Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

34 weeks pregnant sick leave

Options
  • 05-09-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hey all ,
    Looking for bit of advise , im 34 weeks pregnant , and finding things with work a little tough now , as in commuting 1 hour drive to work and maybe over an hour home depending on traffic , im so tired now the last week , Ive had a pretty good pregnancy so far no complications ( touch wood ) im just finding it hard to get to work every day , work all day and then driving home im soo tired i cant sleep then when i go to bed .. on the verge of collapse at this stage .... im due to go on maternity leave from work in 3 weeks time .. do anyone know that it would be ok for a doctor so sign me on sick leave and then kick into my materenity leave ???? not sure what to do i just know i cant keep up the travelling journey due to tirdness and being uncomfortable .. any advise much appreciated
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭foodaholic

A load of girls in my job did just that, when on sick leave straight in to Mat leave

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭holidaygirl

Should be no problem, lots in my place of work have done this. I have learned from my last pregnancy that mum & baby should come first, I was under pressure the last few weeks in work and ended up with high bp and admitted to hospital the Monday after I finished work. I should have listened to my body and finished up.

From Citizens Information
    Pregnant and on sick leave from work
    If you are on sick leave from work and getting Illness Benefit immediately before you are due to start your maternity leave, you will be paid Maternity Benefit in the normal way if you satisfy the social insurance contributions.

The social insurance contributions for Maternity Benefit and Illness Benefit are not the same. Therefore, if you are in employment but on sick leave and not getting Illness Benefit you may still qualify for Maternity Benefit. However, you must satisfy the social insurance contributions.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

If you're genuinely too unwell to work this is perfectly OK. Talk to your GP about it.

I know I went on sick leave a week before my maternity leave started as I was in so much pain I couldn't concentrate. Was bored stiff at home though!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 emmeim

34 wks myself today and can't wait to finish up! On my last pregnancy I went sick the week before I was due to go on maternity leave, no problem being signed off. I would say though it dragged being at home, so I'm hoping to work up to my maternity leave as much as I can. If you go on leave now you might be 8 weeks at home (if you go 2 wks over!) - i think I'd crack up!

But if you're just not able for it, well speak to your doc and do get signed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cookie2010

Thanks for the replys :) ... im trying to keep positive and hold out other week lol ... just getting harder now have check up now on friday will at least get to friday and see how I am then .. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭MaxCharlie

would you consider approaching your employer and ask for a shorter working week - so that you can try to work until your finish at work date - and approach it on the basis of better to be at work instead of not at all because of being certified off ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭freudiangirl

Personally, I was feeling wrecked from 28 weeks so decided to take my leave at 33 weeks- have 1 weeks holidays due and my maternity leave is starting when I am 34 weeks.

When I say this to other women I work with, they're first comment is " you should have got a sick cert" but I was happy to take 6 weeks(fingers crossed) leave prior to birth just to get a break

• Registered Users Posts: 28 cookie2010

Personally, I was feeling wrecked from 28 weeks so decided to take my leave at 33 weeks- have 1 weeks holidays due and my maternity leave is starting when I am 34 weeks.

When I say this to other women I work with, they're first comment is " you should have got a sick cert" but I was happy to take 6 weeks(fingers crossed) leave prior to birth just to get a break

Yeh thats what i want is to get a break in before babs arrives .. i know i might go over , but then again could come early aswell .... the joys hahah ..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I was the same. The last 5 weeks before maternity leave really took their tole on me. I had siatica and as I was on my feet all day, I started to lean to one side and ended up damaging some discs in my back.

I should have just gotten signed off but I felt I had so much to get done before I handed over to the person covering me.

I hadn't had a sick day in years, so I felt I wouldnt start now.

Now I feel completely different, work will always cope, they always do. You have to do what is right for yourself and you child. If you are in bad health when you child arrives, you wont be able to do everything you'd like to do.

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I was the same. The last 5 weeks before maternity leave really took their tole on me. I had siatica and as I was on my feet all day, I started to lean to one side and ended up damaging some discs in my back.

I should have just gotten signed off but I felt I had so much to get done before I handed over to the person covering me.

