Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change "My Phone Number" on sim card

Options
  • 05-09-2011 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

Obtuse question and long story.

I have a Google Nexus One that won't display my own picture in the text messages. After some googling, it seems that this is because the phone doesn't relate my sim card with the number that's sending the text.

This sounds stupid, but when I go to Settings > About Phone > Status, "My phone number" is displayed as "unknown".

I googled again, and it seems that some people can change this by putting the sim card into an old Nokia, Sony Ericsson or an unlocked iPhone. I think these people may all be non-Irish, because the only old phone I posess that even displays "My phone number" is a cheap Canadian phone (and my Nexus One is American), but I can't change it.

I went to Vodafone and asked them if they could put my sim card into something and rectify the problem, but they wouldn't even really listen to me. I know it sounds trivial, but I'm paying them to help and the four guys in the store couldn't even seem to understand my question.

So I'm asking the following:

1) Has anyone else had this problem, and did you find a solution?

2) Is there anyone in the Galway area with a foreign phone/unlocked iPhone that would allow me to put my sim card in and try to change the "own number" setting?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭TeaServer

I'm not sure that 'your number' is stored anywhere in the SMS data to be matched to anything.

To get a picture to show up for your own SMS messages you can

a) Add an image to your Google profile.
    or
    b) Install Handcent and set your profile picture in the settings. Then use Handcent as your SMS app. (Disable the stock SMS notifications to prevent multiple notifications)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I gave my Sony Ericcson 670i away but it still has my number saved. When you press the i button on the side it shows the make, model, status and phone number.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭stonybroke

cant get a picture on my messaging and my number doesn't show up either, just says 'unknown' when l put my wives and my sons sim in their number shows up, must be my sim thats the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

Thanks guys. There isn't really an easy solution, is there? TeaServer, the phone should be set up to do it without extra apps (and my Google profile is a work of art), but it's figuring out how to fix my sim card so it'll work properly.

I love android, but this is really a silly issue. I didn't think to try anyone elses sim card in my phone. Might give that a shot too, just to see what happens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

It worked fine for me until I lost my simcard, then the new simcard didn't have my number assigned to it.

I was told that the service provider can register your number to the simcard, but when I asked, the customer service were as knowledgeable as I expected :rolleyes:
    This link has a small bit of information

But then Cyanogenmod 7 came out and has the function built in, so I have it sorted now with my image showing up.

I know how it feels, such a small feature makes such a huge difference!

So the options are:

1) Old sony ericsson or an iPhone to register the sim number
    2) Figure out a way to get your service provider to do it (I'm 90% sure it can be done if you get someone who understands)
    3) Flash cm7

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭marymc

C-Shore wrote: »
    2) Figure out a way to get your service provider to do it (I'm 90% sure it can be done if you get someone who understands)

That link IS quite enlightening, thanks! I might try customer service one more time before I give up, and see if I can get someone with the wherewithal to fix whatever link between my phone, simcard and Vodafone is screwed up. Most phone people just say "Oh, it's not your simcard. It can't be your simcard." STFU. How did all those other people fix it then, you uncultivated boor?

;)

I still don't know anyone with an iPhone that isn't afraid to let me put my sim into it, and the Sony Ericssons I've tried haven't worked. I'd prefer to go those routes before using Cyanogen, but I'll keep it in mind.

Advertisement