Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A 3DTV that doesn't work when the sun is shining

Options
  • 05-09-2011 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭

I bought a TV from an Irish shop which came with some glasses for watching content in 3D.

After a while I began to notice that if the sun was shining that the glasses would flicker on and off.

I did a bit of research a lot of people in England were having the same problem with their Samsung TVs.

In the last few months Samsung changed the technology from infrared to bluetooth. The sunlight was interefering with the infrared signal.

I asked Samsung to repair it (as the first step to repair, replace, refund) but they said that "it was just the way it was" and to "close the curtains".

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    M

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

mathie wrote: »
    I bought a TV from an Irish shop which came with some glasses for watching content in 3D.

After a while I began to notice that if the sun was shining that the glasses would flicker on and off.

I did a bit of research a lot of people in England were having the same problem with their Samsung TVs.

In the last few months Samsung changed the technology from infrared to bluetooth. The sunlight was interefering with the infrared signal.

I asked Samsung to repair it (as the first step to repair, replace, refund) but they said that "it was just the way it was" and to "close the curtains".

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    M
    Samsung are kinda right in fairness, you bought it as it was, and it works within spec, Its not a fault as such, more of a limitation with the technology.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

And youre not going to have many problems in ireland anyway. Still though...strange scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Any thoughts?

Thanks
    M

Why did you go to Samsung and not the company you have the contract with?

Go back to the shop and say that the TV isn't fit for purpose, telling someone to close the curtains is downright arrogant and deserves causing trouble, and get them to sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

telling someone to close the curtains is downright arrogant and deserves causing trouble
    So you're suggesting he goes back to cause trouble for the shop based on something a different company suggested as a workaround for his problem? Get a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

"Have you anything better to be doing besides watching TV when the sun is shining" as my Grandmother use to say. :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

As already stated Samsung's response is spot on, its the limitations of the technology used.....its not a fault and as such does not need a repair, replacement or refund by either Samsung or the shop.

Its basically like using a 802.11b wireless connection and complaining its slow and not as good through walls etc when compared to a 802.11n connection. Its not a fault of the technology its how its designed and its the limitations of the technology.

In short you bought a 3DTV in the early days of 3DTV technology, you took a very big chance in doing so because things change very quickly and because things change quickly things improve quickly. But these changes don't mean the first technology rolled out was faulty.

On a side note, on the bright side (no pun intended) at least the sun shining won't be an issue for the next few months due to the darker winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Cabaal wrote: »
    ts basically like using a 802.11b wireless connection and complaining its slow and not as good through walls etc when compared to a 802.11n connection. Its not a fault of the technology its how its designed and its the limitations of the technology.

I don't think the analogy applies.

I bought a 3DTV.
    I'd expect to be able to watch 3D content on it regardless of what the weather is doing outside of my house.

I'm not saying my TV (which uses infrared) doesn't work as well as one with bluetooth (the newer technology) when the sun shines.
    It just doesn't work at all.

To give another analogy if I said my Peugeot 206 isn't as fast as a Porsche then I'd be in the wrong. I knew going in the full spec of my car.
    I was never told that if the sun shines you're 3D won't work.
    Or if the sun shines your brakes will fail.

@Del2005 I was told by the company I bought from that they'd get Samsung to call me which they did.

I will return to the shop to see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I don't think the analogy applies.

I bought a 3DTV.
    I'd expect to be able to watch 3D content on it regardless of what the weather is doing outside of my house.

I'm not saying my TV (which uses infrared) doesn't work as well as one with bluetooth (the newer technology) when the sun shines.
    It just doesn't work at all.

To give another analogy if I said my Peugeot 206 isn't as fast as a Porsche then I'd be in the wrong. I knew going in the full spec of my car.
    I was never told that if the sun shines you're 3D won't work.
    Or if the sun shines your brakes will fail.

@Del2005 I was told by the company I bought from that they'd get Samsung to call me which they did.

I will return to the shop to see what they say.
    Up to you, but Samsung have already told you its not a fault, I'm sure the shop will do the same. Also your analogy is even less relevant, The best comparison would be to say having a projector not being very legible in sunlight, its not a fault, just a limitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭tfitzgerald

Sounds to me like he should have being informed in the shop that the tv needs a dark room to work in. He should go back to the shop. I thought that sanding were leaders in 3d seems I was wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,999 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So you're suggesting he goes back to cause trouble for the shop based on something a different company suggested as a workaround for his problem? Get a grip.