I hadn't had a sick day in years, so I felt I wouldnt start now.

Now I feel completely different, work will always cope, they always do. You have to do what is right for yourself and you child. If you are in bad health when you child arrives, you wont be able to do everything you'd like to do.

I agree with point- as in I was not sick so why should I sign off sick?
    I told work that I was planning on finishing up early when putting in my leave notice- I would feel guilty if I was signed off but not sick so am just starting my leave earlier.

I am not entitled to maternity benefit or pay whilst out due to only being in my current company for 4 months so doubt I would be entitled to sick pay for few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭purplecat

Lots of girls in my job went on sick leave straight into maternity leave. they had pregnancy complications, illness, sore backs, swollen feet, couldn't get pair of shoes to fit etc.. I use to listen to them all go on about it, and i covered their jobs for them while they where missing, etc..
    Now I am too in that same boat, but for me its different, I haven't been in work since I got pregnant, I have nothing but sickness, pains, high Blood pressure, unable to sleep, swollen ankles etc. And I am now under pressure to return to work, as i am going to be removed from the pay system.. I trying to find out is sick leave different than pregnancy sickness leave ? or they both the same ? or does it depend on the company you work in? seems all very unfair... sad really, I can sympathize with you in the crying because i am always crying, my commute if i went back would be same, 1 hr to work 1 hr back from work on the calcutta express (Irish Rail) Painful how it is, My boss told me to get a cert from GP to say that I am fit for work, and that I will be fit for all my duties which in my heart I know that I am not. I spoke with my GP is said that I am unfit for work. All i do is worry now, whether I should be in work or not, I know this is so wrong and unhealthy for me and my babies!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭liliq

I am not entitled to maternity benefit or pay whilst out due to only being in my current company for 4 months so doubt I would be entitled to sick pay for few weeks.

I'm not 100%, but check out the maternity benefit thing- if you were paying PRSI last year you could be entitled to it...

Or... if you were earning credits without actually paying PRSI (eg. if you were a full time student last year and started paying PRSI this year) you could also be entitled to it...

I agree with point- as in I was not sick so why should I sign off sick?
    I told work that I was planning on finishing up early when putting in my leave notice- I would feel guilty if I was signed off but not sick so am just starting my leave earlier.

I agree, I hated the thought of being 'signed off sick', not being able to go out for a walk or dinner as I was supposed to be 'sick'.

I was fine for about 4 hrs per day, the rest of the day I was crippled with cramps in my hips. My job was standing upp all day, pulling, dragging etc.

You could be entitled to illness benefit, though it may be means tested if you dont have enough PRSI contributions .

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

I agree, I hated the thought of being 'signed off sick', not being able to go out for a walk or dinner as I was supposed to be 'sick'.

Why wouldn't you be able to go for a walk?

I had a couple of pregnancy sick days near the end of my pregnancy because of my back (sitting at the desk was aggravating it), and I took a good walk each time to loosen out my muscles.

Another option is to ask your employer is there any other work you could do that you are fit for.

I asked for 'light dutys' but that didnt work out, if your in you job and there is no replacement for you, you will end up doing 'your job'.

I asked for reduced hrs, but even working full time we were understaffed so that was never going to work.

I have never really been 'off sick' so I would just feel uncomfortable if I was seen out walking or doing something physical, I know thats just stupid but thats the way I am.

I could function for 2 hrs at the most after that I really needed bed for 1 hr. But My working day was 11 hrs on my feet.

I asked for 'light dutys' but that didnt work out, if your in you job and there is no replacement for you, you will end up doing 'your job'.

I asked for reduced hrs, but even working full time we were understaffed so that was never going to work.

I have never really been 'off sick' so I would just feel uncomfortable if I was seen out walking or doing something physical, I know thats just stupid but thats the way I am.

I could function for 2 hrs at the most after that I really needed bed for 1 hr. But My working day was 11 hrs on my feet.

well my job is a desk job- min 8 hours a day sometimes 12 depending on what is happening!
    I had nobody to take over my job until this week_-the week I was going on leave.I know people think I am taking my leave early at 34 weeks but I'd personally rather take my leave early rather than go on sick leave. Maybe its just me

anyways only 2 hours before I am officially finished!

