Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gadget Insurance

• 05-09-2011 1:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭

Just insured my iPhone and iPad for the year for €79 with this crowd! www.gadgetinsurance.ie
    €77 cheaper than o2 insurance and the iPad's covered as well!

*I have no connection with this company- just recommending a bargain

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

Just looked at these the other day and decided the level of cover was ****e after doing a search on boards.

They don't cover most of the things that happen to these devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,821 ✭✭✭phill106

doesn't cover water damage, which is one of the main accident that happens to gadgets!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 624 ✭✭✭jimogr

Also, loss is not covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

permanent tsb have a thing called he plus package
    but i think you need to have a current account with them

it includes

travel insurance
    mobile phone cover (up to 2)
    gadget cover (up to 2)
    airport lounge access
    pc support
    extended warranty

all for €10 a month

https://www.permanenttsb.ie/whatweoffer/currentaccounts/pluspackages/index.html

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 543 Mod ✭✭✭✭TheKBizzle

The Tsb offer should be its own bargain alert.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 495 ✭✭m4rkiz

23 pages of t&c... i think i'll pass ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

looks like travel insurance is an add on to the tsb offering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭dunworth1

m4rkiz wrote: »
    23 pages of t&c... i think i'll pass ;)

you do realise that they are offering more then one service thats the reason for the long t&c

and besides 15 pages are for the travel insurance everything else is only 2 or 3 pages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

efb wrote: »
    Just insured my iPhone and iPad for the year for €79 with this crowd! www.gadgetinsurance.ie
    €77 cheaper than o2 insurance and the iPad's covered as well!

*I have no connection with this company- just recommending a bargain

Don't normally quote the OP but the thread seems to have drifted off to discussing some other policy.

Have you read the Ts & Cs in their policy document?

Lose the gadget in a taxi: No cover

Lose the gadget in a pub/restaurant/night club (including theft): No cover

Lose the gadget anywhere (simple loss): No Cover

Damage caused by water/dampness: No cover

The only circumstances I can envisage where you are covered is where you drop the device on the ground and smash it, otherwise you are pretty much covered for nothing. They won't even cover you if you're hit by lightning!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Axe Rake

coylemj wrote: »
    Don't normally quote the OP but the thread seems to have drifted off to discussing some other policy.

Lose the gadget in a taxi: No cover

Lose the gadget in a pub/restaurant/night club (including theft): No cover

The only circumstances I can envisage where you are covered is where you drop the device on the ground and smash it, otherwise you are pretty much covered for nothing. They won't even cover you if you're hit by lightning!

Sounds like the most useless cover ever :o

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Lose the gadget in a taxi: No cover - incorrect (unless you leave it on the seat)

Lose the gadget in a pub/restaurant/night club (including theft): No cover - incorrect (unless you leave it on the seat/table)

I called them and advised theft from your person (pick pocketed) is covered

Axe Rake wrote: »
    Sounds like the most useless cover ever :o

3.2 Theft, Theft damage or Malicious damage of an unattended covered product(s):
    (a) From or in a motor vehicle unless locked in a glove
    box or out of sight in a boot/luggage area;
    (b) From or in any other property, place or premises unless the Theft, Theft damage or Malicious damage is accompanied by forcible entry or exit, or where the Theft, Theft damage or Malicious damage results from the acts of a person who has entered the property, place or premises unlawfully;
    or
    (c) From any public place or place to which the public
    has access at the time of the incident.

It must be unattended to be excluded. in a safe deposit box or your pocket is covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,498 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I called them and advised theft from your person (pick pocketed) is covered

For every iPhone that's stolen by a dipper, 99 are lost or stolen while the user is in a public place i.e. they leave the item on a table in a restaurant, in the handbag on a seat or on the counter in a pub or it falls out of their pocket in a taxi.

That insurance company has succeeded in excluding 99% of possible loss situations. Throw in the exclusion for water damage and you've eliminated 75% of claims for accidental damage.

For every iPhone that's stolen by a dipper, 99 are lost or stolen while the user is in a public place i.e. they leave the item on a table in a restaurant, in the handbag on a seat or on the counter in a pub or it falls out of their pocket in a taxi.