No I suggested the OP deals with the company they have the contract with. And by trouble I meant hound the shop for a resolution who by law are supposed to rectify the issue for the OP, as they will have to contact the Irish distributor who will get onto Samsung. If shops are getting lots of customers complaints about a product and feed it back to the manufacture then it may change the manufactures opinion about offering a resolution better then tough titties

The OP then clarified that they had already done that and was send to Samsung, which in my original post I didn't know but now raises the level of arrogance to an even higher level. And so the OP should now go back to the shop and state the TV isn't fit for purpose.
    Cabaal wrote: »
    As already stated Samsung's response is spot on, its the limitations of the technology used.....its not a fault and as such does not need a repair, replacement or refund by either Samsung or the shop.

If I buy a projector I expect I'd need to close my curtains to watch it, if I buy a TV I don't and I don't think that anyone else would.

The TV has a design flaw, which Samsung have admited by using different technology in later sets. A TV is bought to be watched in a room, there is no expectation that I'd need to close my curtains to watch TV or change channels, remotes work by IR! The problem the OP has is that because it's a design flaw there is very little chance of getting any satisfaction from the retailer or Samsung.

OP I think you are going to have to get to writing letters to the retailer saying the TV isn't fit for purpose, giving the Samsung response and then fact that they have changed the technology in latter sets. Give them a 10 days to rely and then try the SCC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Two points:

1. Was the OP told that this problem would occur when purchasing the TV?

2. Does it mention this anywhere in the manual?

If the answers are no then I would think he has a strong case.

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Two points:

1. No

2. I will have to check the manual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Put it on the other wall in your room.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

The OP cannot use the TV for the purpose for which it was intended. Simple.

You people get off your bloody high-horses saying Samsung are in the right, and its a limitation in the tech.

Sure, its a limitation with the tech, such a limitation that they removed it from future models, practically admitting to the fault.

A TV / 3D glasses package that does not work because the sun is shining is ludicrous for crying out loud.

Its not like he's stating he can't see it because of glare on the screen - the damn 3D glasses won't work.

OP would be FULLY entitled to a replacement with a model that does not have this fault.

How it got passed QA is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

How it got passed QA is beyond me.

What ? IR technology?

Sure, its a limitation with the tech, such a limitation that they removed it from future models, practically admitting to the fault.

So is every new model of anything an admission of a fault and should result in the customer getting a free swap?

Why would you want to watch tv in direct sunlight anyway?

Freddie59 wrote: »
    Two points:

The only mention I can see is here ...

"You may notice a small amount of screen flickering xxwhen watching 3D images in poor light conditions (from a strobe light, etc.), or under a fluorescent lamp (50Hz ~ 60Hz) or 3 wavelength lamp. If so, dim the light or turn the lamp off.
    3D mode is automatically disabled"

It doesn't say anything about sunlight though.

http://www.superfi.co.uk/extras/Samsung/Samsung-LE40C750-manual.pdf

Samsungs response ...
    Thank you for contacting Samsung and I have pleasure in providing the
    following assistance.

"There are two ways that the glasses may flicker in certain room lighting conditions:

1.Three wave fluorescent, halogen lamp or incandescent lamps/bulbs are used for room lighting.

2. The room lighting uses a magnetic ballast (running at 50Hz) to illuminate the room.
    - In both cases of the above, certain makes of lighting can cause interference as the wavelength of light
    is close to the IR (infrared)
    frequency used of the active shutter glasses."

I would say that the sun is causing these glasses to flicker on and off due to the light of the sun.

Please try the below to see if this improves.

Close blinds when viewing 3D TV

Turn off the lights when watching 3DTV.

Move TV to another location to avoid flicker.

If you require any further assistance, please contact Samsung again and
    we will be more than happy to help.

Kind regards

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I couldn't watch tv in my room when the sun was shining either. It made an awful glare on the screen and hence unwatchable. Can I return it for a full refund? Silly me made the mistake of moving it to a different part of the room and as such no sunlight reaches it.

Also my old clothes get wet if I wear them outside in the rain, I was not told they would become wet at my point of purchase nor does it state it on receipt or any of the clothing labels. I surely have a strong case here for full reimbursement.

/meh

Put it on the other wall in your room.

Near the window is the only place I've free (due to built in shelving and fireplace)

But again it's a workaround. I should be able to watch the TV anywhere in my sitting room.

• Advertisement

What ? IR technology?

So is every new model of anything an admission of a fault and should result in the customer getting a free swap?

Have you never watched TV while the sun was shiing outside?

Have you never watched TV while the sun was shiing outside?

Not with it shineing in on the tv no, I usually close the curtains if it is. Thats what curtains do.

Yawns wrote: »
    I couldn't watch tv in my room when the sun was shining either. It made an awful glare on the screen and hence unwatchable. Can I return it for a full refund? Silly me made the mistake of moving it to a different part of the room and as such no sunlight reaches it.

Also my old clothes get wet if I wear them outside in the rain, I was not told they would become wet at my point of purchase nor does it state it on receipt or any of the clothing labels. I surely have a strong case here for full reimbursement.

/meh

I can watch 2D on the TV when the sun is shining. It works fine.
    When I try to watch TV the glasses flicker on and off and it doesn't work.

Your analogies are way off.

I fully understand that if I wear clothes in the rain they will get wet.

Do you expect a TV not to work if the weathers nice?
    Weather should have no bearing on a TV functioning or not.

What ? IR technology?

Typical muppetry "I think I'm smart [but I'm not]" response.

Ever have a problem with your remote when the sun shines??
    I haven't. IR tech right there.

To specifically change the transmission tech for the glasses is an admission that it didn't work as intended.

Who said anything about direct sunlight?

Not with it shineing in on the tv no, I usually close the curtains if it is. Thats what curtains do.

My TV is beside the window.
    The sun doesn't shine on it (where are A-Ha when you need them?)

Hence no glare on the screen and I can watch 2D fine.

The reason I can't watch 3D is not because of glare.
    IT's because the light interferes with the £D signal from the TV and causes them to switch on and off.

My TV is beside the window.
    The sun doesn't shine on it (where are A-Ha when you need them?)

Hence no glare on the screen and I can watch 2D fine.

The reason I can't watch 3D is not because of glare.
    IT's because the light interferes with the £D signal from the TV and causes them to switch on and off.

I never said the sun did shine on your tv. But the cause and solution are the same.

Typical muppetry "I think I'm smart [but I'm not]" response.

Ever have a problem with your remote when the sun shines??
    I haven't. IR tech right there.

To specifically change the transmission tech for the glasses is an admission that it didn't work as intended.

Who said anything about direct sunlight?

Your remote is not transmitting a permenant feed.

Since your throwing around insults, maybe try a set of IR headphones when watching tv in the same light first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

I would bring it back. As far as you are concerned 3d only works intermittently.
    Is there anything in the manual that explains the conditions under which it works?

I have had tvs changed for a remote that only worked sometimes and another that had a loud buzzing noise on certain inputs.
    It doesn't have to be completely fecked to be not fit for purpose

Your remote is not transmitting a permenant feed.

Does it work or not? Of course it does. IR suits that type of transmission.

I never said the sun did shine on your tv. But the cause and solution are the same.

So what exactly did you mean by 'direct' sunlight? Indirect?
    Since your throwing around insults, maybe try a set of IR headphones when watching tv in the same light first.

Bravo!!!! Lets all get IR headphones to see if our 3D TV glasses will work!!!

Are you actually serious? Or are you just on a troll-fest?

• Advertisement

Does it work or not??

Your the authority on the technology (I'm assumign here seeing as you are able to dismiss other peoples posts out of hand that you can back it up?)

The glasses will work too if its just a quick one shot signal being sent every now and then. But it appears now that a solid IR signal will be interrupted by sunlight.

Wiki wrote:
    Direct sunlight has a luminous efficacy of about 93 lumens per watt of radiant flux, which includes infrared, visible, and ultraviolet light. Bright sunlight provides illuminance of approximately 100,000 lux or lumens per square meter at the Earth's surface

If your transmitting an IR signal, and another IR signal crosses it, its obviously going to cause issues.

Bravo!!!! Lets all get IR headphones to see if our 3D TV glasses will work!!!

Are you actually serious? Or are you just on a troll-fest?

Whats the difference between the IR signal from headphones and the one operating the 3d glasses?

So comparing the IR signal in a remote, which only transmitts for a second and generally has infrequent use is a better judge of the signal than omparing it with headphones that transmit a permenant feed when on? I'm not seeing your logic. Or does it not strecth beyond "I'm using the remote comparison because it suits my arguement?

Advertisement