Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

good walk for a dog off the lead

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,993 ✭✭✭✭Stark

no need for smart comments. A 5 year old and a 2 year old see two dogs barking like crazy and running towards them...what do you expect?

No kids yourself no? perhaps some day when you grow up eh..
    Seriously? I won't discuss my personal circumstances here.

I can understand small children being intimidated by big dogs. I was referring to adults with dog phobias wanting dogs kept away from them. like with all phobias, there's a certain obligation to address the phobia itself rather than legislating every problem away. As long as the owner calls a dog back promptly, there shouldn't be abn issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Stark wrote: »
    Cynophobia is just one of hundreds of documented phobias. should every phobia be pandered to by making the offending article illegal?

I never disputed that someone shouldn't be prosecuted for not cleaning up after their dog.

People have a right to own dogs. Dogs need to be walked. Just because you hate dogs doesn't mean that people shouldn't be allowed walk them in your prescence. The op asked about walking his or her dog late at night. It's unlikely you'll have your kids out that late. A thread decrying his/her actions as illegal is uncalled for.

When did I say I hated dogs? When did I say I had an abnormal fear of dogs? Get your facts right if you want to engage in debate.

I never said the OP's actions were illegal, I just pointed the OP in the direction of the rules which help maintain a safe environment for all.

I'm not really sure of your input however.

Seriously? I won't discuss my personal circumstances here.

I can understand small children being intimidated by big dogs. I was referring to adults with dog phobias wanting dogs kept away from them. like with all phobias, there's a certain obligation to address the phobia itself rather than legislating every problem away. As long as the owner calls a dog back promptly, there shouldn't be abn issue.

You won't discuss your personal circumstances but are willing to make dumb remarks based on other people's open and frank posts? How bravado you are!

Why did you make a stupid comment about reporting the dog out of fear of just seeing it? No one ever said anything of the sort?
    Also why are you using the term Cynophobia? Is this just another case of raising an objection to something and all of a sudden the objector is a hater of the subject...a-la-Ali-G??

OP I hope you find somewhere to walk the dog and everyone lives happily ever after.

If you read the post I actually quoted and that you thanked, someone brought up the issue that there could be people in the vicinity of the dog who are terrified of dogs. I think that's irrelevant, a person has the right to have their dog in the vicinity regardless of someone's phobia. If the dog is under effective control like the law says, then the dog isn't going to be chasing after those people. We don't need additional legislation that panders to people's fear of even being near a dog. I don't even think stories of irresponsible dog owners should have been brought into the thread. If someone posts a thread looking for nice places to go cycling to pick one example, you don't go bringing anecdotes of people hit by cyclists breaking red lights etc., you give the OP the benefit of the doubt that they're one of the majority of responsible people. The OP wasn't being inconsiderate when asking for that small bit of respect.
    Also why are you using the term Cynophobia? Is this just another case of raising an objection to something and all of a sudden the objector is a hater of the subject...a-la-Ali-G??

Cynophobia means a fear of dogs.

Cynophobia means a fear of dogs.

I know that, actually it's defined as an abnormal fear of dogs...which you would have known if you read my posts above.

Still no need to indicate anyone here suffers from it, you're jumping to conclusions just because you don't agree with the opinions of others on this topic.

• Advertisement

Do I really need to quote the post I was replying to again?
    I think the biggest problem with dog owners who let their dogs out in public off-leash is that though they may know their dog is totally harmless and the most loving and lovable creature on the earth, the other people in the vicinity do not - and there are a lot of people who are terrified of dogs. Not the mention the danger the dogs pose to joggers, cyclists etc - I've lost count of the times I have nearly been killed because of or nearly killed a dog while cycling and the owners snarl like it's your fault!

The bit about being terrified of dogs regardless of well behaved they are is cynophobia. In response to the second point, I also run and cycle regularly through parks and along narrow paths frequented by dog walkers with dogs both on leashes and without. I've had the occasional small dog try to go under my ankles (and to be fair, it's usually the leashed ones who are the worst for this) but the vast majority I've passed without incident. It's only a small inconvenience for to slow down a little when I pass someone with a dog and I think it makes life more pleasant for everyone including myself to just let them enjoy their walk. (as long as they clean up any poo etc.). To say that they pose a danger to me is really overstating things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I saw the title of this thread and knew immediately it would be a complete train wreck.

If your dog is well behaved and well trained, most public ammenitites are great, like the Lee Fields or The Lough. Currabinny Woods is great as well though your pooch will destroy himself in mud and stuff, so your car may take a battering when ye are done.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭A Country Voice

God this turned into a right debate :D

I've nothing against dogs. I quite like them.
    The laws are there though. We all have to abide by the law of the land.
    Once people abide by the law of the land they are free to enjoy themselves as they wish. I do hope everyone enjoys walking their dogs reponsibly, taking the following into account...................

Litter Pollution Act, 1997
    Dog related offence.
    22.—(1) Where faeces has been deposited by a dog in any place to which this subsection applies, the person in charge of the dog shall immediately remove the faeces and shall ensure that it is properly disposed of in a suitable sanitary manner.

(2) Subsection (1) applies to a place that is—

(a) a public road,

(b) land forming part of a retail shopping centre,

(c) a school ground, sports ground, playing field or recreational or leisure area,

(d) a beach,

(e) the curtilage of a dwelling the occupier of which has not consented to the presence of the dog in the curtilage, or

(f) such other place as may be prescribed.

(3) Subsection (1) does not apply in respect of—

(a) a guide dog kept and used for the guidance of a blind person,

(b) a working dog being used—

(i) for the herding of livestock, or

(ii) by a member of the Garda Síochána or the Customs and Excise service in connection with the official functions of the member, or

(c) a dog in such other circumstances as may be prescribed.

(4) A person who contravenes subsection (1) shall be guilty of an offence.

AND..............................

CONTROL OF DOGS REGULATIONS, 1998

Leashing and Muzzling
    5. (1) This article shall apply to every:—

(a) American Pit Bull Terrier,

(b) Bull Mastiff,

(c) Doberman Pinscher,

(d) English Bull Terrier,

(e) German Shepherd (Alsatian),

(f) Japanese Akita,

(g) Japanese Tosa,

(h) Rhodesian Ridgeback,

(i) Rottweiler,

(j) Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and

to every dog of the type commonly known as a Ban Dog (or Bandog), and to every other strain or cross of every breed or type of dog described in this article.

2) A person shall not permit a dog to which this article applies to be in a public place unless such dog is:—

(i) securely muzzled; and

(ii) being led by a sufficiently strong chain or leash, not exceeding two metres in length, by a person over the age of sixteen years who is capable of controlling the said dog.

Identification of ownership of Dogs
    6. (1) The owner or other person in charge of a dog shall ensure that such dog shall at all times wear a collar bearing the name and address of the owner inscribed thereon, or on a plate, badge or disc attached thereto.

(2) No person shall in any manner alter, deface, mutilate or render illegible the particulars prescribed under sub-article (1) to be inscribed on a collar to be worn by a dog, or on a plate, badge or disc to be attached thereto, nor shall any person allow a dog to wear a collar, or a plate, badge or disc attached thereto, which has been altered, defaced, mutilated or rendered illegible as aforesaid or upon which the particulars have become illegible.

(3) A breach of any provision of this article shall be an offence to which section 28(1) of the Act applies.

AND...............

Control of Dogs Act, 1986

9.—(1) The owner or any other person in charge of a dog shall not permit the dog to be in any place other than—

(a) the premises of the owner, or

(b) the premises of such other person in charge of the dog, or

(c) the premises of any other person, with the consent of that person,

unless such owner or such other person in charge of the dog accompanies it and keeps it under effectual control.

(2) If a dog worries livestock, the owner or any other person in charge of the dog shall be guilty of an offence unless it is established that at the material time the dog worried the livestock for the purpose of removing trespassing livestock and that having regard to all the circumstances the action was reasonable and necessary.

(3) A person who is guilty of an offence under subsection (2) of this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £500, or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding one month, or, at the discretion of the court, to both such fine and such imprisonment.

AND................

27.—(1) Any person who keeps a dog without a licence contrary to section 2 of this Act shall be guilty of an offence and shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £100 in respect of each such dog kept by such person.

ANYWAY.....................:D

To summarise OP, If you have a dog, and have a license, and the dog is not on the restricted breeds list above, (if it is on the list you need the dog to be muzzled and on a sub 2 metre leash), and you have the dog under effectual control, (which I would contend should mean on a leash, but thats only my opinion), and it has a collar with a suitable identification tag on it, and you make sure to clean up after it :D, and don't go unleashed where local authorities have told you not to and have legislated against in local bye laws, then after all that take a stroll wherever is left.

This is not an interpretation of Irish Law, and is only the opinion of A Country Voice.

If you need a proper legal opinion consult a qualified solicitor.

A Country Voice

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Why are you signing your posts? We can see your username ...

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

very inconsiderate response. Nobody is hijacking 'your' thread, merely pointing out some rules that should be respected...no matter what time of day you have.

look lads feel i should say something as i started the thread,had a lovely walk today,my own area instead,dog behaved as she always does,picked up her crap as i always do,she was of the lead and i broke the law because it was 2.30 and we were on the beach and she was off the lead,ah well theres always confession on sunday.:D;);)

• Advertisement

Owen wrote: »
    Why are you signing your posts? We can see your username ...

plasteritup!!:D

Threads like this make baby jebus cry. You'd swear there were children being mauled by dogs all over Cork, and that you couldn't walk outside the door without stepping in dog crap.

I walk my dog off the leash every single day. She's a nervous wreck because someone else beat her for the first couple of years of her life. She stays right next to me except when I'm playing ball with her. We go to a park, where everyone else also has their dog off the leash, and everyone gets on great. It's a very social thing to do, and one of the few things in life you can still enjoy doing without spending money.

We're turning into another England (And nothing against English people, but a lot against the English way of life) - where everything is legislated against, and life is no longer fun. Every car is going to kill someone, everyone's a pedo, and every animal's going to bite your face off.

OP, Currabinny's a great suggestion. My little girl loves the forest there. Take the smaller paths through the forest and no one else will be on them except you and your dog.

I dunno why I sign my posts really, I just got into the habit of it.

Is it annoying or something? :D

Look lads a bit of common sense is all thats called for. There's laws there and they shouldnt be broken.
    If we all decided which laws we'd not have a bother breaking then thats when anarchy begins.

The "ah sure shep wouldnt harm a fly" approach just doesnt cut it.
    The kids that shep is barking at or running towards dont know that.
    If everybody kept their dogs on a leash then the problem wouldnt exist.

I'd say the beach wasnt too packed at 2:30pm today, but still, thats breaking the law.

I suppose its a 1 in a 1,000,000 that there would be a dog warden on the beach right at the only time you ever walked the dog there un-leashed.

Imagine admitting to illegal activity to the nation on boards though :eek:

Anyway, I put the National law up there for all to see. I dont have the local bye laws.
    That takes some of the uncertainty out of the debate. The only realy variable now is what does "effectual control" mean.

A Country Voice

I dunno why I sign my posts really, I just got into the habit of it.

Is it annoying or something?

Yes it is. It's like you're writing a letter. This is a forum - we can all see your username.
    The "ah sure shep wouldnt harm a fly" approach just doesnt cut it.
    The kids that shep is barking at or running towards dont know that.

Then the parents should do a good job and educate their children that dogs are fantastic. Did your parents hide you from everything as a child like parents do today? I remember being frightened by a dog as a kid, and then my Mother getting down on her knees, stroking the dog, and telling me how nice the dog was. Fear was gone, and I learned to love dogs. It stuns me how much kids are insulated from life these days.
    If everybody kept their dogs on a leash then the problem wouldnt exist.

Now I just think you're either trolling, or you have an incredibly simplistic view of the world.
    A Country Voice

:rolleyes:

god tis easy annoy you :D

Anyway
    I think, and I dont feel this view is simplistic! that if you want to let your dog off its leash then you should make sure that it cant cause anyone any harm. Do it in a controlled space without the public or more importantly kids around.

