Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

superlevy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pappa J

5live thats what i meant, but i think at this time of the year your protein is through the roof, mine is 3.84 yesterday. thats a nice bit above the base price but i still wouldn't supply above 20% over quota under any circumstances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

centre 13 wrote: »
    Finished cows or stores..I had my culls on oad for a month...dry now 10 days should I sell or fatten..nice cover on them.

Jack Kennedy in the comic says sell now in the marts,

however the figures he showed certainly made my mind up to fatten ours, we

hope to factory them December mostly off grass and a couple kgs. of barley mix for the last couple of weeks

Tipp Man wrote: »
    i'm not saying anything about standing still - I'm talking about expanding in a clear cordinated manner within the constraints of a quota. We have increased our quota by 40% since 2007 and will continue to increase it. Bu

Money spent on a levy is probably the worst expenditure any farm in the world could make - a complete waste

Also its not about the size of your herd - its about the efficeincy and profitabilty of your herd - even the largest dairy farmer in the country said this on tv not so long ago. 200 cows is great but if they have loans of 500k or more then 100 cows with no loans is better

+1

I have always said that profit is not about how many gallons are in the tank, it's what it costs to produce it that counts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭stanflt

Pappa J wrote: »
    5live thats what i meant, but i think at this time of the year your protein is through the roof, mine is 3.84 yesterday. thats a nice bit above the base price but i still wouldn't supply above 20% over quota under any circumstances

3.84prot thats brilliant- mine only at 3.61

how are they yielding

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Pappa J

Doing abit over 16lts. changing from 25% autumn calving to 100% spring so that accounts for the high prot with some cows almost dry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

doing my bit here:D, milk supply has gone up 200 gallons a collection in the last week at 3.42 protein and 4.02 bf... we have never had constituents like that here , i am putting it down to the fact that we only stopped topping just about 10 days ago

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Miller80

200 gallons or litres?

The weather has been crap the last week and it was drying out again until last night/this morning. Bringing cows in at 3 or 4pm to give them round bales, Cows going mad for them. Really good quality bales got from strong grazing paddocks. 10 cows dried off and cows milking 21 litres at 4.05 fat and 3.45 protein. late calvers keeping yield up and pulling back protein. usually sept is a great month for us, with cows milking well on after grass but its a lot harder this year with strip grazing and feeding silage. We must be getting a lot worse weather than rest of country! the joys of the west of ireland!!

Miller80 wrote: »
    200 gallons or litres?

The weather has been crap the last week and it was drying out again until last night/this morning. Bringing cows in at 3 or 4pm to give them round bales, Cows going mad for them. Really good quality bales got from strong grazing paddocks. 10 cows dried off and cows milking 21 litres at 4.05 fat and 3.45 protein. late calvers keeping yield up and pulling back protein. usually sept is a great month for us, with cows milking well on after grass but its a lot harder this year with strip grazing and feeding silage. We must be getting a lot worse weather than rest of country! the joys of the west of ireland!!
    200 gallons , have 26 calved in the last few weeks :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Miller80

oh right that explains it. im not thinking this morning :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

I have great sympathy for guys that have expanded blindly without putting their own figures on it and now find themselves massively over quota and maybe already incurring a super levy, I believe there will be no lifeline this year or next to save them from the levy but what gets my goat is the view coming from the IFA that this expansion must be carefully planned and that markets have to be found first, If the shackles come off in 2015 this country has a chance to make a viable dairy industry that will create jobs and will drive agri export revenue which will benifit the country as a whole. Questions must be asked as to how serious this agri minister or indeed this government is committed to their food harvest 2020 when you see that there is no one responsable for its implamentation, Where is the voice of the young farmers out there (or are there any) they should be screaming or are they so close to the IFA that they cannot?

