Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Slim Cooling Fan

Options
  • 05-09-2011 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭

Lads/Lassies, I'm browsing ebay/Amazon for cooling fans for my slim Xbox as it gets really hot. I have it standing beside my TV but even though it has room to breathe, it still gets very very hot.

Has anybody bought a cooling fan for their Xbox and if so, could you recommend me one? There's a good few on ebay but I'm not sure which one would be the best to get.

Willing to spend €20 - €25 for one.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭bennyc

How hot is "really hot" does it reboot or shut down if under pressure. Are the fans making sh1t loads of noise all the time? If so then I would reckon you have a case to send it for repair. I just had my power supply replaced as it was getting noisy. I would have no hesitation in sending it back if the console started baking itself. The way i see it no harm having it serviced under warranty once a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

bennyc wrote: »
    How hot is "really hot" does it reboot or shut down if under pressure. Are the fans making sh1t loads of noise all the time? If so then I would reckon you have a case to send it for repair. I just had my power supply replaced as it was getting noisy. I would have no hesitation in sending it back if the console started baking itself. The way i see it no harm having it serviced under warranty once a year.

Nothing is making noise at all but I went to open the disc tray and the side of the console was roasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

The slims get quite hot around the fan grates and if you don't install the game, over the optical drive. As long as the console has breathing room and hasn't froze or shut down I think you're ok. I'd recommend installing games you play often as since the DVD drive gets to go to sleep it's not generating any heat and could lower the overall temperature. Have not looked into external cooling fans myself so I can't help you there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

DO NOT GET THOSE PLUG IN COOLING FANS

They are a waste of money, and they do more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Prezatch

Meesared wrote: »

More harm than good?? That's a bit dramatic isn't it.

I remember I had one of those cheap laptop cooling pads you see on ebay for an old laptop of mine that got ferociously hot during the COD2 days. The pad had 2 fans and was usb powered just like the one below and it prevented the laptop from crashing during intense online and LAN sessions. But this worked because the base of the laptop heated, not sure if the base of the xbox gets too hot, I know the fan grates at the top get pretty warm.

(http://cgi.ebay.ie/USB-3-FAN-LAPTOP-COOLING-COOLER-PAD-NOTEBOOK-PC-XBOX-/130573729930?pt=UK_Computing_LaptopAccess_RL&hash=item1e66cd008a)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭Meesared

I know of several people who used a cooling fan on the original xbox, they actually scorched the power supply port

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭DjFlin

Search eBay for "USB Fan" and you'll find a number of cheap ones that will work with your laptop too. I got something like this for my laptop a while back and it works great, I stick it in the Xbox when its on a lot.

A little info can go a long way too. When an Xbox Slim is standing upright, a fan blows the hot air out the top of the console, when its on its side, a fan blows the hot air out of the large vent on the side. You should try to keep your 360 on its side, that fan is much stronger than the one that blows air out the top.

JoeyD wrote: »
    More harm than good?? That's a bit dramatic isn't it.

Nope, they can actually do quite a bit of harm. They take power from the 360s supply, so the 360 doesnt run with enough power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Meesared wrote: »

Have to agree here they are a complete gimmick it's like buying a separate steering wheel for your car

Advertisement