Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overtime pay

Options
  • 05-09-2011 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, I am feeling that my employer is pulling me big time with overtime pay.
    I work Monday to Friday from 6am to 3pm with direct contract to employer in call center industry.

This is what I get from them after they halved my overtime pay.

Dear employee

Re: Time and Labor

Currently you are working 8 hours per day but as your working day commences @ 6 am or 630am depending on your rota hours, you are entitled to claim time and half for any time completed before 7am.

In order to ensure that you are compensated at the right rate, we would ask you to log hours in time and labor as follows:

For 0600hrs rota – employees should log time for Overtime @1Standard for 30 minutes
    For 0630hrs rota – employees should log time for Overtime @1Standard for 15 minutes

As the Time and Labor tool is already working on the basis that an 8 hour day is not subject to over time and your first hour of work is already paid for as part of your working day, this will ensure you will continue to be paid @ time and half for the first Hour or part of hour worked.

Does this sound correct and if not, who I should contact, union or?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Sounds correct to me.

You get overtime @ time and a half for time worked before 7am.

They've set up their payroll system so that it ignores the actual time of day worked by the employee and instead they log down "8 hours worked" and none of those hours are paid at overtime rates.

So in order to claim your overtime, you need to put in for extra.

So where you've worked 6am to 7am, you are already being paid for one hour, and you need to put in for 30 mins @ standard time in order to claim the rest of your overtime for that hour.

Of course, if they had their time recording/payroll system configured correctly, then it would automatically calculate your overtime, but I imagine they have just made it simpler for themselves to get you to request your own overtime. Plus there's the chance that some employees will forget to put it in.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 dublincity81

thanks, what I thought as well, but was unsure.

Advertisement