Congrats on you maternity leave starting!!

I agree, atleast you can hand over to the person replacing you.

I really dont think 34 weeks is too early, we've all worked with women who were referred to in their last month in work as 'bet / in bits / only bearly hanging on / wrecked! Much better off to relax through the worst but.

Congrats on you maternity leave starting!!

I agree, atleast you can hand over to the person replacing you.

I really dont think 34 weeks is too early, we've all worked with women who were referred to in their last month in work as 'bet / in bits / only bearly hanging on / wrecked! Much better off to relax through the worst but.

Thanks
    am looking forward to it ! can't wait to meet our little one though..............
    it will be strange though as myself and my boyfriend work in same company on same team etc... so for last 2 years we have done almost everything together for last while so we will have withdrawal symptoms for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 5 SinMah

I understand completely where everyone is coming from, but don't be a martyr if you are not well enough to continue at work.

My situation is this, I work in a job where I am constantly on my feet, and commute and hour each way to work driving. I went to my consultant at 29 weeks. Low iron, low blood pressure, dizzy spells, swollen ankles, back pain etc, she took the decision that I was not fit to continue at work, for my safety and the safety of other people on the roads. She reminded me that my baby and I were my priority. I did feel guilty about going on sick leave with almost 9 weeks still to work, however for the sake of my baba and I, had no choice. I am now 4 weeks into this 9 week block and yes I am bored at home, but people call, I read a lot, and have been through box sets to beat the band. At least I can have a lie down if I need it, when I do. I can no longer fit behind the steering wheel and cannot reach the pedals if I push the seat back any further.

I have had an intermittently difficult pregnancy where as others I know have sailed through theirs.

The only thing I remember is that everyone is different and copes differently. For the sake of you and your baba, do not feel guilty about taking sick leave, you are not skiving!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sammydavisjr5

purplecat wrote: »
    Lots of girls in my job went on sick leave straight into maternity leave. they had pregnancy complications, illness, sore backs, swollen feet, couldn't get pair of shoes to fit etc.. I use to listen to them all go on about it, and i covered their jobs for them while they where missing, etc..
    Now I am too in that same boat, but for me its different, I haven't been in work since I got pregnant, I have nothing but sickness, pains, high Blood pressure, unable to sleep, swollen ankles etc. And I am now under pressure to return to work, as i am going to be removed from the pay system.. I trying to find out is sick leave different than pregnancy sickness leave ? or they both the same ? or does it depend on the company you work in? seems all very unfair... sad really, I can sympathize with you in the crying because i am always crying, my commute if i went back would be same, 1 hr to work 1 hr back from work on the calcutta express (Irish Rail) Painful how it is, My boss told me to get a cert from GP to say that I am fit for work, and that I will be fit for all my duties which in my heart I know that I am not. I spoke with my GP is said that I am unfit for work. All i do is worry now, whether I should be in work or not, I know this is so wrong and unhealthy for me and my babies!
    You are lucky... I have had your sysmpton and more and have worked straight through.. I have no maturnity leave so any time I take off after the baby is born is "non" paid. I dont see why you say your situation is unfair... seems like your company has been more then fair with you! (I am 34 weeks preg. now)

• Advertisement

I think when you look back you realise that even though you need to work to eat and live, it may be effecting how you are coping through pregnancy. I worked 50 hrs per week up until 5 days before labour last time. I ended up with squashed discs in my back after over doing it while suffering from sciatica.

This time I worked 20 hrs per week and left work at 33 weeks. I feel great, I am up at 9:00 am each day looking after my daughter and I get enough exercise out doors to keep me walking without pain.

In the example above, Purplecat was carrying twins and ended going very early, so it was a totally different pregnancy to me.

If you were paid half your salary rate for sick leave would you take the time off?

