Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband self-installation

• 05-09-2011 6:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi there,
    its my first time that I just ordered a UPC 20MB Frbre broadband with self-installation package, no wireless modem (Already have Netgear WGR614).
    I was just wondering what the self-installation process looks like.
    Its the packet that I will be receiving from the courier company will include everything I need for the installation? Is that easy? Also as I have already a Netgear WGR614 router, which is not modem functional, I presume that I will receive also a cable modem from UPC.
    Also, I do not have any TV cable set here in the place where I live. I was wondering where can I get the cable pipe-in from outside to my room.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

scripper wrote: »
    Hi there,
    its my first time that I just ordered a UPC 20MB Frbre broadband with self-installation package, no wireless modem (Already have Netgear WGR614).
    I was just wondering what the self-installation process looks like.
    Its the packet that I will be receiving from the courier company will include everything I need for the installation? Is that easy? Also as I have already a Netgear WGR614 router, which is not modem functional, I presume that I will receive also a cable modem from UPC.
    Also, I do not have any TV cable set here in the place where I live. I was wondering where can I get the cable pipe-in from outside to my room.
    Thanks!

OP, by the sounds of it you do not have a UPC Outlet in your premises. I think that you will require an installer to complete the install which costs typically €40. You would not be able to run a cable from the UPC distribution box into your house as you would be tampering with UPC equipment. Your best bet is to call UPC and explain the problem you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭smackyB

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a similar issue with UPC. Ordered the fibre essential package and equipment arrived today. I have the modem hooked up and all the lights are solid. Problem is that every page is taking me some selfcare site which prompts me to login. Where would I find these login details?

The other issue I have is that I was under the impression that this package carried HD channels but I only got a box that can output via a SCART cable. Should I call them up and ask for a replacement?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 230 ✭✭collier

smackyB wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I have a similar issue with UPC. Ordered the fibre essential package and equipment arrived today. I have the modem hooked up and all the lights are solid. Problem is that every page is taking me some selfcare site which prompts me to login. Where would I find these login details?

The logon details should be in the welcome guide if you got one. Basically you are directed to that page as the modem has not been provisioned on their network. A phone call to 1908 should sort this for you.
    smackyB wrote: »
    The other issue I have is that I was under the impression that this package carried HD channels but I only got a box that can output via a SCART cable. Should I call them up and ask for a replacement?

If you signed up for the HD service a HD box should have been sent again a call to UPC will resolve this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭mossy464

Hi Lads,

Im going upgrading to UPC broadband and I have a cable coming into my house that we used to use for Chorus/Multi Channel back in the day.

Now I know that UPC broadband is available in my area but I want to know if this cable coming in will be enough for broadband.

I want to do the self install and not sure if the cable coming in already will be sufficient.

Any ideas?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

mossy464 wrote: »
    Hi Lads,

Im going upgrading to UPC broadband and I have a cable coming into my house that we used to use for Chorus/Multi Channel back in the day.

Now I know that UPC broadband is available in my area but I want to know if this cable coming in will be enough for broadband.

I want to do the self install and not sure if the cable coming in already will be sufficient.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I think if you don't have either digital TV or Broadband at the moment then an installer will have to come to the house to check out the line quality.

The existing cable should be ok but they will replace the wall box(es) inside the house with new UPC models.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I had 25M with UPC, and when I upgraded to 100M they replaced all the cable. They'll only let you self install if it's going to work. If anything else needs to be done, then don't try and save the very small charge, get it done properly.

Advertisement