Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good walk for a dog off the lead

Options
  • 05-09-2011 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭

hi all,
    am just wondering do any of u no a nice walk where i can let the dog of the lead,preferably down past ballincollig direction,cause will be going for a bite to eat down that way nyway. nice woods or beach r something like that.cheers.

Comments

Head out the fields across the road from the anglers rest. Bit muddy though with the recent weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

or farran woods but thats a bit further out. no beaches near ballincollig AFAIK:D

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

Ballincollig Regional Park..
    http://ballincollig.wordpress.com/regional-park/ (for directions)
    I've brought my dog out here a few times, nice walk and it is fairly quiet in the evenings.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

corkcomp wrote: »
    or farran woods but thats a bit further out. no beaches near ballincollig AFAIK:D

Farran Woods is very anti-dogs off leashes, there's signs everywhere about it. If you get down by the water's edge though, and your dog likes swimming no one seems to mind around there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭fulhamfanincork

Don't bring your dog to the beach please. ****ing hate that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

thanking you all for the replies,was thinking farran woods myself havnt been down there in years,she loves a good swim,so will head there id say,might try the anglers for some grub too.:)

Don't bring your dog to the beach please. ****ing hate that.

why so?

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

Isn't it Illegal to have your dog off its leash in a public area?

As far as I'm aware, the dog must be under the "effective control" of the owner.

A Country Voice

ok,im not getting into the legality of walking my dog off the lead at ten past twelve at night,
    my thread asked a question about where i could go for a nice walk,please dont hijack my thread with questions on legality of walking her on or off the lead.
    feel free to start ur own thread on that if u wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

ok,im not getting into the legality of walking my dog off the lead at ten past twelve at night,
    my thread asked a question about where i could go for a nice walk,please dont hijack my thread with questions on legality of walking her on or off the lead.

Its a quarter to two in the afternoon now if that suits better :D

Your thread asked a question about going for a walk and possibly carrying out an illegal activity, didn't it?

I'm just reminding you that its illegal as far as I'm aware to walk a dog that is not under your "effective control" ie. on a lead/leash.

A country voice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I'm just reminding you that its illegal as far as I'm aware to walk a dog that is not under your "effective control" ie. on a lead/leash.

Nope. Only restricted breeds have to be on a leash. "Effective control" means that the dog will obey your commands to "sit", "heel" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Your thread asked a question about going for a walk and possibly carrying out an illegal activity, didn't it?

A country voice

I also think you should consider the law here. Now I'm not sure if it is strictly against the law to have a dog off a lead in public HOWEVER there are rules to be followed on certain walkways etc. and please respect those.

Remember, the walks are also used by children and other walkers (both with and without dogs).

..oh and I presume you're carrying a dog litter bag too...just checking :), it's a problem on the rise near where we live. The walkway by the river has dog shít all over it, hard to keep kids aware of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

A country voice

I don't know about out and about in general but for beaches in County Cork:
    Between the hours of 12pm and 6pm persons in charge of a dog on a beach are required to keep such dog on a leash.

www.corkcoco.ie/co/pdf/734365272.pdf

Stark wrote: »
    You're wrong. Only restricted breeds have to be on a leash. "Effective control" means that the dog will obey your commands to "sit", "heel" etc.

while this is true it's also a bit laughable. I was walking with my two children last weekend when two dogs came running straight for us & barking . They were nice dogs in fairness and I knew they weren't coming to cause any harm or anything but my 5 year old and 2 year old had a terrible fright, I calmed them down but funnily enough the dogs were not paying any attention to their owner as she lazily tried to call them back.

Those dogs aren't under effective control though. The law is the way it is so that responsible dog owners who are able to keep their dogs under control without a leash aren't punished.

very inconsiderate response. Nobody is hijacking 'your' thread, merely pointing out some rules that should be respected...no matter what time of day you have.

Those dogs aren't under effective control though. The law is the way it is so that responsible dog owners who are able to keep their dogs under control without a leash aren't punished.

well the way I see it is no dog owners are punished. Those who have total disregard for the rules are getting away with it because the rules are not being enforced and the law abiding people end up suffering.

