Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastic roof sheeting

• 05-09-2011 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of building a lean to off the back of the house to give me a bit of shelter from the rain. I have been given a price on corrugated pvc sheet of €34 per 12ft (2ft wide) sheets from local BP.

Can I do any better? Is this stuff available second hand? What's it called in the trade (for search engines).

Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Forget that stuff. I would advise using multi-walled polycarbonate sheeting. Much stronger and there are very neat glazing bars to fix it securely.

A woodshed I built using the stuff:

WshedA.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

The roof you posted looks like corrugated pvc as per my post ? Also cost is an issue. I bet that multi-walled stuff is pricy. All I want to do is keep rain off the top of the leanto, no walls at all.

The sheets are multiwalled Polycarbonate, as I said. They are flat on both sides.

cnocbui wrote: »
    The sheets are multiwalled Polycarbonate, as I said. They are flat on both sides.

Many thanks, what about cost?

Well I imported mine from the UK and the sheets were on special so the cost wouldn't mean much.

B&Q carry it, but i don't know the price in Ireland as their site is UK only

The uk price is £22.98 for 700mm x 2400mm sheet

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&amp;fh_secondid=9272903&amp;fh_location=//catalog01/en_GB/categories<{9372016}/categories<{9372048}/categories<{9372261}/specificationsProductType=roofing_sheets/specificationsSpecificProductType=corotherm

So that's quite a bit dearer than the PVC.

• Advertisement

Yeah, on average the gig chain DIY'ers UK prices are doubled and converted to € here, I priced pvc sheet last night on the Homebase site at £9.n per sheet. Today I went into the store in Sligo and the sheets are €19.n. So your stuff might be anywhere upto €50 but then the length is too short, I need 10ft sheets so maybe €60+ per sheet. Welcome to Ireland my friends.

Which is why I bought everything from the Uk and had it shipped. ;)

cnocbui wrote: »
    Which is why I bought everything from the Uk and had it shipped. ;)

Do you mind me askin, where did you buy from? Have they a website?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Get the stuff up in Belfast or even Newry.I hour from Dublin

Simples.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Get the stuff up in Belfast or even Newry.I hour from Dublin

Simples.

Paddy, where would you sho pup there? In the big multiples? BQ, Homebase? or have you some other retailer in mind?

I live in Sligo so could get to Omagh oe Enniskillen. No trailer though and petrol would hit me for about €40 so gotta bear it all in mind.

• Advertisement

dnme wrote: »
    Do you mind me askin, where did you buy from? Have they a website?

I got all the stuff from here: http://www.rockwell-meriden.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Vote 4 Pedro

Hi cnocbui,
    Was that multi-walled polycarbonate sheeting easy to cut to shape, did it crack, it looks like the right job ok.

Yes, It's easy to cut. No It doesn't tend to crack because the stuff is fairly ductile. I used a jigsaw and a clamp on straight edge as a guide. You do need to vacuum out the dust and seal one edge with an air permeable tape and seal the other with an adhesive aluminum foil tape if you don't want condensation inside the panels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Hi dnme, Posting the link below. Might be no good to you.
    Also I priced corrugated perspex in Brooks in Sligo a few months back for a job I was thinking about but never got around to. :D A few days later I was passing through Bundoran and hopped in to BMG Hardware and they gave me a far better price. So maybe worth a phonecall. If I can find the 2 prices I'll let you know.
    Good luck with the project anyway.

http://enviroclad.com/

Advertisement