Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Carbon worth it ?

• 05-09-2011 12:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

I got a friend who is availing of the B2W scheme and adding to it to get a decent road bike (he started triathlons and longer spins now).

The downside is the bike must come from CycleSuperstore for the B2W but can anyone help out on what to get ? He's considering carbon but not 100% sure.

The other choice is the Giant TCR 0 which is ultegra all-round but still Aluminium.

Is Carbon worth it ? If so, any recommendations in CycleSuperstore ?

Budget is around €1600 ?
    Thanks

fbp.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 958 ✭✭✭fatboypee

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭cycletheroad

I'd go for an aluminum, as you said, you ll get more value for your money as opposed to a carbon frame and lower grade components.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

The difference between 105 and Ultegra is mostly weight, probably some shifting differences. Nothing that will hold anybody back. The difference between a carbon frame and an alu frame is comfort, maybe some weight again. Granted, a carbon fork will take out a lot of road buzz.

I'd say get the nicest frame you can, parts can be upgraded as desired, since it's all 10 speed. The only issue is when one buys a bike with 9 speed or lower, then everything needs to be changed in one go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I'm in two minds about this. I cleaned of my alu bike the other day as I intend using it as my winter bike. I have been on it only once since April. In a way I am looking forward too getting out on it again. I have two carbon bikes (I have no idea why). One is heavier and a bit more flexi, but suits the roads that I cycle on. One looks gorgeous and is stiff and great to descend/corner on when on a good road surface. On a bad road surface full of tar and chip type roads, it is pretty uncomfortable - there is a lot of feedback. While it fits me better than my other two bikes in terms of geometry, it is less comfortable in terms of vibration through the saddle and the handlebars - that is I feel every lump on the road.

I am not sure I would buy another carbon bike given that most of the roads that I ride on are sh1te.

I think that unless bike weight is a huge factor, then you are best advised getting the best frame & fork that you can afford in terms of fit and overall comfort and then using whats left to add wheels, saddle, groupset, etc in that order.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

Carbon or Aluminium? Steel, please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Carbon is well worth it and I would take lesser components any day for a carbon frame.

Advertisement