Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Citi

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Forever Hopeful

ac10 wrote: »
    any views on anyone currently working with them ?
    My friend has just landed job with them got really good salary, and was told weekend work was rotated etc and hes getting really good job perks, was thinking sending in my own cv but having read this thread Id be a bit unsure ?:cool:

Hey there,
    Interesting, I just started to look up feedback on working with this company... I am there a bit now and I have to say I HATE it. I have been reaching out to agencies and although I am not being unprofessional about my reasons for leaving but the consistent feedback is that I am not alone.
    It is all over the place. Its reactive, meetings after meetings about nothing. Last minute meetings just as you are about to leave for the day. This after working 10-12 hours. No such thing as a work life balance. (Although I am not sure if that exists at all). You never know if you are doing a good job but you definitely hear it if you are doing a bad job.
    I definitely have learned a lesson from this. People, you are so right to ask for feedback here online but ask your recruiters, ask in the interview, ask, ask, ask questions!
    wish me luck all finding my perfect job :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 haroldwne

Hey there,
    Interesting, I just started to look up feedback on working with this company... I am there a bit now and I have to say I HATE it. I have been reaching out to agencies and although I am not being unprofessional about my reasons for leaving but the consistent feedback is that I am not alone.
    It is all over the place. Its reactive, meetings after meetings about nothing. Last minute meetings just as you are about to leave for the day. This after working 10-12 hours. No such thing as a work life balance. (Although I am not sure if that exists at all). You never know if you are doing a good job but you definitely hear it if you are doing a bad job.
    I definitely have learned a lesson from this. People, you are so right to ask for feedback here online but ask your recruiters, ask in the interview, ask, ask, ask questions!
    wish me luck all finding my perfect job :)

That sounds pretty shocking. Are you at liberty to share what sort of department you are in? Is it IT / Customer Services / Finance ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭jclally

I applied for a job there recently; it looked like a management position which I was looking for. I got called for interview almost immediately. Just before it I asked a friend who works there to take a look at the spec to see if he knew the team. He took one look and told me it wasnt far off an entry level position; he could see where I was getting the management part from the spec they provided but checked internally and confirmed it was what he thought.
    I called the HR person the next day and asked whether the job required the one years experience my friend said or the experience I had in my cv, and that the salary I told them I wanted would justify. She couldnt tell me, said she would find out but never came back to me. I just cancelled the interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

American companies have their own little quirks but Citi takes it to a new level

Team huddles every morning, actually they can be useful

An appraisal process which is so long winded you will think you are writing a novel

VP, AVP, if you don't have a title you are a nobody

Lunchbreak? lol, what's that??
    You work through it not because management will appreciate it because they won't ever mention it.
    You do it as your teammates do it also and you don't want to let them down

Management in general are sound but very stressed.

Most staff are nice too but you get the odd asshole who you send a simple request and you'll hear them bitching about you. I can hear you, you are only a few desks away! :mad:
    In the time you spent complaining you could have answered the email 10 times over.

"That's not my job" is a common attitude, big company I suppose.
    I wouldn't say it's a place that people jump in and work together.
    There is a procedure for everything and if you can dodge a task then that's what you do.

Procedures for everything and yes, there are arrows on the stairs ;)

There is training but often on stupid things like handling phone calls :rolleyes:

Townhall meetings, a waste of time and an ego trip for the senior management

Piss away money on stupid clubs and organizations which are little more then hobbies for senior HR staff.
    Yet no money for overtime or bonuses or pay rises.

Around 10 or so emails every day with company updates " From the office of" some senior manager with fantastic news of how Citi are doing. Click, delete

If you enjoy the corporate culture and just loooove abreivating everything into a code and a KPI and saying yes to everything you will love it.

If you dislike bitchy offices or you want to take control of issues and make a difference, Citi is not the place for you.
    Follow the procedure and shut up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Sounds like my worst nightmare!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭mtjm

mikemac1 wrote: »
    American companies have their own little quirks but Citi takes it to a new level

Team huddles every morning, actually they can be useful

An appraisal process which is so long winded you will think you are writing a novel

VP, AVP, if you don't have a title you are a nobody

Lunchbreak? lol, what's that??
    You work through it not because management will appreciate it because they won't ever mention it.
    You do it as your teammates do it also and you don't want to let them down

Management in general are sound but very stressed.

Most staff are nice too but you get the odd asshole who you send a simple request and you'll hear them bitching about you. I can hear you, you are only a few desks away! :mad:
    In the time you spent complaining you could have answered the email 10 times over.

"That's not my job" is a common attitude, big company I suppose.
    I wouldn't say it's a place that people jump in and work together.
    There is a procedure for everything and if you can dodge a task then that's what you do.

Procedures for everything and yes, there are arrows on the stairs ;)

There is training but often on stupid things like handling phone calls :rolleyes:

Townhall meetings, a waste of time and an ego trip for the senior management

Piss away money on stupid clubs and organizations which are little more then hobbies for senior HR staff.
    Yet no money for overtime or bonuses or pay rises.

