Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

moving to dublin 8

Options
  • 05-09-2011 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Hi, im moving to dublin 8 area now this week and im looking for a bit of information on the area.
    first im lookin for a good library where i can bring my son with me aswell (one year old) l looked online and they said the library in dolphins barn is the nearest but it still looks a good bit away from us, would it be as handy to join one in the city centre?
    and is there any good toddler groups and things like that in the area?
    just any bit of information anyone would like to share, anything at all like would be much appreciated i want to make the most of my time there and get my son involved in a smuch as possible
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

First off where are you moving to in Dublin 8? It's a large area.

There's a Library at the fire station in Dolphins Barn, there's also ones in Kevin St and Inchicore which are all in Dublin 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭bensonx

moving to rialto,
    is inchicore far from rialto?

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭deanswift

don't go near it is my advice, they all drink cider down at fire station, sell their wares on the canal bridge and as for reading they're all blind from pullin their wires

haha oh right, thanks for the advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

bensonx wrote: »
    moving to rialto,
    is inchicore far from rialto?

its about a 15 min wallk - rialto is right beside dolphin's barn...canal bridge / dolphin house does attract a good few junkies but I'm sure the library is grand and the junkies will keep to themselves in my experience....not sure about other libraries in the area - our kids go to the one in walkinstown - bit of a hike from rialto though......brickfield park has a playground but is a bit non descript apart from that.....royal hosital kilmainham is a lovely spot for a wander....not sure about toddler groups in rialto...there was one in mourne road (drimnagh) and one at st michaels parish centre in inchicore as far as i can remember....canal (away from the barn) is nice for a walk and feed the ducks kinda thing.....war memorial park in islandbridge is a really lovely park......ennis butchers in rialto is great if a bit pricey....dunno about pubs in rialto - i think the bird flanagan is okish but would head for town if i were you.

• Advertisement

ciaran_h wrote: »
    its about a 15 min wallk - rialto is right beside dolphin's barn...canal bridge / dolphin house does attract a good few junkies but I'm sure the library is grand and the junkies will keep to themselves in my experience....not sure about other libraries in the area - our kids go to the one in walkinstown - bit of a hike from rialto though......brickfield park has a playground but is a bit non descript apart from that.....royal hosital kilmainham is a lovely spot for a wander....not sure about toddler groups in rialto...there was one in mourne road (drimnagh) and one at st michaels parish centre in inchicore as far as i can remember....canal (away from the barn) is nice for a walk and feed the ducks kinda thing.....war memorial park in islandbridge is a really lovely park......ennis butchers in rialto is great if a bit pricey....dunno about pubs in rialto - i think the bird flanagan is okish but would head for town if i were you.

thanks for the advice, wont be going near too many pubs anyway ha,
    yeah i used to live in Dorset st over on the north side and i honestly dont know a thing about the south side, rialto seems real nice though, i viewed the place and it just off the rialto lus stop, is that area alright?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭ciaran_h

Yeah it'd be grand but like all of the area / city it's gone downhill in the recession. Fatima was a complete ****hole but since it's gone so are a lot - by no means all - of the problems. Id prefer it to likes of Dorset st anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

The best library by far in the area is Ballyfermot Library
    (I'm a library junkie) :D.
    It's much better then the central library in town. It's spacious, has nice seated areas , really good new books and is usually not that busy and has loads of information about what is going on in Dublin!
    Unfortunately it is undergoing rennovations at the moment but is due to re-open in November. It would be 15 mins on the bus from the South Circular Rd/Emmett Rd Junction and may be a bit of a trek for you

i viewed the place and it just off the rialto lus stop, is that area alright?

Herbeton?

ciaran_h wrote: »
    Yeah it'd be grand but like all of the area / city it's gone downhill in the recession. Fatima was a complete ****hole but since it's gone so are a lot - by no means all - of the problems. Id prefer it to likes of Dorset st anyway

yeah ciaran h, i know what you mean, i found dorset street grand but i didnt have a baby at the time

sundew: that sounds lovely, do you know if they do any toddler reading groups or anything like that? i dont mind going out to it if its good like

Gavin "shels": no the name of the place is brookefield, do you know it?? are you from that area?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Library.

Go to Tallaght library on the Luas. The library is at the last stop! New and very well equipped, lots of PCs for adults, for kids, for research. Plus you can get the shopping in as the Square is just across the car park.

Library.

Go to Tallaght library on the Luas. The library is at the last stop! New and very well equipped, lots of PCs for adults, for kids, for research. Plus you can get the shopping in as the Square is just across the car park.

thanks for that, yeah that sounds good, does it take long on the luas do you know?

Gavin "shels": no the name of the place is brookefield, do you know it?? are you from that area?

I know of it, as in I know where it is. I'm from just down the road. Only thing that might turn you off is that James Hospital is 2 seconds up the road and the noise of ambulances could be a pain to you.
    thanks for that, yeah that sounds good, does it take long on the luas do you know?

Takes about 35 mins from Rialto to Tallaght, not sure if it takes longer with the whole new Saggart line but I'm back in college next week so I'll let you know.:D

I know of it, as in I know where it is. I'm from just down the road. Only thing that might turn you off is that James Hospital is 2 seconds up the road and the noise of ambulances could be a pain to you.

Takes about 35 mins from Rialto to Tallaght, not sure if it takes longer with the whole new Saggart line but I'm back in college next week so I'll let you know.:D

oh yeah, i actually noticed how close the hospital was and i didnt even think of the ambulance, oh well im sure ambulance noise will be better than garda sirens, banger fireworks and young ones out the back of the houses which we are well used to all,
    what college you going to?, im out in dun loaghaire myself
    is the best way out there, to get the luas into town and then the 7 bus out then?

oh yeah, i actually noticed how close the hospital was and i didnt even think of the ambulance, oh well im sure ambulance noise will be better than garda sirens, banger fireworks and young ones out the back of the houses which we are well used to all,
    what college you going to?, im out in dun loaghaire myself
    is the best way out there, to get the luas into town and then the 7 bus out then?

I'm in IT Tallaght. Your best bet would be luas into town then bus out to Dun Laoghaire. I'll give you a word of advice, if you are getting the Luas every morning into town between 8 and 9 ish get a Luas Smartcard or Prepaid ticket. The queues do be mental at that time of the morning for the ticket machines.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Andrew H

Another option would be to take the Luas to Connolly Station and then take the Dart to Dun Laoghaire.

Advertisement