Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Cork - UPC, Eircom, Vodafone?

Options
  • 05-09-2011 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭

Hello there.

We've been with Perlico / Vodafone for Broadband in the Wilton / Bishopstown area for several years. The broadband service in recent months has been awful. The connection keeps failing and neighbours who are also with vodafone have been experiencing the same difficulties.

1. Has anybodyelse had this experience with Vodafone?
    2. What experiences have people had with Eircom in our area?
    3. Has anybody changed to UPC for Broadband/phone Television and if so, what has been your experience?

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Had Eircom broadband - terrible speeds no matter what they tell you in their marketing spiel. Have UPC now for 2 years, it's advertised as 20Mbs, and it is, has only gone down once on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DeleveleD

I'm constantly hearing a lot of smacktalk about UPC but as far as I can tell they're the best.

They handle my ~50 gig of download each month without complaining and give me awesome speeds for only 50€ a month.

Also moving with them is really easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭overmantle

Delighted to hear that. What about UPC for television and telephone. Is anybody getting all 3 (Broadband, TV and telephone) from UPC in Cork / Wilton/ Bishopstown area? Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭markok84

I have the basic TV and 25mb broadband with UPC. There's fupp all on TV anyway so I'm thinking of cutting it, plus they're jacking up the price by €10 this month on the TV part. Cant fault the broadband though, it's never gone down and it's very quick. Only complaint I have is that they have a €3 charge for not using Direct debit.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

I've got broadband through UPC and it's excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭Ahoyhoy

DeleveleD wrote: »
    I'm constantly hearing a lot of smacktalk about UPC but as far as I can tell they're the best.

They handle my ~50 gig of download each month without complaining and give me awesome speeds for only 50€ a month.

Also moving with them is really easy.

I got sick of the lot of them, we moved to this random crowd called Nova networks. Small Cork based company, better service than any of the rest and it's nice to support an Irish owned company. 20MG as well and I've never gone over the download limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭DeleveleD

Ahoyhoy wrote: »
    I got sick of the lot of them, we moved to this random crowd called Nova networks. Small Cork based company, better service than any of the rest and it's nice to support an Irish owned company. 20MG as well and I've never gone over the download limit.

True, true. If you expect good customer service at a low monthly price you're going to be disappointed. If you want low prices you need to be able to do a lot of troubleshooting yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 375 ✭✭kart

Was with Eircom, speed was slower than expected. UP TO.. meant it never got up to the speed advertised.
    UPC speed is way faster tho, had it for a year before moving, great stuff! Altho same rule "up to that-and-that speed" applies, they actually are giving u what u pay for.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,947 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Have UPC at the moment - nothing comes close to it tbh.
    Got a free upgrade from 30 to 50 MB a few weeks ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

You will not get any better than UPC anywhere outside Dublin. Magnet is the only contender in Dublin really. You get the throughput you pay for and you can download up to 500 gb a month which is not gonna happen for a regular user really.Rarely goes down, I can't actually remember the last time it did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭sporina

So UPC is going up again - and is it my imagination or has their broadband slowed down a bit of late? Our TV is always "loading" as well - anyone else notice anything like that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

Nope, still happy with UPC. I download ~350GB a month at 11MBps, no other broadband is going to give me that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Not sure what it would be like there but we have UPC and it rocks, super speedy and they up the speeds every year more or less. were bout the same as Omahaid it rocks, we don't have the tv channels with them we did for one year and well the channels were crap but we found for some reason with that package they were a little scatty but just for broadband tis great

• Registered Users Posts: 6,882 ✭✭✭sporina

Milly33 wrote: »
    Not sure what it would be like there but we have UPC and it rocks, super speedy and they up the speeds every year more or less. were bout the same as Omahaid it rocks, we don't have the tv channels with them we did for one year and well the channels were crap but we found for some reason with that package they were a little scatty but just for broadband tis great

but am i right in thinking that you have to have tv with upc in order to have their broadband?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭omahaid

No, you can have broadband without the tv.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

AS above we just have the broadband with them, just not into having all those channels so we opted out and have the broadband and the phone package deal we don't really use the phone but tis more or less the same price and the phone is handy for emergencies..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

What are vodafone like these days and how long do they take to install?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭corks finest

overmantle wrote: »
    Hello there.

We've been with Perlico / Vodafone for Broadband in the Wilton / Bishopstown area for several years. The broadband service in recent months has been awful. The connection keeps failing and neighbours who are also with vodafone have been experiencing the same difficulties.

1. Has anybodyelse had this experience with Vodafone?
    2. What experiences have people had with Eircom in our area?
    3. Has anybody changed to UPC for Broadband/phone Television and if so, what has been your experience?

Thank you in advance.
    hi ref e fibre with eircom,have the stand alone broadband bundle,(no phone)e40 @month,with speeds now of averaging 75 mb here in carrigaline,abs fab,also without download limit

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mcko

UPC is really fast.

Advertisement