Around 10 or so emails every day with company updates " From the office of" some senior manager with fantastic news of how Citi are doing. Click, delete

If you enjoy the corporate culture and just loooove abreivating everything into a code and a KPI and saying yes to everything you will love it.

If you dislike bitchy offices or you want to take control of issues and make a difference, Citi is not the place for you.
    Follow the procedure and shut up

u must work in HR or something lol, people are intitled to their thoughts if they like it they like it if they don't they don't. sure it's sh1tty bank after all

• Registered Users Posts: 8 micromike

Well as per a previous thread, I worked with Sh*ti 13 years ago. I was fired as I was leaving for another job and the mgr presserised me into trying into say. Eventually I told him to feck off and sent a mail around the same day on what I was going to do the last day. To cut a long story short Sh*ti got onto me about a job 2 months ago (I did not apply). I went through the interview process and was successful with the application. The salary was excellent but after what happened 13 years ago I was not enthusiastic. Also I have got something else in Dublin in the meantime.

Sh*ti kept ringing me to see if I would accept the offer, sent a courier out to give me their "encylopidia" job offer (honestly u shud see it), kept emailing and ringing me on how I was going with the offer. I eventually thought while looking at it last week, that I was not happy just going in there and decided to tell the truth re what happened 13 years ago. Anyway on Friday I got a call saying they were retracting the offer and I entered the building for the interviews under false pretenses.

To be honest I am now delighted after reading this and going thru what has happened that I won't be going in there again. Life is too short to work for a crap company like this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭freeze4real

Sorry for dragging this up.

Does anyone still work for citi.

I've an interview soon for a placement analyst with them.

Any ideas what to expect ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Did you read the thread?

After a redundancy 5 of my former work colleagues worked there. That was 2 years ago only 1 of them is still there and he hates the place. The others all hated it too.

These guys were not work shy and always did long hours.

I'd avoid the place like the plague

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Can I ask what area the role you're interviewing for is in? Departments, sections, teams vary across the bank. I wouldn't generalise as there are good and bad areas.

• Advertisement

Yes I read the thread but as a poster said it differs from department.

A mate of mine has an interview for the TA programme.

Department I'm interviewing or is the Global transactions, the operations side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33 JM_2009

Does this all this negativity relate to the Fund Accounting Department? Have an interview there soon but from reading this looks like I should just cancel it ? Any info appreciated

Don't cancel it. Go

Don't cancel it. Go

Do you work there yourself ? Is it as bad as made out I don't think I've ever seen as much negativity about a company ever !

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭pakb1ue

pakb1ue wrote: »
    I see it as a great place to start off my career but can I see myself here in two years time is another story.

Nearly two years since that post and I am still at Citi :o

Though that said today I just accepted another job and I have been looking to get out since January. While the job has been pretty hard going I have learned loads in my 2 and a half years and would not have gotten this new job without it. The salary I have gotten in this new role I couldn't even have imagined 3 years ago when I finished Uni.

I would definitely not cancel it, if I was you I would work my ass off for this interview to try and get it. As a placement student you will not do a whole lot and its a you get out what you put into it type of thing.

Take the example of two placement students who were in my team; one worked his ass off and would do crazy hours even though the rest of us told him to go home. He once came into the office when he had booked into the system that he was off. Then the other lad well to say he was polar opposite is no word of a lie. Come in after 9 and leaves well before 5 then takes about 2 and a half hours of breaks during that. Has taken more then 40 days off his year as well. Even when stuff needs to be done and everyone else would stay behind to get it complete he would be gone by 16:50.

As for the interview its self I cannot speak from the Operations side but know your stuff about the company what they do how much the made this year so far http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23314925 they love hearing how great they are and it shows you are interested in the job enough to look this stuff up.

Have a read of this
    http://www.wikijob.co.uk/wiki/citigroup-application-process-and-interview-questions

They have an process to follow so interviews are all the same.

TL;DR Citi is a great name to have on your CV and I would not pass opportunity to work there as it will open doors for you afterwords.

its a $hit hole..... don't put yourself through the trauma!!!!

I'd rather be drawing the dole than to ever work there and I HATE being on the dole.

Nearly two years since that post and I am still at Citi :o

Though that said today I just accepted another job and I have been looking to get out since January. While the job has been pretty hard going I have learned loads in my 2 and a half years and would not have gotten this new job without it. The salary I have gotten in this new role I couldn't even have imagined 3 years ago when I finished Uni.

I would definitely not cancel it, if I was you I would work my ass off for this interview to try and get it. As a placement student you will not do a whole lot and its a you get out what you put into it type of thing.

Take the example of two placement students who were in my team; one worked his ass off and would do crazy hours even though the rest of us told him to go home. He once came into the office when he had booked into the system that he was off. Then the other lad well to say he was polar opposite is no word of a lie. Come in after 9 and leaves well before 5 then takes about 2 and a half hours of breaks during that. Has taken more then 40 days off his year as well. Even when stuff needs to be done and everyone else would stay behind to get it complete he would be gone by 16:50.

