The greater the % over the greater the loss.

In relation to the bank, extra stock on the book does look good, but in this climate the banks won't be fooled, extra stock in a down Market will show your lack of ability to manage your farm. Not one bank want to hear the words over quota or super levy, as the only want aaa rate customers. And the lads further up the line know little or nothing about farming, but have been briefed on the buzz words like SUPER LEVY.

Then thems my thinkings, as they say it your money do what you want with it

How do you reckon you're loosing money if

1. You supply 20% more milk (Doesn't mean a 20% penalty)
    2. You're getting more for your milk this year than last year (There are always some exceptions)
    3. You have the value of the extra cows still on your books, (More leverage with banks) you have the value of the extra calves and you have the option to give heifers a try on the farm for 12 months milking before you choose which ones to go.

You mentioned cashflow. You're and adult, i would have assumed you would have had the cop on to hold on to the extra money that was coming in faster than last year earlier on ..... You do the budgeting and money management, don;t be depending on your co-op to give you the money and say" good lad, here's you money for this month. If the attitude is spend it as fast as it comes in, then i'm sorry we're not on the same level.

Out of curiousity have you ever actually paid a levy??

By the way I don't particluarly appreciate your snotting attitude either

• Advertisement

Been having trouble with them figures, and assuming the teagas clad you talked about was using vetted figures, it caused me more confusion.
    The only way I could stack up them figures is if the was no account for the cost of producing the extra milk. The greater the % over the greater the loss.

In relation to the bank, extra stock on the book does look good, but in this climate the banks won't be fooled, extra stock in a down Market will show your lack of ability to manage your farm. Not one bank want to hear the words over quota or super levy, as the only want aaa rate customers. And the lads further up the line know little or nothing about farming, but have been briefed on the buzz words like SUPER LEVY.

Then thems my thinkings, as they say it your money do what you want with it

The reason you are confused is because they don't work unless the cow lives on fresh air for the year

Some very rough and ready numbers:

80 cows milking 400,000 litres @ 28 cent gives sales of 112k
    cost @ 17 cent gives total costs of 68k
    Profit of 44k

Now increase to 100 cows but still only 400,000 quota

100 cows milking 500,000 litres @ 28 cent gives sales of 140k
    cost @ 17 cent gives total costs of 85k
    Levy 100,000 lites @ 28 cent is 28k
    Profit = 140k - (85k +28k) = 27k

so 17k less profit and the potential to be in exactly the same situation in 2013 - pure madness

If that poster really wants to increase his stock value then rear some calves, buy some weanlings whatever. I have never heard of such nonsense of increasing the stock value with absolutely no regard for costs

It makes no money to supply over quota milk no matter what way you do the sums but if someone does intend increasing cow numbers post 2015 there is no point in waiting till april 1 2015 to go and buy or breed heifers,they will not be there.So some people are pushing on numbers now because what is inseminated to dairy breed next year those heifer calves will calve down into a quota free world(i know some think there will be quotas of another kind ).You cant get that heifer calf if you dont have the cow.Its a long game but the hope is that something may be done about it along the way

keep going wrote: »
    It makes no money to supply over quota milk no matter what way you do the sums but if someone does intend increasing cow numbers post 2015 there is no point in waiting till april 1 2015 to go and buy or breed heifers,they will not be there.So some people are pushing on numbers now because what is inseminated to dairy breed next year those heifer calves will calve down into a quota free world(i know some think there will be quotas of another kind ).You cant get that heifer calf if you dont have the cow.Its a long game but the hope is that something may be done about it along the way

I hear what your saying but next year coming is surely the time to be looking at getting all cows incalf to a dairy bull and increasing your numbers that way.

It just seems to me to be a mad panic to get up to your maximum number of cows as quickly as possible. Whats the rush?? The Coops can't handle the milk, there will be restrictions of another kind post quota and fellas end up paying a levy for the privledge. It's all just a mad panic with no joined up thinking whatsoever from farmer level up to Coop level.

It's kind of a reflection of society really IMO - everything has to be the biggest, the best and the fastest and has to be done right now or yesterday if possible. It seems that the days of organic growth (for a lot of sectors, not just farming) are over, unless you can become huge immediately then you haven't a chance (seems to be the modern theory). Of course this plays into the banks hands as people go in over their head as opposed to taking a calm sensible approach and building a business properly

I hear what your saying but next year coming is surely the time to be looking at getting all cows incalf to a dairy bull and increasing your numbers that way.

