Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harvey Norman Timewasters

Options
  • 05-09-2011 12:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Had an experience in Harvey norman in Waterford yesterday, went in looked at an office desk saw one we liked , price was good , so spoke to sales guy and he told me that they had 4 or 5 in stock and they were flat pack so no problem transporting it in a normal car. so far so good.
    went back home 10 miles to take baby seat out of car to make room . went back to same sales guy in store and said we wanted to take one of the desks Went to counter and the first thing this guy wants is not cash or credit card but my home phone no? then he wanted my name, ?explained that it was a cash sale and we were taking item and paying , simple!.
    It then turned out he hadnt the item in stock but that it was in a warehouse but that was closed on sunday and monday.
    He still kept on insisting on our contact details (4 times),
    At that stage we had eneough and walked out , NEVER , NEVER again.
    Whats their method of doing business ? why are they collecting personal data?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

To call you when they'd have it in the shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Fast forward ten months, something happens to the desk but you don't have your receipt - they'll have your contact details though.

All they need to do is type your phone number in and the transaction pops up immediately and voila, proof of purchase!

Did he confirm that the desk was there to take away immediately before you did a wasted round trip?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 dechand

yes he told me that he had 4or 5 in stock, he neglected to say that they were not available to purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭BrerWolf

They're simply trying to get as much info about you as possible, so that they can add it into their sales/marketing database.

Sure, there are incidental possible benefits (proof of purchase via your id), but thats not why they're doing it.

Feck em, and get the desk somewhere else.

BrerWolf wrote: »
    They're simply trying to get as much info about you as possible, so that they can add it into their sales/marketing database.

Sure, there are incidental possible benefits (proof of purchase via your id), but thats not why they're doing it.

I doubt it.

I used to work for a competitor and we did the same thing - any contact information was used only for the purposes of completing the transaction eg. delivery updates, alerting the customer of items arriving into stock and then archived for easy searching in the event a customer didn't keep their receipt.

It most certainly was not used for marketing, in fact I'm pretty sure they must advise you in advance where they intend to add your details into a marketing database and give you the opportunity to refuse.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭SteM

BrerWolf wrote: »

D.I.D. got the same info from me when I bought a load of stuff for a new house a few years ago and I've never received one piece of market rubbish from them. When the hoover broke down I didn't have the receipt but they had all of the details of the purchase in their system which was handy for me. You'd have to sign something for them to be able to use your details for marketing purposes.

Went to a normal shop this morning , got the item i wanted , they were more than happy to carry out business in the way that Irish people are used to, remember I was buying a DESK not a gun or dangerous chemicals, no personal information needed to buy a desk for 200 euro pay for it and take it home.

Keep your receipt safe ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,949 ✭✭✭dixiefly

This thread should be locked as it is not a consumer issue - it is just a rant. The only (possible) valid issue is the failure to inform the customer about the availability of the desk on the day.

Regarding the information, some premises (such as hardware / hire companies) also ask for details. It is one of those minor inconveniences that we face with newer shops and businesses. However, this extra SLIGHT inconvenience is balanced by the fact that the business may be able to assist the customer in proving purchase should the need arise as has been pointed out by several on the thread.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

dechand wrote: »
    yes he told me that he had 4or 5 in stock, he neglected to say that they were not available to purchase.

But he didn't lie, it was in stock.
    You didn't ask could you collect it, instead you assumed it was...not really Harvey Norman's fault

This is a rant not a consumer issue.

• Advertisement

Ok I seem to have hit a nerve with the Harvey fan club or workers coop.
    It was only a comment , if thats the way that standard that people want good luck to you , think id prefer to do business in the normal way , celtic tiger long gone and all the big idiot spenders ,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

It was only a comment , if thats the way that standard that people want good luck to you , think id prefer to do business in the normal way , celtic tiger long gone and all the big idiot spenders ,

No such thing.

You've not annoyed, more confused me as to why, when HN wanted to do something that may assist you in the future, you rant about it?

Would you be ok if you had bought it at HN, subsequently had problems, lost your receipt and they (quite rightly tbh) told you to kindly go away? Or would you be on here ranting about them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Personally I can't stand Harvey Normans but this practice of taking some personal details for receipts has been done since I start working in retail 17 years ago. Paranoia makes people think their details are being passed on for market research but for the most part all the details are used for is record of purchase. You will find this very common in places that sell electronic goods and furniture and anything of bulk.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I've never got an iota of marketing info from Harvey Normans as a result of handing over my phone or address.

I've used that feature in PC World to recover a lost receipt.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

There is no Consumer Issue here

Thread closed

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement