Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling forum Raid Pyrénéen trip 2012

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Dying here now, only did a slow 120km yesterday and my legs feel like death. I'll be trying harder from now on.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

this time in 2 months we should be on our way....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

Planet X wrote: »
    Wednesday. 5pm. Dundrum. Glencree/Glencullen and back. Captain Havik & myself in.
    Anyone?

hm might not make it, stuck to work with a big issue, so I am not sure. If i am not there at 5 go without me.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Wednesday. 5pm. Dundrum. Glencree/Glencullen and back. Captain Havik & myself in.
    Anyone?

hm might not make it, stuck to work with a big issue, so I am not sure. If i am not there at 5 go without me.

No probs.
    Capn., you still cycling this evening?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

No probs.
    Capn., you still cycling this evening?

I'm leaving KK in the next few minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I'm leaving KK in the next few minutes.
    Which direction are you going? Any chance for a spin later together ;) ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

Anyone fancy a spin this Saturday before the Mick Byrne.
    Nothing too crazy, 3 to 4 hours max.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

ROK ON wrote: »
    Anyone fancy a spin this Saturday before the Mick Byrne.
    Nothing too crazy, 3 to 4 hours max.

maybe myself, althou if im over this bit illness i have i might want a good pace on saturday.

good look with the 200

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Going out Thursday 1pm. for a few hours also?

Did the same spin as last night with Astra & Capn', almost. Started from Leeson St.....Burrow Rd. Devils E. G'Cree G'Cullen Burrow and back.
    Very warm alright.

@Rok On Wouldn't be going out on Sat. I think it'd be too much with the Sunday spin on top. Then again, that's what we're after.

Myself, I'm going to treat myself and drive to work tomorrow and a good chance of having pizza for lunch! :)

Saw MB arrow road markers on the way up to G'Cree.

i cant wait for sunday. wont make saturday ROK ON. have family stuff to do.

• Advertisement

150 k done over the past three nights. One thing I am noticing is that even though I am c long briskly but at tempo pace I am going thru a lot of water. God help me when I am climbing at threshold and the temp is 15degrees warmer.

Hoping for 100k on Sat and 160 version of MB on Sunday. Even though the 160 version starts an hour later than the 200, I will probably leave with ye early and then just split off when the route diverges (if I manage to keep up for that long).

150 k done over the past three nights. One thing I am noticing is that even though I am c long briskly but at tempo pace I am going thru a lot of water. God help me when I am climbing at threshold and the temp is 15degrees warmer.

Hoping for 100k on Sat and 160 version of MB on Sunday. Even though the 160 version starts an hour later than the 200, I will probably leave with ye early and then just split off when the route diverges (if I manage to keep up for that long).

i had take wednesday off bar a commute, chest and throat at me so just nice social spin today 180km for week so far, hope get out tommorow maybe throw in some climbing.

Coped ok in heat on flat, but once i climb i do tend heat up, only postive is the brezze is often westerly in pyrennes so should be behind us.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I'm thinking of doing the same. Do you want to arrange to meet up?

Sure thing. Not sure where you are based. I am in D15, so would suit me to do 4hours from Phoenix Park start location on Sat.

Sunday, I will drive out to Dalkey. Welcome to a lift, I have a rack for the bikes.

Sure thing. Not sure where you are based. I am in D15, so would suit me to do 4hours from Phoenix Park start location on Sat.

Sunday, I will drive out to Dalkey. Welcome to a lift, I have a rack for the bikes.
    I'm thinking of doing our club spin on Saturday, usually organised at the last minute.
    But a lift on Sunday would be great. I'm in Lucan but can meet you wherever suits.

i think it will be good for us all to start together, it will give us a chance to convince yis that the 200 is actually a good idea. :)

Bottom bracket has just disintegrated on the race bike so I'll be on the "commuter" for the weekend. I think I'll take the mudguards and panniers off though.

As a result, I don't know what my spin options are tomorrow, as I'll have to prep the bike for Sunday. If a lift is still available, can you pm me your number and I'll give you a shout to organise.

hows everyone going with the training anyway?

Good luck with the 200km on sunday lads.

manafana wrote: »
    hows everyone going with the training anyway?
    starting "tomorrow" :rolleyes:

nah, for me anyway I'm mostly concerned about the back to back days rather than the hills, so I'm continuing to train by racing for the moment anyway, combined with commuting and the usual longer spin at the weekend if not racing.

I'm starting to think about switching out some races for longer spins, but I want to get used to getting back on the bike the day after I do a lot of effort. As it stands, I'm doing quite well in that regard, but will see how Sunday goes.

Idleater wrote: »
    starting "tomorrow" :rolleyes:

nah, for me anyway I'm mostly concerned about the back to back days rather than the hills, so I'm continuing to train by racing for the moment anyway, combined with commuting and the usual longer spin at the weekend if not racing.

I'm starting to think about switching out some races for longer spins, but I want to get used to getting back on the bike the day after I do a lot of effort. As it stands, I'm doing quite well in that regard, but will see how Sunday goes.

yeah discussed this with ROK On a bit, racing probably isnt the best prep for the trip, althou no harm mixing it up in their, building the abilty for back to back days is key, currently im logging 300-350km weeks with back to back 5-6days, im hoping to do a 150km monday, and then soon do a 200km day myself in wicklow.
    I'll be going alot slower in france anyway i wont be in a rush.

• Advertisement

currently im logging 300-350km weeks with back to back 5-6days...
    :
    :
    ...I'll be going alot slower in france anyway i wont be in a rush.
    I was just looking at your blog there and comparing strava notes. You certainly are getting good mileage in.

Totally agreed on the latter. I was chatting with AstraMonti yesterday evening whilst marshalling and we were talking about that too. It's not race pace we'll have to be doing :)

I was just looking at your blog there and comparing strava notes. You certainly are getting good mileage in.

Totally agreed on the latter. I was chatting with AstraMonti yesterday evening whilst marshalling and we were talking about that too. It's not race pace we'll have to be doing :)

whats your strava ID? want compare with progress of the other members of the party.

ill be back to commuting a few times a week now, build up some miles. most of my riding recently has been race training and racing. Ill take it easy tomorrow and see how i get on with the 200 and a bit of climbing.

lennymc wrote: »
    ill be back to commuting a few times a week now, build up some miles. most of my riding recently has been race training and racing. Ill take it easy tomorrow and see how i get on with the 200 and a bit of climbing.

good luck tomorrow lenny you should be fine, your decent for riding at steady pace, will head out for bit tommorow then plan a big one on monday.

good luck tomorrow lenny you should be fine, your decent for riding at steady pace, will head out for bit tommorow then plan a big one on monday.

ah yeah, should be grand. PMA and all that. Really looking forward to it.

will you be out yourself?

lennymc wrote: »
    ah yeah, should be grand. PMA and all that. Really looking forward to it.

will you be out yourself?

Not sure what the plan is for me yet, will no doubt head out at some stage, big ride planned on monday, and already 300km+ this week anyway.

Enjoyed the Mick Byrne, and am feeling okay today. I'd probably be able to do another similar route today, so with a bit of training it'll be doable. Difficult but doable.

Enjoyed the Mick Byrne, and am feeling okay today. I'd probably be able to do another similar route today, so with a bit of training it'll be doable. Difficult but doable.

good man idleater.

Fancy doing the evill 200 and the wicklow 200 in a couple of weeks?

Forms, I have received back from the following people: Idleater, AstraMonti, Planet X, LennyMc, ROK ON and Coastalwatch. I will be sending these off in a week, anyone who's missing or I've misplaced (I don't think I have) let me know by the end of the week please.

From speaking to a couple of you there was a suggestion of mini-groups going around. I know myself that I'm perfectly happy to plod along on my own. I will definitely by in a slow group as I plan on enjoying it and not putting myself under any stress only to finish around 7-8pm each evening. In saying this, I will probably be the most stressed person to finish :pac: Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

my thoughts - play it by ear. if there are planned groups in advance, there may be a mismatch where people blow up trying to keep up. Ill be going at my own pace, (whatever that may be) and not killing myself on this spin. Im equally as happy to plod along on my own, as with someone else.

im bringing my ipod tho.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement