Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

superlevy

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

whelan1 wrote: »
    kevthegaff wrote: »
    What's the story with flexi milk, I have 50k gallon quota, how much flexi should I get. Looks like I'm gona be full in August :-((
    tbh i have no sympathy for ya, you know what your quota is....
    I don't agree with you, I believe farming is like any other business where your producing a commodity, you should be able to sell as much as you produce, the price should dictate who can keep producing. I started 4 yrs ago buying quota from scratch paying over 50 k for what I have, your at an extreme disadvantage compared to farmers who have inherited(lucky) quota. There is a lot of inefficient dairy farmers who are in this bracket chugging along with no worries. It's called competition, which will improve dairy farming when quotas are abolished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

have said it beofre, you dont know how easy you have it.... i paid up on £2.50 a gallon for quota so didnt get quota for nothing unlike some

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

I don't agree with you, I believe farming is like any other business where your producing a commodity, you should be able to sell as much as you produce, the price should dictate who can keep producing. I started 4 yrs ago buying quota from scratch paying over 50 k for what I have, your at an extreme disadvantage compared to farmers who have inherited(lucky) quota. There is a lot of inefficient dairy farmersdvise who are in this bracket chugging along with no worries. It's called competition, which will improve dairy farming when quotas are abolished.

I'd advise ya to duck, if that was aimed at whelan1

I don't agree with you, I believe farming is like any other business where your producing a commodity, you should be able to sell as much as you produce, the price should dictate who can keep producing. I started 4 yrs ago buying quota from scratch paying over 50 k for what I have, your at an extreme disadvantage compared to farmers who have inherited(lucky) quota. There is a lot of inefficient dairy farmers who are in this bracket chugging along with no worries. It's called competition, which will improve dairy farming when quotas are abolished.
    so if i go out and buy 400 cows in the morning i should be allowed to produce in the same way as those in the business for years - get real.... if you have your quota filled in august that is total mis management of your situation..... so what do you live on from august til next may?

[/QUOTE]
    so if i go out and buy 400 cows in the morning i should be allowed to produce in the same way as those in the business for years - get real.... if you have your quota filled in august that is total mis management of your situation..... so what do you live on from august til next may?[/Quote]
    You still need investment of over a million for 400 cows and land of course, yes I believe u should be able, I'm banking on flexi milk and no supelevy this year, nct yr selling cows which is a killer after building up a good herd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

gotta agree with whealan1

Quotas suck, but they're the regulatory framework of the industry you're operating in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

It's the likes of you that are going to **** it up for everybody when the quota goes - what you call efficiency is in reality oversuppling the coops with milk and bang goes the price

And when that does happen the fellas that are "chugging" along might be in a much better position than you if you have borrowings

you are deliberatly producing way over your quota - if you get fined for doing so then you deserve ZERO sympathy

It would be grand for lidl if they were the only business to sell groceries, alcohol etc, it would be good for the customer too!

full in august is taking the pi** a bit,
    esp when the country was over last year, and a near miss the previous year

any year the country has been over in june, there has been a superlevy.
    country 2% over end of june.

Hopefully in 3 yrs we wont be having this debate. Normally if you have less than 70k gallons you get more flexi milk, I'll have to chat with the co op about it nct week. I only got 900 gls for temp lease round 1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,550 ✭✭✭Min

Hopefully in 3 yrs we wont be having this debate. Normally if you have less than 70k gallons you get more flexi milk, I'll have to chat with the co op about it nct week. I only got 900 gls for temp lease round 1.

If one has a small milk quote and in this case less than 35,000 gallons, that it is safe to supply upto 35,000 when it comes to getting flexi milk, after that one is looking to get themselves into trouble.
    That is what I was told in regards to who can oversupply.

The thing is everyone is going to be milking more as we head towards the end of quotas, in that there will be less unfilled milk quotas about for the flexi milk so one will have to milk according to their current milk quota.

look at the uk at the minute:eek: seriously now is the time to plan that we dont go down this road

look at the uk at the minute:eek: seriously now is the time to plan that we dont go down this road

How much per litre are they getting paid?

Min wrote: »

How much per litre are they getting paid?
    Less than here I think, around 26c but their costs are way higher. A lot of the farmers over there have the cows in the majority of the year. It's gas teagasc are advising farmers to milk more cows yet there is gona be a lot of farmers facing huge fines!

Less than here I think, around 26c but their costs are way higher. A lot of the farmers over there have the cows in the majority of the year. It's gas teagasc are advising farmers to milk more cows yet there is gona be a lot of farmers facing huge fines!
    in my area teagasc are not- anymore- saying to milk more cows, they say to milk what you can handle/cope with... no use having 300 cows on 30 acres....the main problem in england is the farmers still have the same amount of ows as 10-15 years ago but they are milking alot better.... also they also had the assumption of no superlevy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

Are you sure it's not 26pence/ ltr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The euro/sterling rate is surely having an influence at the minute also, 78pence/euro has given a bit of an advantage to us over anyone producing milk in the UK.

Alot of farmers I know are very negative towards teagasc also, I'd agree with Whelan here, They have been nothing but help for me, efficiency before scale always. Most of the discussion group meeting that I have been involved with are based around topics of improving efficiency, like grassland management, replacement heifer rearing, ebi etc!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

I would like you to come here in circa 5 years time and see if you have the same outlook, some how I don't think you will,

Have you studied what has happened in The UK and US?

ever thought if the eastern EU block countries expand,?

they have already crippled some of our top industry , they are not as fortunate as ourselves in farming, but nevertheless they are a serious threat.

snowman707 wrote: »
    I would like you to come here in circa 5 years time and see if you have the same outlook, some how I don't think you will,

they have already crippled some of our top industry , they are not as fortunate as ourselves in farming, but nevertheless they are a serious threat.
    whats going to happen here in 5 yrs, im curious:confused:

i really have to laugh at your atitude.... i too would be interested to see you in a few years time, there are guys here with decades of experience in the dairy industry but you with 4-5 years experience know better:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Viewtodiefor

snowman707 wrote: »

It's happened before and it will happen again! too much milk, not a big enough market, price below the cost of production = lots of broke dairy farmers
    Simple as!

I take your point about lots of inefficient farmers but no matter how efficient you are if the price is less than production then it doesn't reLly matter

i was over in wales last week with discussion group, visiting farms, and most lads were getting between 30-32 c(euro)/litre for their milk, went all extras were added on.

rancher wrote: »
    Are you sure it's not 26pence/ ltr
    dar31 wrote: »
    i was over in wales last week with discussion group, visiting farms, and most lads were getting between 30-32 c(euro)/litre for their milk, went all extras were added on.

I was wondering as I heard 15p to 16p a pint on Sky news which is similar to what dar31 puts it at and I wondered why they were protesting, given we get paid less.
    They must be a lot more inefficient than here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭rancher

It's happened before and it will happen again! too much milk, not a big enough market, price below the cost of production = lots of broke dairy farmers
    Simple as!

I take your point about lots of inefficient farmers but no matter how efficient you are if the price is less than production then it doesn't reLly matter

That's the market being allowed to work....high prices will always cure high prices....we've had that scenario in beef and lamb production for years

asda has agreed to increase its milk price to 29.5ppl. to the farmer... what would that be in €?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

asda has agreed to increase its milk price to 29.5ppl.... what would that be in €?

37cent/litre That's the price they are paying the processors right?

Timmaay wrote: »
    37cent/litre That's the price they are paying the processors right?
    update on farmers weekly fb pg... asda are to pay farmers 29.5 ppl? i am assuming that is farmgate price..... 37cpl would be lovely at the minute

What price do ye think, lads will pay the nxt quota exchange? It will have to drop, at least the priority pool is pretty cheap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

I would agree with you up to a point. Once you have quota you are fairly well in at the minute. I remember starting off and people were complaining about getting 82p a gallon. To me it was JACKPOT:D:D because i was not used to getting paid for my milk but they were depressed. For both those agreeing with you and disagreeing with you, your perspective determines whether the price you get is good or not.
    On the inefficient farmers, their 'lack' of progress is their own decision to make. It may suit them to just 'chug' along or there may be financial/family/health situations that determine their ability to 'progress'. Our only ability is to control what is within our power to change and that is mostly within our own gate. Whether my neighbour is putting in a new parlour/jeep/tractor doesnt interest me in the least, he is following his own path.

Only time will tell whether your decisions are right or not, stop worrying about what the other fellow has/hasnt.

When, not if, the a**e drops out of the milk price we will see who is left standing. As the saying goes, its only when the tide goes out do you find out who is swimming naked.*

*currently in a mankini a few sizes too small but hoping to get a proper pair of speedos (proper size) by next year. Frightening image though:D:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

What's the story with flexi milk, I have 50k gallon quota, how much flexi should I get. Looks like I'm gona be full in August :-((
    just out of curiosty have you fed ration to your cows this year because it makes no sence you feeding your cows ration even if you are short of grass.you should only milk the number of cows your farm can feed this year otherwise you could be losing money on that milk even if you get paid under current ration/milk prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

5live wrote: »
    I would agree with you up to a point. Once you have quota you are fairly well in at the minute. I remember starting off and people were complaining about getting 82p a gallon. To me it was JACKPOT:D:D because i was not used to getting paid for my milk but they were depressed. For both those agreeing with you and disagreeing with you, your perspective determines whether the price you get is good or not.
    On the inefficient farmers, their 'lack' of progress is their own decision to make. It may suit them to just 'chug' along or there may be financial/family/health situations that determine their ability to 'progress'. Our only ability is to control what is within our power to change and that is mostly within our own gate. Whether my neighbour is putting in a new parlour/jeep/tractor doesnt interest me in the least, he is following his own path.

Only time will tell whether your decisions are right or not, stop worrying about what the other fellow has/hasnt.

When, not if, the a**e drops out of the milk price we will see who is left standing. As the saying goes, its only when the tide goes out do you find out who is swimming naked.*

*currently in a mankini a few sizes too small but hoping to get a proper pair of speedos (proper size) by next year. Frightening image though:D:p

where can you get mankini's in kerry?

Advertisement