It just seems to me to be a mad panic to get up to your maximum number of cows as quickly as possible. Whats the rush?? The Coops can't handle the milk, there will be restrictions of another kind post quota and fellas end up paying a levy for the privledge. It's all just a mad panic with no joined up thinking whatsoever from farmer level up to Coop level.

It's kind of a reflection of society really IMO - everything has to be the biggest, the best and the fastest and has to be done right now or yesterday if possible. It seems that the days of organic growth (for a lot of sectors, not just farming) are over, unless you can become huge immediately then you haven't a chance (seems to be the modern theory). Of course this plays into the banks hands as people go in over their head as opposed to taking a calm sensible approach and building a business properly

Couldn,t agree with you more but i d like to make 2 points.We have 3 years to organise extra processing,come on we are not the public sector,there is no reason we cant do it.Secondly 30 years of quota has already stunted organic growth,just look at ni

Nail on the head Keep Going

One sure thing, look at anyone around you over the past 20 -30 years, if you stand still time will pass you out. Sure you can be a busy fool but you have to keep evolving. You don't see to many people milking 30 cow herds now and it isn't that long ago that 30 cows was the average size herd in the country.

We can all stamp our feet but the rest of the world has to have the same attitude in terms of not wanting to increase herd sizes, otherwise we'll get left behind.

I'd love not to have to do any more work than i have to !!

keep going wrote: »
    Couldn,t agree with you more but i d like to make 2 points.We have 3 years to organise extra processing,come on we are not the public sector,there is no reason we cant do it.Secondly 30 years of quota has already stunted organic growth,just look at ni

Personally I think that it is more than just a bit of extra processing capacity. We need to dramatically reduce the number of coops and they need to be far more streamlined. Like I said the joined up thinking is missing at the top as well as the bottom. Van der Hayden or whatever his name is seems to agree also according to the indo

Nail on the head Keep Going

One sure thing, look at anyone around you over the past 20 -30 years, if you stand still time will pass you out. Sure you can be a busy fool but you have to keep evolving. You don't see to many people milking 30 cow herds now and it isn't that long ago that 30 cows was the average size herd in the country.

We can all stamp our feet but the rest of the world has to have the same attitude in terms of not wanting to increase herd sizes, otherwise we'll get left behind.

I'd love not to have to do any more work than i have to !!

i'm not saying anything about standing still - I'm talking about expanding in a clear cordinated manner within the constraints of a quota. We have increased our quota by 40% since 2007 and will continue to increase it. Bu

Money spent on a levy is probably the worst expenditure any farm in the world could make - a complete waste

Also its not about the size of your herd - its about the efficeincy and profitabilty of your herd - even the largest dairy farmer in the country said this on tv not so long ago. 200 cows is great but if they have loans of 500k or more then 100 cows with no loans is better

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

The reason you are confused is because they don't work unless the cow lives on fresh air for the year

Some very rough and ready numbers:

80 cows milking 400,000 litres @ 28 cent gives sales of 112k
    cost @ 17 cent gives total costs of 68k
    Profit of 44k

Now increase to 100 cows but still only 400,000 quota

100 cows milking 500,000 litres @ 28 cent gives sales of 140k
    cost @ 17 cent gives total costs of 85k
    Levy 100,000 lites @ 28 cent is 28k
    Profit = 140k - (85k +28k) = 27k

so 17k less profit and the potential to be in exactly the same situation in 2013 - pure madness

If that poster really wants to increase his stock value then rear some calves, buy some weanlings whatever. I have never heard of such nonsense of increasing the stock value with absolutely no regard for costs
    I think pappa js point was the end result after the superlevy is paid would equate to a milk price of nearly 30c over the total produced for the year including the fine. And i think he is right up to a point. Would the producer facing that fine be better off cutting off his supply now ie would he/she have more money if they dried off? Yes too.

I think the two of you agree but just differ on your attitude to paying the superlevy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 centre 13

Finished cows or stores..I had my culls on oad for a month...dry now 10 days should I sell or fatten..nice cover on them.

centre 13 wrote: »
    Finished cows or stores..I had my culls on oad for a month...dry now 10 days should I sell or fatten..nice cover on them.

I reckon let them off if you are happy with the price. Cows take too long to fatten if you are pumping feed into them. If they are running with the milkers during the summer (Like you did) they are paying their way.

• Advertisement
Advertisement