That insurance company has succeeded in excluding 99% of possible loss situations. Throw in the exclusion for water damage and you've eliminated 75% of claims for accidental damage.

It will never 'fall' out of my pocket, in a taxi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭6ix

Never say never. If you're wearing a suit with big wide open pockets or something it could easily happen. Actually it did happen to me with a brand new phone about 5 years ago, luckily the next person in the taxi was honest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

the OP's cover seems absolutely terrible...

what about the TSB offer? anyone know if their T&C's are any better?

6ix wrote: »
    Never say never. If you're wearing a suit with big wide open pockets or something it could easily happen. Actually it did happen to me with a brand new phone about 5 years ago, luckily the next person in the taxi was honest!

Nevermind

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

BArra wrote: »
    the OP's cover seems absolutely terrible...

what about the TSB offer? anyone know if their T&C's are any better?

I read through them there, seems very reasonable. Water damage, loss and theft are all covered, also gives cover for up to €2000 of unauthorised calls! Didn't read the holiday cover though.

Looks like I'm going to cancel my Lifeline insurance......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

dunworth1 wrote: »
    permanent tsb have a thing called he plus package
    but i think you need to have a current account with them

it includes

travel insurance
    mobile phone cover (up to 2)
    gadget cover (up to 2)
    airport lounge access
    pc support
    extended warranty

all for €10 a month

https://www.permanenttsb.ie/whatweoffer/currentaccounts/pluspackages/index.html

Nice one - I just signed up. They will cover both my iPhone and the missuses iPhones on one policy. That alone saves us €8 per month.

Also laptop cover (only up to €600 unfortunately) and the airport lounge will be handy as I'm off on my holidays soon! Bargain!

Oh - it doesn't include travel insurance - you need to add that separately (I assume it's discounted though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 mobil

Perhap's I'm wrong but my understanding of the travel insurance is that it is included as part of the policy for people up to the age of 69. Once you reach 70 you have to apply for a seperate quotation

• Advertisement

mobil wrote: »
    Perhap's I'm wrong but my understanding of the travel insurance is that it is included as part of the policy for people up to the age of 69. Once you reach 70 you have to apply for a seperate quotation

You could well be correct. It's a bit ambiguously worded. I'll report back when my pack arrives.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭alzer81

What would happen if say u had an iPhone and the home button wasn't working properly. Could you get the gadget insurance then accidentally drop and break the phone, smash the screen etc and get it replaced with a brand new phone? Metaphorically speaking if course....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,844 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

alzer81 wrote: »
    What would happen if say u had an iPhone and the home button wasn't working properly. Could you get the gadget insurance then accidentally drop and break the phone, smash the screen etc and get it replaced with a brand new phone? Metaphorically speaking if course....

You could, but it's technically insurance fraud.

mobil wrote: »

I forgot to reply to this. Travel insurance is included for people under 70. It's a pretty impressive policy all things considered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭extra-ordinary_

Yes...If I had an Iphone and had this insurance I just know I would lose it due to being pick pocketed.,,;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 450 ✭✭beanian

most home contents cover covers gadgets and alot more.
    Costs about 150 quid and all the contents in your home are covered(tv's sounds systems, tablets, phones, engagement rings etc) and that includes accidental damage

this "gadget insurance" stuff is absolute nonsense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 465 ✭✭nulabert

There's Gadget Insurance:eek:

I think that's a money racket!!

• Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭nightster1

stimpson wrote: »
    Nice one - I just signed up. They will cover both my iPhone and the missuses iPhones on one policy. That alone saves us €8 per month.

Also laptop cover (only up to €600 unfortunately) and the airport lounge will be handy as I'm off on my holidays soon! Bargain!

Oh - it doesn't include travel insurance - you need to add that separately (I assume it's discounted though)

you say the policy doesn't include travel insurance:confused:

nightster1 wrote: »
    you say the policy doesn't include travel insurance:confused:

It's included if you're under 70. The wording on the website was ambiguous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Up2NoGood

If PC World/Curry's sell the product you want to insure, even if you did not buy it there they provide their cover plan. That includes 1st year theft and water damage etc.. my misses took it out on the daughters netbook she got in Argos ( for €30 cheaper ).

Advertisement