As for the interview its self I cannot speak from the Operations side but know your stuff about the company what they do how much the made this year so far http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23314925 they love hearing how great they are and it shows you are interested in the job enough to look this stuff up.

Have a read of this
    http://www.wikijob.co.uk/wiki/citigroup-application-process-and-interview-questions

They have an process to follow so interviews are all the same.

TL;DR Citi is a great name to have on your CV and I would not pass opportunity to work there as it will open doors for you afterwords.

I already had the interview, I kinda messed up on one section but overall I thought it went well. The interview was very informal relaxed.
    If they called me tomorrow I'd stay when can I start ?

Working at citi is not for everyone. I for one want to work there.

Ah well G.L in the new job.

Can i ask is it long or hedge FA in Citi? Good luck and let us know how you did?

Can i ask is it long or hedge FA in Citi? Good luck and let us know how you did?

For me it's hedge FA. I cancelled because of the posts on here .Do you work there yourself , is it as bad as its made out ?

I don't work directly in FA. I'd be more familiar with the long side of FA. So I can't comment specifically on that area.

It also depends on level you come in at. Feedback varies between depts. Citi is very structured in terms of level but there is huge focus on development in terms of training support in house and career progression. Once you show initiative. You need to look for opportunities outside your own area to promote yourself.

Like other funds admin. There's a lot of jobs going to lower cost centres and fewer people to cover the work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Just wondering if anyone works in IT in Citi now. Offered a long term contract role there. Is it as bad for contractor staff as it is for permies?

COYW wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone works in IT in Citi now. Offered a long term contract role there. Is it as bad for contractor staff as it is for permies?

I found that contractors were treated better than permanent employees. Now that's just what I witnessed not a generalisation. I am out of the place 6 months now (thank GOD) and not to sound like a complete gimp but I was very experienced and senior in previous roles but I found the place absolutely horrendous. The only good thing that the place taught me was to be grateful for the fabulous job I have now. Its impersonal, aggressive and the fact that you are a contractor means your weekends aren't fcuked up because they won't pay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 135 ✭✭Nelly1234

Hello, I have an interview next Friday at Citi. I thought it would be a fantastic place to work but given the above I am kinda nervous now

Saying that I am in no position to turn it down if I got it.

I was wondering could anyone help with the questions that could be asked? I heard they are competency based, there was a link a poster gave above ( with about 25 questions) they can't possibly ask all these?

Also does anyone know aswel is it just an interview ( then possible offer?) or is there second round interviews/ assessment centres afterwards?

Thanks in advance guys:) #worried

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Nelly1234 wrote: »
    Hello, I have an interview next Friday at Citi. I thought it would be a fantastic place to work but given the above I am kinda nervous now

I was wondering could anyone help with the questions that could be asked? I heard they are competency based, there was a link a poster gave above ( with about 25 questions) they can't possibly ask all these?

Also does anyone know aswel is it just an interview ( then possible offer?) or is there second round interviews/ assessment centres afterwards?

It depends on the department in which you will be going into.

What's your area of interest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aoifeyork

Hi Nelly, can I just ask, is it the graduate program you have an interview for? If so, with which area? I applied for the graduate programme at the start of January and still haven't heard a thing.

Thanks!

aoifeyork wrote: »
    Hi Nelly, can I just ask, is it the graduate program you have an interview for? If so, with which area? I applied for the graduate programme at the start of January and still haven't heard a thing.

Thanks!

Guys I rather not say what area I am working in, and aoife to answer your question I don't know was it the graduate programme I applied for, I got it on irishjobs.ie

Anyone know there starting salaries?:)

Guys I rather not say what area I am working in, and aoife to answer your question I don't know was it the graduate programme I applied for, I got it on irishjobs.ie

Anyone know there starting salaries?:)

How can we tell you the salaries if you wont tell us the area you work in? There is a big difference between Operations and Technology salaries.

If you had read back on the tread you would have seen;
    For an IT graduate the starting wage is €30,000.

How can we tell you the salaries if you wont tell us the area you work in? There is a big difference between Operations and Technology salaries.

If you had read back on the tread you would have seen;

How much for operations salaries?

How much for operations salaries?

I dont know the exact figure but some people have been so kind to put up their salaries on GlassDoor.com

Operations Analyst
    2 Citi Salaries in Dublin (4 in Ireland)
    Range:€23k-€35k
    Avg. Salary: €29,126

So a graduate would be on the lower scale of that.

• Advertisement

I dont know the exact figure but some people have been so kind to put up their salaries on GlassDoor.com

Operations Analyst
    2 Citi Salaries in Dublin (4 in Ireland)
    Range:€23k-€35k
    Avg. Salary: €29,126

So a graduate would be on the lower scale of that.

Thanks!

Advertisement