Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone been to Peniche?

Options
  • 05-09-2011 3:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hey Everyone
    Anyone ever been to Peniche in Portugal. I have a week in November and was thinking of heading over. Looking at Baleal Beach House and doing the 5 days of surf lessons. I'm not a total beginner but could do with some coaching alright I reckon.
    Not stuck on Peniche though, would consider anywhere.

Thanks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

I'm just back from Ericiera in Portugal and had a ball. If you are not stuck on Peniche then this'd be a good place to go. I booked my trip through surfholidays.com and had 5 days lessons included for 98 euro which was pretty good. Instructors were real good and being taught in large waves was a different kettle of fish compared to the 2ft tiddlers that I'm usually on in Tramore!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Provid

Cheers for that, will check it out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

I can second Ericeira. Consistent waves, reefs & beach breaks and nice wee buzz about the town.

Was thinking about using surf holidays later this year. Sounds like they are on the ball.

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Heading over to Portugal on the 27th Sept for a weeks surfing and was originally thinking Peniche but must check out the deals around Ericeira also.

Are they easy to get to from Lisbon airport? I know Peniche has a bus directly from the airport

Organised as ever with flights and no accomidation sorted so still open to ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 suzr

I was in Figueara da Foz in July. There are so many breaks there and it's not overly crowded. Good for surfing off the beaten track. it's about an hour from Porto and 2 1/2 from Lisboa. I got a bus from Lisboa bus station (10 minutes in a taxi from airport).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭niall mc

I was in Peniche a few years ago. It's a funny place. No real centre to it and only a couple of bars. Great surf though.

I have been to ericeira a couple of times and I'd recommend it more. It's a bit bigger and has more choice of restaurants and bars. It's quiet enough though but there are loads of places to surf.

You can't go wrong with Portugal though, cheap food and drink and the people are amazingly nice.

If you're looking for a lively surf town with plenty of parties, check out San Sebastian or Biarritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭niall mc

Rippeditup wrote: »
    Heading over to Portugal on the 27th Sept for a weeks surfing and was originally thinking Peniche but must check out the deals around Ericeira also.

Are they easy to get to from Lisbon airport? I know Peniche has a bus directly from the airport

Organised as ever with flights and no accomidation sorted so still open to ideas.

Ericeira is a 40 minute bus ride and you don't need a car to get around. A car is handy in Peniche. We hired cars twice out there and it sat in the carpark the whole time in Ericeira.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,276 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sure you know what you're letting yourself in for OP? :D

Supertubos, Peniche
    kuDm4.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Provid

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Sure you know what you're letting yourself in for OP? :D

Hmmm....maybe I'll wait till the end of the week before tackling Supertubos, make sure my eye is in. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 roberb

Bit late coming to this so you may have booked :) If you are going away in November i think Peniche, Lagos or Fuereteventura are your best options. All places will be quiet in November and all will have swell so you will get good waves.

Ericeira is a great place but it will be quiet in November and there is no real surf camp buzz - its great to go with a few friends but not great for solo trips.

Baleal is great for solo trips as you can stay in one of the surf houses and meet a few others heads and the surf is on your doorstep.

Biarritz and San Sebastian are great but outside of the water it will be cold, cloudy and not so lively.

Fuerte will be 20 degrees plus inside and oustide of the water so that would be my choice. Followed closely by Peniche

• Advertisement
Advertisement