Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone got a good cheese sauce recipe?

Options
  • 05-09-2011 5:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭

Something for broccoli/cauliflower etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

easiest is just a basic white sauce and add cheese of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Shosh

mike65 wrote: »
    Something for broccoli/cauliflower etc.

Melt 2 tbs of butter in saucepan.
    Add 2 tbs of butter, stir until mixed
    Add 1cup(240ml) of milk stir until smooth
    Add 110g cheese and stir on heat till melted.

I use that sauce for mac and cheese its delicious!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Mary-Ellen

Shosh wrote: »
    Melt 2 tbs of butter in saucepan.
    Add 2 tbs of butter, stir until mixed
    Add 1cup(240ml) of milk stir until smooth
    Add 110g cheese and stir on heat till melted.

I use that sauce for mac and cheese its delicious!

I'm guessing the second butter above should be flour.
    If it is, it's pretty much what I'd do with less exact measurements :o

• Registered Users Posts: 21,470 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Mary-Ellen wrote: »
    If it is, it's pretty much what I'd do with less exact measurements :o
    Yeah, I guess it'd work equally well with 100g of cheese, or 250ml of milk :)

Seriously though, for white sauce I use roughly the same volumes (by eye) of flour and butter to make the roux, and then just add enough milk to make the consistency of sauce I need, I've no idea of how much that is in ml. Remember though, that if you add too little you can always add a bit more, but you can't take it out!

Ditto for the cheese, add as much as you want to create the required "cheesiness" ... that universal quantity known as a "handful" is usually not too far off the right amount.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

You can just use cream too if you didn't want to make a roux. You can use a very small volume to dissolve a lot of cheese, so it makes for an intense sauce.

I usually use enough cream to cover the bottom of a small pan to a depth of roughly a centimetre. I use about 1/3 to 1/2 of a small carton of cream. I heat the cream to quite hot but not boiling (I'm guessing about 70 to 80°) then dump in ~100g of grated cheese and whisk quickly.

You'd be amazed at how much cheese you can 'dissolve' in so little cream. I use Dubliner cheese as that's quite intense as a sauce. (I like intensity).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Cheers everyone.

Advertisement