Who did you report the incident to?

Who did you report the incident to?

in this particular case I didn't report it, you know why? Based on previous experiences I know what will be done, the owner and dogs were gone so what can be done? What can a warden do in this case? The answer: Nothing.

It's a pity that some people just can't be responsible for their dogs, then we wouldn't have to be reporting all the time!
    There are lots of responsible owners out there and it's great, but as usual...it's the minority...

Out of interest how many dog wardens are there in the city? Not many I presume, and now money is so scarce I feel it's a problem that is only going to get worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

I think the biggest problem with dog owners who let their dogs out in public off-leash is that though they may know their dog is totally harmless and the most loving and lovable creature on the earth, the other people in the vicinity do not - and there are a lot of people who are terrified of dogs. Not the mention the danger the dogs pose to joggers, cyclists etc - I've lost count of the times I have nearly been killed because of or nearly killed a dog while cycling and the owners snarl like it's your fault!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Realtine

thread has totally veered off topic. hate that.

evilivor wrote:
    I think the biggest problem with dog owners who let their dogs out in public off-leash is that though they may know their dog is totally harmless and the most loving and lovable creature on the earth, the other people in the vicinity do not - and there are a lot of people who are terrified of dogs. Not the mention the danger the dogs pose to joggers, cyclists etc

To be fair, there are a lot of people who hate children as well but you don't expect parents to not bring their kids outside. It's unreasonable to expect people not to bring their dogs out just because a minority of people have a bee in their bonnet about them. It's very rare that I've had issue with dogs and I run and cycle every day.

Realtine wrote: »
    thread has totally veered off topic. hate that.

so it has!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

"Effective control" means that the dog will obey your commands to "sit", "heel" etc.

Most dogs don't obey commands, so for them to be under effective control they should be on a lead.

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    Most dogs don't obey commands, so for them to be under effective control they should be on a lead.

What evidence do you have to back that up? Not that your opinion is legally binding. It was claimed that the OP was acting illegally by wanting to let his/her dog off its lead. That's not true.

I was doing an intervals session the other day and someone was playing fetch with their dog without a lead. Any time I was coming through on a fast interval, she'd tell the dog to sit still and the dog did so and I was happy and she was happy. I wish I could say doing intervals was as easy with walkers around.

Then I went home and told the dog warden that I wet myself with fear when I saw the dog, just to be a **** about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

To be fair, there are a lot of people who hate children as well but you don't expect parents to not bring their kids outside. It's unreasonable to expect people not to bring their dogs out just because a minority of people have a bee in their bonnet about them. It's very rare that I've had issue with dogs and I run and cycle every day.

One of the most stupid posts I've ever read on here.
    What evidence do you have to back that up?

Personal experience.

H8GHOTI wrote: »

One of the most stupid posts I've ever read on here

And one of the most ignorant replies I've seen

seriously what a dumb comment. So many things wrong with your post,
    1. Kids are humans
    2. I don't let my child shít on the footpath.

It's a pity so many dog owners tend to see dogs as child replacements.

Then I went home and told the dog warden that I wet myself with fear when I saw the dog, just to be a **** about it

no need for smart comments. A 5 year old and a 2 year old see two dogs barking like crazy and running towards them...what do you expect?

No kids yourself no? perhaps some day when you grow up eh..

• Advertisement

seriously what a dumb comment. So many things wrong with your post,
    1. Kids are humans
    2. I don't let my child shít on the footpath.

It's a pity so many dog owners tend to see dogs as child replacements.

Cynophobia is just one of hundreds of documented phobias. should every phobia be pandered to by making the offending article illegal?

I never disputed that someone shouldn't be prosecuted for not cleaning up after their dog.

People have a right to own dogs. Dogs need to be walked. Just because you hate dogs doesn't mean that people shouldn't be allowed walk them in your prescence. The op asked about walking his or her dog late at night. It's unlikely you'll have your kids out that late. A thread decrying his/her actions as illegal is uncalled for.

Advertisement