I think that in public areas eg streets, parks, beaches, sports fields, etc dogs should be on a leash.
    Maybe your dog is perfectly behaved, he or she probably is, but the government have to legislate to deal with the people who dont bother training their dogs and keeping them under "effectual control"

Most importantly people should obey the law, whether national or local bye laws. Thats not an English view by the way, thats a view of somone who believes in law and order. Without law and order we're sunk.

A County Voice
    :D

god tis easy annoy you :D

Anyway
    I think, and I dont feel this view is simplistic! that if you want to let your dog off its leash then you should make sure that it cant cause anyone any harm. Do it in a controlled space without the public or more importantly kids around.

I think that in public areas eg streets, parks, beaches, sports fields, etc dogs should be on a leash.
    Maybe your dog is perfectly behaved, he or she probably is, but the government have to legislate to deal with the people who dont bother training their dogs and keeping them under "effectual control"

Most importantly people should obey the law, whether national or local bye laws. Thats not an English view by the way, thats a view of somone who believes in law and order. Without law and order we're sunk.

A County Voice

so,have you any suggestions as to a good walk for my dog off the lead,if i remember correctly that is the title of the thread!!

PLASTERITUP!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Then the parents should do a good job and educate their children that dogs are fantastic. Did your parents hide you from everything as a child like parents do today? I remember being frightened by a dog as a kid, and then my Mother getting down on her knees, stroking the dog, and telling me how nice the dog was. Fear was gone, and I learned to love dogs. It stuns me how much kids are insulated from life these days.

Why were you afraid of the dog? It sounds like it was a nice friendly dog & you had no reason to be afraid. Then your mother telling you how nice it was easy enough.
    How about if a dog is non stop barking & growling? If it looks like it's going to attack a child? What if a dog bites a child? Do you still think dogs are fantastic then?

H8GHOTI

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    How about if a dog is non stop barking & growling? If it looks like it's going to attack a child? What if a dog bites a child? Do you still think dogs are fantastic then?

Absolutely. Dogs rock. Dogs rarely bite children. Very rarely. I can't rememeber the last time in Ireland we'd a case of it*. You're exaggerating a problem which is miniscule.

Besides, if a child young enough to be afraid of a dog, and is put in a situation where it's afraid, or there's potential harm - that's a parenting issue. A parent shouldn't allow a child small enough to have that fear to be on it's own around any animal. Budgie, or Dog.

[EDIT] * I could well be wrong - I hardly ever listen to the news. But even if there was one case in 5 years, it's hardly grounds to go demanding every dog be kept on a lead everywhere except in privately owned fields.

Just out of curiosity - those who have issues with dog's potentially mauling children off the leads - how many of you have been in parks, and seen dangerous uncontrollable dogs off the lead?

Mostly when I walk, it's collies, slobbery labradors, bichon frise's, king charles, jack russells. Hardly the ones that make the news.

I think there's a whole load of sensationalism going on here, and an awful lot of 'won't someone think of the children' being used as some sort of moral stick to beat people over the head about a problem which really doesn't exist.

H8GHOTI wrote: »

H8GHOTI

Such a dog would be put down. You're trying to derail the discussion with a strawman. No one is advocating that dangerous dogs should be let loose around children or adults for that matter.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

I love dogs and my kids love dogs including a fairly boisterous one belong to their cousins (still have the scratches on the car door when she came out to greet us) but if kids are out walking and an uncontrolled snappy dog comes up to them then they will react badly.

From experience the dogs that cause most grief seem to be the ones whose owners let off the lead and then ignore - bit like the worst-behaved kids in public spaces are the ones whose parent just ignore and let off...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

Absolutely. Dogs rock. Dogs rarely bite children. Very rarely. I can't rememeber the last time in Ireland we'd a case of it*. You're exaggerating a problem which is miniscule.

* I could well be wrong - I hardly ever listen to the news. But even if there was one case in 5 years, it's hardly grounds to go demanding every dog be kept on a lead everywhere except in privately owned fields.

