Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two X-Rays?

Options
  • 05-09-2011 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hey

Just went to Galway clinic to get x-rays of both big-toes. It was from the one referal letter, and it was only one proceduce. It also only took a few minutes. But they charged me for two x-rays???

Is this usual?? Are x-rays charged "per body part" instead of "per proceduce"? I kinda feel like I've been conned!

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

ripcord wrote: »
    Hey

Just went to Galway clinic to get x-rays of both big-toes. It was from the one referal letter, and it was only one proceduce. It also only took a few minutes. But they charged me for two x-rays???

Is this usual?? Are x-rays charged "per body part" instead of "per proceduce"? I kinda feel like I've been conned!

Thanks!

No that would be standard if you had two feet done

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭Malmedicine

ripcord wrote: »
    Hey

Thanks!

But your not just getting the procedure done. Your also getting the images viewed analysed and reported on and I'm pretty sure thats included in the price.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 9 shanieboy01

You were not conned. You went private and had 2 tests done. And you paid for 2 tests. I cant see the problem here.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭kdowling

Could they not have placed both toes together and taken one x-ray of both feet?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

kdowling wrote: »
    Could they not have placed both toes together and taken one x-ray of both feet?

picard-facepalm.jpg

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    picard-facepalm.jpg

I've obviously said something pretty stupid here!
    i know nothing about x-rays but what was wrong with my comment?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

I've obviously said something pretty stupid here!
    i know nothing about x-rays but what was wrong with my comment?!!

Not too sure what you said wrong. Both feet could be in one x-ray. Indeed my reading of the original post in this thread is that is what happened
    "and it was only one procedure"

my understanding from the op was that they took two seperate x rays one of each toe and that is why he was charged twice.
    I summised that it would be possible to take one x-ray with both toes!

why the dismay robfowl?
    am i missing something obvious?!

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭drzhivago

my understanding from the op was that they took two seperate x rays one of each toe and that is why he was charged twice.
    I summised that it would be possible to take one x-ray with both toes!

why the dismay robfowl?
    am i missing something obvious?!

to look for fractures on xray the accepted standard is to xray an individual bone in two planes at 90 degrees to one another

To make this example easier lets consider the hand

You xray the hand flat on the device and then turn hand on its side so that you get the 90 degree picture

This will show up subtle fractures not seen in one plane

With hands BOTH could be flat on same xray plate and both could be at 90degrees on another xray plate

Altogether a different concept to get both feet at 90 degrees on the same xray plate unless a gymnast

drzhivago wrote: »
    to look for fractures on xray the accepted standard is to xray an individual bone in two planes at 90 degrees to one another

To make this example easier lets consider the hand

You xray the hand flat on the device and then turn hand on its side so that you get the 90 degree picture

This will show up subtle fractures not seen in one plane

With hands BOTH could be flat on same xray plate and both could be at 90degrees on another xray plate

Altogether a different concept to get both feet at 90 degrees on the same xray plate unless a gymnast

Ahh, thanks doc!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

drzhivago wrote: »

Maybe the OP would clarify exactly what was done and how many x-rays were performed. I would have thought it unlikely they were looking for bilateral fractures. I was thinking more gout.

Advertisement