Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idea on cost ??

• 05-09-2011 4:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Hi all, I have a lovely one year old cat that got hit by a car saturday, thankfully we found him and got him to the vets..... his pelvis is broken in three places, but so far he seems to be improving, in that he's is eating/drinking and peeing with no probs.
    The vet said they are going to keep him for another couple of days and then we can take him home for cage rest as he feels the bones should knit together.... he would rather this than surgery.

I was hoping someone here could tell me how much his treament so far would cost, his had x-rays, fluids, bloods and has been in their care since sat ??

I hope I don't sound heartless, I adore the little rascal, whole family does, and am delighted he's doing much better ( poor thing was in a bad way when we found him, was worried he wouldnt make it through the night ) but we stupidly didnt get pet insurance and are both out of work with young child to look after so obviously things are tight as I'm sure many on here can imagin.

If anyone could give me a general idea of cost I would appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

x-rays (~€100-150)
    , fluids (~€20), bloods (€20-50 depending on what panel got done)and has been in their care since sat (~€20 per day hospitalisation) Consult (~€50)??.
    This would be my guess. Id say expect €300-400.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BrokecatOwner

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it:)

Will be taking out insurance straight away, don't want to get burnt again.

Thanks for your reply, appreciate it:)

Will be taking out insurance straight away, don't want to get burnt again.
    Yeh,do i have it for mine its the price of a couple of drinks and you dont notice it being deducted. Luckily he's being allowed mend by himself....surgery can be MEGA money!!!! Actually come back and let us know what you do eventually pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 BrokecatOwner

Will do Annie,

Nearly had a heart attack at the cost of surgery, was told around 1,500:eek:, so am very happy vet feels cage rest is the best option.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Will do Annie,

Nearly had a heart attack at the cost of surgery, was told around 1,500:eek:, so am very happy vet feels cage rest is the best option.

I would agree and say about 400. I know your pain we went through something similar a couple of months ago, though thankfully we have insurance. If thus is your regular vet would he do a payment plan, most do! Good luck and hope he feels better!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I was about to say that rebuilding a Pelvis would be a seriously expensive job - lot of pinning etc.

Hopefully he will recover. Animals, especially Cats, do seem to have a remarkable ability to heal.

Having just paid out €600 because of a grass seed I dread the idea of being faced with a potential bill that I could not afford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Not sure on cost, but above sounds about right.

Just wanted to say my cat broke his led at the hip this time last year, vet wouldn't X-ray unless I really wanted it because he knew it was broke and hips and pelvis seemed ok.

We had to do the whole cage rest thing, I have a dog crate here that was the right size for a bed and the litter tray, it was a godsend, if you don't have one I'd highly recommend getting a lone of or buying a cheap one.

I used vet bed as a bed as I could fold it up around 3 sides of the cage and there was no step into it. Its easy to wash in case of accidents too.
    I also cut a chunk out of the side of a cheap litter tray so he didn't have to step over the edge.

Cats are a bugger to get fluids into, my fella got very dehydrated, so we got some wet food and poured warm water on about 2 teaspoons of the food at a time, about 5 or 6 times a day. Built the amount of food up as he began eating more.

Also don't let him out of the crate at all, I know you'll feel sorry for him but its not worth it, we fell for the big eyes and bawling after 3 weeks and let him out for a stretch as he was kind of walking, big mistake, ended up not able to stand the next day or two.

By week 6 he was able to walk, so we let him out in a room to move around twice a day, gradually building up time out of cage. He was 8 weeks before he was allowed out all day, and it was 12 weeks before he was allowed outside.
    He's fine now and healed really well, but my vet was very strict about keeping him in until 12 weeks to be sure he had healed really well and got his strength back.

Hope you don't mind all the advice, but just wanted to let you know what was ahead, and that cats are amazing healers, mine still leaps around and hunts and does manage to get out of my garden (despite my best efforts to contain him).

Just to add, my vet had to try 3 painkillers and anti inflams before the cat would eat or drink, needed really strong ones or he just wouldn't move (hence the dehydration).
    Best of luck.

Excellent advice mymo
    mymo wrote: »
    Also don't let him out of the crate at all, I know you'll feel sorry for him but its not worth it, we fell for the big eyes and bawling after 3 weeks and let him out for a stretch as he was kind of walking, big mistake, ended up not able to stand the next day or two
    This will be your biggest challenge and the "guilt" will be so tough after a few weeks....DO NOT give in!It will feel soooo long,but once its over and done with you'll be so glad you persevered ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Nothing like the guilt I felt when he went backwards after 10 mins walking around.

Op, most vets will be reasonable about payment, have a chat with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

Tip I was given when my dog had a broken pelvis was to make sure and add a bit of olive oil or similar to her dinner so when she poo'd everything just eased out :eek: Not enough to make her runny but just so she didn't have to push hard and put stress on the pelvis

• Advertisement
Advertisement