I'm not a young farmer but i am sick of ICMSA/IFA looking to hold on to the status-quo historical payments and quotas!
    Lets look forward not back and build a profitable industry that will provide employment from agriculture.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

Thats very fine but the farmer may end up a busy fool, in my my mind milk price going forward is paramount

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭PMU

red bull wrote: »
    Thats very fine but the farmer may end up a busy fool, in my my mind milk price going forward is paramount
    milk price in the future will be dictated by world market price,we will have no control over it.we have to run our business efficiently and expect a more volatile price. survive when its poor,put it in your pocket when its good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 733 ✭✭✭jeff greene

wonder is that anything to do with the ad that was in the journal earlier in the year also from meath looking for a ridiculous price

see on the front of the journal this week that supplies have crashed in october , probably due to the crap weather if anything:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

whelan1 wrote: »
    see on the front of the journal this week that supplies have crashed in october , probably due to the crap weather if anything:)

That and i'd say half the herds in the country are nearly dry at this stage

That and i'd say half the herds in the country are nearly dry at this stage
    wonder where many people actually docked the 28 cpl in their september cheques?

spoke with a lad today who heard of lads being offered 14 cpl from northern guys for their milk

I have heard of farmers who are looking for milk delivered to their tank and are charging 20 cent for the priviledge - No takers from what i have heard

Our cows are milking like absolute troopers at the moment, God above only knows whats going to dry them off. They are in top quality grass which is up to their ears. If weather stays anyway decent would hope to keep them out till December.

Was on twice a day until last weekend doing 19.5 litres, 4.08 BF and 3.82 Prot
    Once a day now and they are still doing 14.5 litres - with the amount of grass they have there is no stopping them

Will be well over quota now it's looking like

I have heard of farmers who are looking for milk delivered to their tank and are charging 20 cent for the priviledge - No takers from what i have heard

Our cows are milking like absolute troopers at the moment, God above only knows whats going to dry them off. They are in top quality grass which is up to their ears. If weather stays anyway decent would hope to keep them out till December.

Was on twice a day until last weekend doing 19.5 litres, 4.08 BF and 3.82 Prot
    Once a day now and they are still doing 14.5 litres - with the amount of grass they have there is no stopping them

Will be well over quota now it's looking like

we on OAD for almost 2 weeks and have tightened up the grass, no meals, and cows getting middling bale silage after milking, just under 12 ltr/day

BF has gone up to 4.98 (which means a further deduction from quota) P 4.4 ,

scc to 220 which is the the highest in about 5 years :(

would not be in favour of OAD long term, from our brief experience so far

• Advertisement

being nosey now, what time do ye do your once a day milking at?

Milk ours at 8am every day

before 7.00 am

superlevy-no sign of it in carnaross today
    had 4 out
    heifer made 1380
    2nd calver made 1440
    and 3rd calvers made 1080 and 1180

pretty pleased even with the price-if i had kept them they would of cost me 5k in superlevy fine and would of had to feed them:eek:

stanflt wrote: »
    had 4 out
    heifer made 1380
    2nd calver made 1440

pretty pleased even with the price-if i had kept them they would of cost me 5k in superlevy fine and would of had to feed them:eek:
    was there many dairy stock there? did you go to tom kellys sale?

was there many dairy stock there? did you go to tom kellys sale?

about 20 cows 5/6 unsold

didnt go to tks sale but auld man did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

had 4 out
    heifer made 1380
    2nd calver made 1440

Were they freshly calved?

Were they freshly calved?

about 5weeks calved

had 4 out
    heifer made 1380
    2nd calver made 1440

see montbelliarde heifers on dd for 2000:eek: surely no one will pay that amount in the current climate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

see montbelliarde heifers on dd for 2000:eek: surely no one will pay that amount in the current climate

some people are too proud to accept the current market , a grand would be more realistic at the moment , its not just the super levy situation , the country is over run with dairy stock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

the only thing is stock is starting to get as valuable for meat as for milking so wouldnt expect a complete crash.also a lot of fellas are holding numbers but just milking less out of them in different ways or doing big culls and getting rid of messy stock.and there is a good bit of stock going to england/ni esecially down south,prices might n be fancy but not throw away prices either and as much as they have been making in the recent past

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭red bull

saw 5 montbeliarde cows 4th calvers freshly calved make 1800 last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

keep going wrote: »
    the only thing is stock is starting to get as valuable for meat as for milking so wouldnt expect a complete crash.also a lot of fellas are holding numbers but just milking less out of them in different ways or doing big culls and getting rid of messy stock.and there is a good bit of stock going to england/ni esecially down south,prices might n be fancy but not throw away prices either and as much as they have been making in the recent past

good point , truth be told , cull cows were worth more this summer than fresh calvers a lot of the time :eek: + montys are as big as bullocks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭Begob

Got a letter from the lovely Glanbia the other day announcing the relaxation of superlevy deductions and stating that some co op's are now under quota.
    This ties in with what I've heard that they are actively looking for milk at the moment.

