Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

removing metal plasterboad anchors from wall cleanly?

Options
  • 05-09-2011 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi

Need to remove some metal anchors from plasterboard as cleanly as possible?
    See here the type of anchors I'm talking about
    http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/plasterboard-anchors/cat840114

I've already removed one by hammering into the wall, but it's left a larger hole than I expected and since there is a large gap behind the wall, the old pollyfiller trick is just oozing through the hole and falling down the inside!!

I know I could leave the anchors in place and paint over them, but was looking to completely remove them.

Anybody got any tips or trick on how to best to resolve?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭cgarrad

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭pan

Thanks Cgarrad,

But anybody know of a tool/tip to remove these cleanly from the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Grind them flat?

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I use those things for everything, they're brilliant - untill you want to remove one!
    What i do, is scrape away the surface of the plasterboard a couple of millimeters under the metal face of the fixing with a small screwdriver or chisell and then use the crimping tool you use to set them in the first place and squeeze it as tight as possible so it pulls the head in a mill or two under the level of the face of the plasterboard, then fill in the hollow with polly filler. Turns out ok, but it's still a pain in the arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

That's interesting, I never knew there was such a tool. I thought the whole point of these things was that when you started tightening the screw up, that that crimped them automatically? What advantage does using the tool give?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Yea theres a tool, kinda like a pop riveter. It pulls the machine screw back and crimps the fixing tightly to the plasterboard. I suppose the main advantages are speed and ensuring the fixing is good and tight in the plasterboard. The only reason i have one is that i snared it in work!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,455 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Yeah, I saw one on the Screwfix site for £39.99, a bit too much for the average DIY'er for something you'd only use occasionally.

thanks sbsquarepants, that a great tip!

I use to have one of them crimp tool and found them great, but I recently destroyed it!! Don't ask...will have to pick up another to do this job.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Yea theres a tool, kinda like a pop riveter. It pulls the machine screw back and crimps the fixing tightly to the plasterboard. I suppose the main advantages are speed and ensuring the fixing is good and tight in the plasterboard. The only reason i have one is that i snared it in work!:)

Any links to where you can buy 1 of these??

Thanks.:)

paddy147 wrote: »
    Any links to where you can buy 1 of these??

Thanks.:)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-setting-tool/92462#
    The one I used I think I found in Woodies.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

pan wrote: »
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/rawlplug-setting-tool/92462#
    The one I used I think I found in Woodies.

Ah yeah,Ive seen those in many builders providers and DIY stores.

Just didnt realize what they were used for.

thanks.:)

Advertisement