If a dog does bite a child (or an adult) it's hardly going to be on the news. So even if you did listen to the news you wouldn't hear about it when it does happen.
    I never exaggerated the problem because I never said how often it happens. But I would think that you are under estimating the problem if you think only one child has been bitten in the last five years.
    Plus I didn't mention just biting in my post, I also mentioned barking & growling which would be more common that biting. But this would still frighten a child.
    Besides, if a child young enough to be afraid of a dog, and is put in a situation where it's afraid, or there's potential harm - that's a parenting issue. A parent shouldn't allow a child small enough to have that fear to be on it's own around any animal. Budgie, or Dog.

A child wouldn't have to be alone to be afraid of a dog.
    Even a child in their parents arms is going to be afraid of a dog that's being aggressive. That's a dog owner issue.
    how many of you have been in parks, and seen dangerous uncontrollable dogs off the lead?

I have.
    Such a dog would be put down.
    Yes it might be but that's not much good to the person who has been attacked.
    You're trying to derail the discussion with a strawman.

No I'm not.
    No one is advocating that dangerous dogs should be let loose around children or adults for that matter.

Who said anyone was advocating it?

so,have you any suggestions as to a good walk for my dog off the lead,if i remember correctly that is the title of the thread!!

PLASTERITUP!!

Anywhere at all, once it's legal. After 6 pm on the beach?

A Country Voice

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Legal Discussions Forum
    >

No more please.

thank you mod,
    really annoying when all i asked was a nice place to walk the dog,two r three helpful answers and then a total hijack in my opinion,maybe should have reported it,but im quite relaxed and dont like being a tell tale.

plasteritup.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

thank you mod,
    really annoying when all i asked was a nice place to walk the dog,two r three helpful answers and then a total hijack in my opinion,maybe should have reported it,but im quite relaxed and dont like being a tell tale.

plasteritup.

Couple of trolls around methinks.

The Ballincollig Park can be a bit busy sometimes, if you want to leave the dog off the leash you could always start your walk from the East Gate side of the park, where the closed Visitor Centre is located and it's much quieter. Coming from the Cork side, take a right at the lights near the Aldi (through the big stone entrance), then take another right down a smaller lane about 100m down. Google link

The Lee Fields is fairly dog friendly as well (watch your step though - minefield) and obviously there's great access to swimming. That's a bit closer to the city centre.

As a dog owner myself (lab) I think everyone can agree that as long as you act sensibly with your dog, knowing when it's ok for them to be off the leash and when you should have them back on, everybody will be happy. Namely, if there are lots of kids around, put your dog back on the leash, or train your dog to walk by your heel (as with ours). Children who have not grown up around dogs will naturally be wary. Especially if your dog is friendly, as that can be seem like an assault to a young child. And pick up your poo. And the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Jon_459

Absolutely agree with previous post. I take my dog to the Lee fields (slobbery lab) and leave her off the lead most times.

I can understand how some people - adults and children - are nervous of dogs, particularly if they're off the lead.

If I see this or there a lots of kids around, I either put the lead back on or go off the path and walk on the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭SlimCi

This thread was completely hijacked by people pushing their own personal agenda. Preaching at people from the higher moral ground is a pain in the backside as MOST dog owners are very sensible and don't want to upset or frighten anyone with their dog. We are policed to such a high degree these days it completely drives me nuts! Political correctness gone mad as usual. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Haha, should actually post this in the pets forum. The indignance and moral outrage that would come from leaving your dog off its lead would make it melt I think.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I'm a dog owner and have walked in all of these spots, and to be honest, I can see why people get annoyed. My two are always on lead and the amount of times I've been harassed by offlead dogs is unreal, and most of them have been the 'friendly' labs, who run at us snarling. My pup was bitten on the leg by a golden retriever one day for merely walking past him. If the dog is under effective control, then I'm fine with it being off lead, but the truth is that most people dont have that control over their dogs. I no longer walk in the lee fields because of the amount of dogs that have lunged at mine or end up following us and no amount of calling from the owner makes the dog back off.

On top of that, I dont know how many times I've met people in the regional park or farran woods who rush up and go 'have you seen a >insert dog breed here< I took my eyes off him/her for two seconds and s/he disappeared' If you were watching your dog like a responsible owner, s/he wouldn't have gone missing.

Unfortunately, a few idiots mess it up for everyone else.

Advertisement