Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wobbly wheel on an Ifor Williams

• 05-09-2011 1:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭

Any one ever fix a wobbly wheel on a cattle trailer. I bougth the 10'x6' Ifor willaims for cheap money, a few years back. The plan then was to only use it on a tractor but then I got a jeep. It had a split chasis when I got it and I wleded that up. It's fine in every other way.
    I've an idea how to do it. I have to straighten up the axle. The wheel is running square on the hub, as far as i know. The other 3 wheels are perfect.
    Any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

pakalasa wrote: »
    Any one ever fix a wobbly wheel on a cattle trailer. I bougth the 10'x6' Ifor willaims for cheap money, a few years back. The plan then was to only use it on a tractor but then I got a jeep. It had a split chasis when I got it and I wleded that up. It's fine in every other way.
    I've an idea how to do it. I have to straighten up the axle. The wheel is running square on the hub, as far as i know. The other 3 wheels are perfect.
    Any ideas?
    could you just pick up an axle for it from breakers etc, we had an old bateson trailer, didnt realise when we bought it but it must have been in crash, one wheel slightly off and used to wear the tyre uneven, i think the old man had the axle straghtened at the time. I suppose when she has a full load a wobbly tyre like that wouldnt be good

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Any good blacksmiths near you OP? They might be able to help you out.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

pakalasa wrote: »
    Any ideas?
    A split chassis :eek: That would tell me to build a complete new chassis for the trailer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

No, the angle iron on one side split. I imagine at the same time that the axle got bent. There isnt really a chasis It's more of a welded angle-iron frame. All cattle trailers are like this, not just Ifor Williams. The weld if anything, is stronger than the original. I made sure of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭9935452

Is the wheel wobbly in the sense moving continously as in the wheel bearing is gone,
    Or axel/hub is bent. If it is bent , bring it to the local engineering firm/blacksmith . they should be able to straighten it out by applying localised heat / pressure.
    Alternatively give David Matthews in SMS trailers in kilkenny a shout. He should be able to help you out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 258 ✭✭charityboy

9935452 wrote: »
    Is the wheel wobbly in the sense moving continously as in the wheel bearing is gone,
    Or axel/hub is bent. If it is bent , bring it to the local engineering firm/blacksmith . they should be able to straighten it out by applying localised heat / pressure.
    Alternatively give David Matthews in SMS trailers in kilkenny a shout. He should be able to help you out
    ya with a very large bill:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

Buy a new one at the ploughing pakalasa, you deserve it:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭9935452

charityboy wrote: »
    ya with a very large bill:mad::mad::mad:

What i meant was, he always seems to have a few rolled/crashed trailers about and may split them for parts.
    Any how the axel is only really a length of heavy pipe with hubs bolted onto each end. Which should be got at handy money

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭The Big Fella

Buy a new trail pakalasa at the ploughing, you good get a right good deal.;)

Advertisement