My mum and her sisters were all self employed so all worked until the baby came and went straight back. All quoted cost as the reason they didnt take time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

cookie2010 wrote: »
    Hey all ,
    Looking for bit of advise , im 34 weeks pregnant , and finding things with work a little tough now , as in commuting 1 hour drive to work and maybe over an hour home depending on traffic , im so tired now the last week , Ive had a pretty good pregnancy so far no complications ( touch wood ) im just finding it hard to get to work every day , work all day and then driving home im soo tired i cant sleep then when i go to bed .. on the verge of collapse at this stage .... im due to go on maternity leave from work in 3 weeks time .. do anyone know that it would be ok for a doctor so sign me on sick leave and then kick into my materenity leave ???? not sure what to do i just know i cant keep up the travelling journey due to tirdness and being uncomfortable .. any advise much appreciated
    :)

If you feel unable to continue in work, take time off sick. The whole point in there being sick benefit is for people to receive money while sick and unable to work. Do not feel guilty, do not worry about your job while gone as the place will not close down for you being out a few weeks more. You and your baby are too important. Enjoy your rest!!

I was fine for about 4 hrs per day, the rest of the day I was crippled with cramps in my hips. My job was standing upp all day, pulling, dragging etc.

You could be entitled to illness benefit, though it may be means tested if you dont have enough PRSI contributions .

I totally understand your thinking about not being able to go out etc. while out sick but I think it is different in pregnancy. I work in a similar environment, manual work, standing etc and even though people are being nice and letting me have rests etc, I am finding it start to get tough. Just because I can't work doesn't mean I can't live so therefore will go out walking and to eat etc. ;)
    I know girls who had doctors who were TELLING THEM to go out about 30 weeks and they will sign them off. In my case I think Ill have to be in the labour ward before my gp would write a note.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭pippington

I am coming up to 35 weeks pregnant..have had some little bleeds (the show im told by my midwife) some lower back pain and hip pain...did have sciatica for a while but that seems to have miraculously disappeared...I just dont know whether to stop going to work or not...I do 12 hour shifts in a fairly stressful environment, all the other staff in work are lovely apart from the managers who think you should still be able to run around while carrying a stone weight beach ball up your top....its very tiring, im one of these peopl who cant sit still and i never know if im pushing myself too much...im not due any annual leave...dont know what to do for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

pippington wrote: »
    I am coming up to 35 weeks pregnant..have had some little bleeds (the show im told by my midwife) some lower back pain and hip pain...did have sciatica for a while but that seems to have miraculously disappeared...I just dont know whether to stop going to work or not...I do 12 hour shifts in a fairly stressful environment, all the other staff in work are lovely apart from the managers who think you should still be able to run around while carrying a stone weight beach ball up your top....its very tiring, im one of these peopl who cant sit still and i never know if im pushing myself too much...im not due any annual leave...dont know what to do for the best

Because of the show and because your almost 35 weeks I'd discuss getting signed off sick for the last 3 weeks work? You'll never get this time again And if ur in 2 minds and don't and something happened you'd regret it for the rest if your life, that's obviously extremely unlikely but in general resting as much as you can is important at this stage and if ur job is v. Stressful then that makes it difficult. I like you am not one for sitting idle - I'm 35 weeks today and been on reduced hrs at work for last week And a half - I work now 3-4 hrs a day instead of 9, I keep myself extremely busy at home but having the option to rest is great, today is the first day I've managed to do nothing!! I love going into work for a few hrs every day and will prob do that up until week 40 ( self employed) so I don't feel a bit bad about cutting back. I think we will never get this time back and our babies are our priorities! Would it be possible for you to get signed off for 50% ur hrs or something? Or even them all if ur job doesn't lend itself well to that situation - don't feel guilty, having a baby is different for everyone - you have to do what's right for you. Ohh mines got a bad dose the hiccups just now!! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi All
    Im a nurse 17 weeks pregnat and working for HSE
    We have new sick leave arrangements now..... I dont understand them
    Does anyone?
    can I go out sick (maternity related) without using my sick days?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi All
    Im a nurse 17 weeks pregnat and working for HSE
    We have new sick leave arrangements now..... I dont understand them
    Does anyone?
    can I go out sick (maternity related) without using my sick days?

Why don't you contact your union rep in your workplace about leave entitlements before your maternity leave?? It would be worth a try, and then you can go to your manager about this.

Advertisement