Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Friends won't read my book

• 05-09-2011 3:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi guys.

Just wondering if this has ever happened to you and if you could offer me some advice?
    I have been writing for years and have written several manuscripts. I am very confident in one of my manuscripts; a children's book (approx 60k words) and am querying agents as we speak.
    My family have read the book and loved it. Just to let you know my family are very critical and don't hold back. I have gone through several drafts in order to make it as polished as I can. I am happy with the pacing and character development.
    Two of my friends have asked to read it and so I emailed them a copy 2 months ago. I have not heard any word back from them about it. I am almost positive one of them has read it and the other seems to be procrastinating.

I am quite hurt. I told them I was open to criticism. My family have given me criticism and I took this onboard. I've met my first friend a couple of times and she hasn't mentioned it. I waited for her to raise the subject because I didn't want to get a 'charity' reply.

Has this ever happened to you? Fair enough the book might not be to their taste but there must be some redeemable qualities? I know I have a strong imagination and write well. (These were compliments I received from teachers in the past)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

With the best will in the world most people won't read a book for the sake of giving feedback on it. Unless they're genuinely enthralled by it they'll most likely keep putting it off. Or read it, hate it and not know how to tell you.

I'd recommend putting all or part if it up in the Write Club forum and/or swapping it with another writer who needs a beta reader as you'll be more likely to get honest feedback that way. Let me know if you want to join the Write Club (although you'll need to register with boards.ie first).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭ThePinkCage

Are you in a writer's group, or do you have friends who are writers? Friends who are writers are more likely to appreciate what you've gone through to put together and give you the feedback you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Some people are just slow readers. I sent out my novel to a second round of beta-readers (that term seems to have really caught on, oh what a world) and some never read it, others gave me feedback within a week, and others kept it for later. Some of my best feedback came from an old acquaintance who I had put in the "ignored it" pile, but was just saving it for a long flight and she completely loved it, so it was a nice delayed burst.

You also need to be aware that people might not be into what you write. My current stuff is all werewolves etc, and so many people have no interest in that, so I don't force it. People could be the same way with your children's book.

Plus some people just don't read. It's an odd concept, but true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Nevermind what friends and family say. Try to find other aspiring writers with whom you can exchange feedback. I don't often offer appraisals of creative work done by friends of mine, but when I do they would probably consider what I've told them to be "not holding back." However, that's rarely the case; if I gave completely honest feedback then they wouldn't remain friends very long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

60k is a little long for a children's book. What age are you targetting?

I suspect that what has happened is that your friends have either read it and not particularly enjoyed it, but don't know exactly why, and so they are dodging you, because they don't know what to say to you. Or else they haven't finished it, which is a big sign to you that it needs more work

Rather than asking friends to "not hold back", ask them specific questions like "What bits bored you?" and "What bits were difficult to understand?", "What did you not like?" and "Which characters annoyed you?"

Bear in mind that a children's novel should be easy to read. If they haven't finished it, it's likely you are not writing for your target market.

• Advertisement

If you pm me a chapter, I'll tell you what I think. One chapter is more than enough for an agent or publisher to know if it's publishable. And the other Boardsies will vouch that I don't hold back to be polite.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Yeah, friends and family are horrible for this stuff unless you write something that really grabs them from your synopsis. Even then, they won't be able to give you the key technical insight that you'll need that a potential publisher/editor will pick up on straight away.

I'd take their silence on the matter as a hint, though, either that they don't enjoy it or they're just not bothered enough to read it. Don't be hurt or offended. Even their inaction is a reaction in itself. Take it on the chin, move forward and that feedback will ultimately help you in the long run. Plus, you've now got a good offer on the table for some constructive criticism from Eileen.

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭Ben Moore

All the advice here is good, with Kinski and Eileen being particluarly good.

Friends and family either can be too harsh or too kind, you need somebody who will do both but be neither.

I've been through this a couple of times on various projects. I found the best and most reliable people were the ones I met through writing classes.

If you are really stuck, I suggest that you give it to somebody else who was passionate about writing in the class where you mentioned your teacher (or even the teacher themselves).

Or try it on somebody in the age group you want to read it, a lot of agents use their sons/daughters/nieces/nephews etc. as sounding boards.

I reckon it helps if you get a good crit from someone who doesn't know you. It's easier to be honest if you are not going to be meeting them at PTA meetings, and you won't worry that personality is coming into play.

A good reviewer should be able to deal with a genre she might not personally enjoy, but in this case, I both write YA and read both YA and children's books. I borrowed "Airhead" by Meg Cabot from the library today which my ten year old wants when I'm done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭IsMiseLisa

A friend bugged me for months to let her read my book. I emailed it and got a text a week later that read: "Omg, I love. I can't believe how far in I've got already." Asked what page she was on and she said: "14."

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,706 ✭✭✭Matt Holck

none of my family cares for my book

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭JaneHudson

My family never reads my stuff, they're not big readers in fairness. Better to get people you know are into reading/writing to do it. Trying to force someone who isn't into reading to do so is really not fair on them.

Personally I'm a big reader but I simply havent had time for even reading for pleasure lately, nevermind critiquing someone's book (yes, i know, person who asked me :o ), I've read about a few pages of a book i love in the last number of weeks

i think pick's idea is a good one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭Thud

I have a long flight on Friday, was looking for something to read...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭DamoRed

I have never asked any family members to review or critique my work, but I do have a couple of friends I know I can trust. The best way, though, is for to sound out other writers in a similar position, so that there's an understanding of what's required and there'll be hopefully no 'charity' replies as you put it.

Pardon me for going off-topic, but this is something I've often wondered about but never asked - How does somebody post as a guest without being a member?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Just log out and use one of the forums which allow anonymous posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi everyone.
    Thank you for the replies. I'm sorry my reply is so late.
    I will definitely think about joining that group pickarooney. At the moment I'm going on holiday for a few weeks so will do so when I get back.

In the meantime I have happy news. I got a full request for my manuscript from an agent at Writers House! I know it could easily be rejected but I must be doing something with my writing!

Congratulations. Good luck.

Advertisement