Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FF Music

Options
  • 05-09-2011 5:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭

Seriously though, how good was the music in FFVII? I've been listening to some of the Black Mages stuff, and it's just awesome. The way the tracks are woven into battles etc and looped (without being noticeable) really enhances the whole experience. The Mako Reactor music is really cool, as is Sephiroth's theme.

I dont remember the music as much from the other FF titles (besides the Temple music from 10, which stuck in my head despite my efforts and Balamb Garden from VIII which was cool).

Any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

Listen to the music from FFXIV.
    It's Nobuo Uematsu again, but since no one actually plays FFXIV, it's like an entire soundtrack to a FF that dosn't exist.

Tragically, FFXIV is doing so badly, that if the PS3 release goes tits up you may actually have the unusual situation of a games soundtrack out selling the game itself.

The only right decision they made about FFXIV is that Uematsu did the soundtrack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

IX has the best music in my opinion.

VIII.
    The Landing.
    The Extreme (wear headphones).
    Fisherman's Horizon.
    Julia.

IX.
    Tragic Love.
    You're Not Alone.
    Unforgettable Sorrow.
    The Dark Messenger.
    Jesters of the Moon.

X.
    To Zanarkand.
    Someday the Dream Will End.
    Seymour's Ambition.

XIV.
    Track 3.
    La Noscea.

It took all I had to be brief, don't get me started on video game music. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

It's Nobuo Uematsu again, but since no one actually plays FFXIV, it's like an entire soundtrack to a FF that dosn't exist.

What a waste. Hopefully he'll do XV.

VIII probably has my favourite soundtrack of the series, with VII a close second. Liberi Fatali sends tingles down my spine!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,186 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

VII's music will always hold a special place in my heart, as it was my introduction to the RPG genre, and to video game music as a whole. Before that i'd noticed it, but i never really noticed it. There are better soundtracks out there though, with VI being one of them. Some amazing tracks on it. I've heard some of it live, and it's fantastic. I mean listen to it...

I'm just pissed that i missed out on tikets to that concert in London in November. Why didn't i buy one when i had the chance! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Def have to give support to FFVIII's Liberi Fatali. The only thing is I thought it sounded alot better with the clash of the gunblades as opposed to the soundtrack version without it.

Its worth seeing one of the concerts for this stuff. I saw video games live last year and there was a guy who played the piano and melded about 15 FF songs together. Was really good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭animaX

I used to have pretty much all of the music of Nobuo Uematsu on my ipod until I ran out of space and removed a lot of it (there is tens of gigs worth).

But I've always found this song to be particularly epic. You can't listen to this and not get fired up! Heck if there was a techno remix of this I would go clubbing to it :pac:

Edit: on a slightly related note, everytime I listen to this I can't picture anything other than final fantasy VII. Not sure what theme it reminds me of, but it has that general FFVII feel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

If you like ff7's music you should listen to Vinyl Fantasy VII. It's a mashup album between FF7 music and various rappers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

I highly recommend the Vocal soundtracks from Nobuo. alot of FF smashup themes produced by him back in 90s are so awesome but rarely known.

megaten wrote: »
    If you like ff7's music you should listen to Vinyl Fantasy VII. It's a mashup album between FF7 music and various rappers.

:D lol. I remember that!
    It's kinda like the Rebecca Black of mashups.

if you can grin and bare it it's hilarious.

:D lol. I remember that!
    It's kinda like the Rebecca Black of mashups.

if you can grin and bare it it's hilarious.

What? That's not nice! Some tracks aren't great but a few are brilliant like the MF DOOM/Barrett's theme mashup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I love the soundtracks in the ps1 era FFs. Hate those Black Mages heavy metal 'remixes' though. Synths and guitars and overlong, elaborate outros don't go well with most of Uematsa's stuff.

megaten wrote: »
    What? That's not nice! Some tracks aren't great but a few are brilliant like the MF DOOM/Barrett's theme mashup.

whoops, thought you were joking!.

I didn't mean to offend.
    IMO Vinyl Fantasy 7 should've aimed the bar higher in the quality department. Too many pieces sound like it's just mates chancing their arm at mash-ups and then when a good track comes along, it's discredited too harshly by prevailing quality issues.

MFdoom for example (just listened to it there) is decent enough rapping and fits the feel of Barret's theme in a pleasing way. I have no aesthetic issues with the "musicianship" so to speak and I might enjoy hearing it live.
    Unfortunately the production of the actual recording is woeful. It's not compressed properly, the mix is clunky and the actual sound quality of the individual sections don't match up. (and this is meant to be one of the better pieces).

If they were having another go, more investment into production would be needed for the comp to be taken seriously by more people.

I wouldn't know a huge a amount about the production side of music so I'll have to assume your right. It's obviously not high quality production but it's not awful for a dude in his spare time.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭aperture_nuig

It has to be IX for me, but I adore all of his soundtracks from VII - X .

Advertisement