We were going to be a little bit under but I've let the cows out today and hope to end up about 10% over come the end of march
    I s'pose the demand for temp leasing willdisappear now but it's still wise to look for some is it?

its hard to know, alot of farmers will be back milking in january... my cows are currently giving 100 gallons a collection above last december, but i have plenty of quota to cover it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

from a non diary farm side, will this result in more dairy farmers selling there non replacement calves now instead of keeping them and feeding them excess milk?

from a non diary farm side, will this result in more dairy farmers selling there non replacement calves now instead of keeping them and feeding them excess milk?
    jeez lad, you still looking for calves?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

YES :D , i am to buy off a farmer as i got :eek: by a dealer las year.

Herself doesnt want bull calves and to be honest the herd is in her name :)

Key
    :eek: =shafted
    :) = anything for an easy life

jeez lad, you still looking for calves?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

YES :D , i am to buy off a farmer as i got :eek: by a dealer las year.

Herself doesnt want bull calves and to be honest the herd is in her name :)

Key
    :eek: =shafted
    :) = anything for an easy life
    So tell us more how did the dealer shaft you?

• Advertisement

Begob wrote: »
    Got a letter from the lovely Glanbia the other day announcing the relaxation of superlevy deductions and stating that some co op's are now under quota.
    This ties in with what I've heard that they are actively looking for milk at the moment.

We were going to be a little bit under but I've let the cows out today and hope to end up about 10% over come the end of march
    I s'pose the demand for temp leasing willdisappear now but it's still wise to look for some is it?
    why the hell would yu want to be 10% over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Begob wrote: »

i wouldn't get to carried away yet,
    there has been a lot of measures taken on farms around the country to reduce the risk of superlevy, and these measures have been working as we can see from the monthly reduction in the % over quota.

however this could be very short lived, as the increase in numbers to calve in this spring, along with a general effort to achieve a compact calving pattern will leave the country a wash with milk in feb, and esp the month of march, add in the likely hood of a mild winter and early grass, there could be a wave of milk heading for the 30th march

dairies are quietly crying out for milk at the moment to keep processing volumes up.

were in the eye of the storm at the moment, and next march could top all records for production.
    dont take your eye off the ball

in the last 25 years if the country wasnt over quota the first of the year it wasnt over quota at the end of march.its 0.4 over at the end november so it will be interesting to see how its going to pan out

the country is on quota because a lot of cows were dry early. they will calve in good condition and milk well in spring.everyone under quota now will still fill it by apr1.those over now will be in trouble then.milk collected in slurry tankers instead of lorries.co-ops wont collect over quota suppliers until apr 1

processors will still take the milk, it makes no difference to them and they will still make their margin on the milk

what do people think now, will there be a superlevy?

• Advertisement

even though we have been under at 31 dec i still think the country will be over but its hard to know who will be more affected depending on coop or quota size.some might get away with a good bit and more not.met a fella yesterday over since july and is supplying as normal

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭grumpyfarmer

Well arrabawn just paid out the superlevy money stopped up to the end of Dec, and announced they are now 2.5 million ltrs under quota as of the end. of Jan...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

i think it will be ok , our milkman (lakeland) says he never seen milk as low not getting half of last years supply in jan or febuary , i ed say connacht gold might take the balance of over supply off glanbia as they were around 5 % under

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Glanbia text 20th February: Superlevy Alert, Trends in Glanbia showing weekly supplies greater than 2011, very high risk of superlevy penalties. Please manage supplies to end March.

Min wrote: »
    Glanbia text 20th February: Superlevy Alert, Trends in Glanbia showing weekly supplies greater than 2011, very high risk of superlevy penalties. Please manage supplies to end March.

hard to manage it at this stage:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement