Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contracts for rent-a-room

Options
  • 05-09-2011 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi All,

For the past few years, I've rented out the spare rooms in my house to lodgers under the rent-a-room scheme. Everythings been fine - I haven't registered with the PRTB but I have declared the income on the rent-a-room scheme.

It's always been a fairly casual, verbal agreements with the lodgers. They give the deposit, we agree on rent, share bills, agree to a months notice etc. They've paid cash to me and I've lodged it into the bank (to keep track).

However, due to recent events, I've decided to get a bit more "official". I would like to sign an agreement with the lodgers, and tie them to a 6-month term. Is this possible with the rent-a-room scheme?

Also, I don't think the PRTB or Tenancy Act apply to this situation, so I would probably need a "private contract" that doesn't mention them. Would anyone know somewhere on the web I could get a sample contract?

Thanks for the help.

PS. If anyone has anymore advice on things I could do better, then it would be appreciated! For example, someone told me to get a photocopy of their passport, but this seems a bit extreme!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,365 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The general advice seems to be to avoid an overly formal contract and to merely have the main headings in writing with a set of rules.

You shouldn't / can't really get people to agree a 6-month contract for rent-a-room. If things don't work out, you are stuck with each other.

Advertisement