Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing smoke for heat detector in Kitchen

Options
  • 05-09-2011 6:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭

During house renovations and rewire the sparks fitted a mains linked smoke detectors. Problem is they fitted a smoke detector in the kitchen too with obvious results. I'd like to replace this one with a heat detector. Can I just pick up one in woodies. Does it have to be the same brand. What if the connectors are different. Do the woodies ones come with a new connector that you fit in place of the one already fitted to the wires coming out of the ceiling. ie, cut the old connector off and insert wires into new connector

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Calibos wrote: »
    During house renovations and rewire the sparks fitted a mains linked smoke detectors. Problem is they fitted a smoke detector in the kitchen too with obvious results. I'd like to replace this one with a heat detector. Can I just pick up one in woodies. Does it have to be the same brand. What if the connectors are different. Do the woodies ones come with a new connector that you fit in place of the one already fitted to the wires coming out of the ceiling. ie, cut the old connector off and insert wires into new connector

Ask your electricain to come back and fix the problem for you??

Woodies are a RIPP OFF.

Go to a leccy wholesalers instead.better and cheaper too.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,437 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Make the electrician do it for free - he didn't do the job right in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

agree
    ask your electrician back
    if not,try get the same brand
    they are mainly interchangeable with push connections ,so no electrical connection required(just insert the backup battery

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

paddy147 wrote: »
    Woodies are a RIPP OFF.

Exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭indie armada

can you post up the brand of smoke that he/she fitted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14 redgapjack

Find out the make off the smoke detector, the bases are usually the same and the smoke/heat heads are clipped into pins.

But the electrician should've known this. There is no difference in the price just a mistake on his behalf.

In the meantime keep an eye on the toast;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

heat is about twice the price in EI brand if memory serves

the electrician is sure to be called back anyhow if they're standard ionization

M cebee wrote: »
    heat is about twice the price in EI brand if memory serves

the electrician is sure to be called back anyhow if they're standard ionization

Just fitted out a house last month and have to fit out a new extension tomorrow

EI Smoke/heat only €4 in the difference Electric Merchants Liffey Valley.

They must be 9volt

Ei mains heat about 40euro

I didn't give a price but they are not €40

They are 230V mains

01 620 2800 Electric Merchants, ask for Dom

• Advertisement

EI 164 heat detectors are about 63.50 inc vat, the ionisation are about 40 euro but the heat are a bit dearer allright.

EI 164 heat detectors are about 63.50 inc vat, the ionisation are about 40 euro but the heat are a bit dearer allright.

Not sure about the codes, the EI 164, are they the ones that communicate between each other and therefore do not require the inter-connecting cable?

ya i misread your post on the mobile

i've always paid a lot more than 4 extra for the ei144

(the ei164 seems to be a model with 10yr lithium battery)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

Sparks was contracted by builder. Prefer to sort this myself so my question still remains. If I can't source the same brand in the heat detector, I assume I can just remove the current base plate mounted to the ceiling, fit the new heat detector and hook up the cables with a connection block. I assume there isn't proprietry data communication between these non commercial alarms just a voltage trigger to set the others off.

BTW, these aren't the type that link back to a control box AFAIK. Unless its buried inside a wall :D The only thing alongside the Electrical Distribution board is the House Burgler Alarm box.

These are the linked smoke alarms that were fitted:

http://www.sgd.ie/index.php?page=product_info&pid=158

I certainly don't recall the Woodies linked Heat Detector being as high as €60!!

rang sgd, the bases for the smoke and heat are the same, have the smoke on the shelf here but no heat. ring around the wholesalers on the northside and if ye have any trouble getting one gimme a pm.

Calibos wrote: »
    Sparks was contracted by builder. Prefer to sort this myself so my question still remains. If I can't source the same brand in the heat detector, I assume I can just remove the current base plate mounted to the ceiling, fit the new heat detector and hook up the cables with a connection block. I assume there isn't proprietry data communication between these non commercial alarms just a voltage trigger to set the others off.

BTW, these aren't the type that link back to a control box AFAIK. Unless its buried inside a wall :D The only thing alongside the Electrical Distribution board is the House Burgler Alarm box.

These are the linked smoke alarms that were fitted:

http://www.sgd.ie/index.php?page=product_info&pid=158

I certainly don't recall the Woodies linked Heat Detector being as high as €60!!

Not sure where the job is but Dominic has that brand in Electric merchants in Fonthill near liffey valley. They are about €12 plus vat

Advertisement