Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

cycle dunshaughlin to city centre

• 05-09-2011 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Does anyone know a cycle route from Dunshaughlin Co Meath to Dublin City centre. Any idea how long this would take

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

26Km of N3, down hill all the way in, and a bit draggy on the way out. It is reasonably safe now that the M3 is open and there are lots of bus lanes along the way.
    Keep left at Bracetown on the way in and at Clonee on the way out to avoid the M3. Be extra careful passing the off and on ramps at Blacnhardstown. Once in Cabra you can choose either Phibsborough or the Quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 audiboy

Hey Victorcarerra,

Thanks for your reply , would you have any idea how long this Journey might take

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

I do Dunboyne to City Center every day its 19km door to door for me. I go on to the N3 at Clonee off again at Blanch shopping center exit, along the road that loops back over the N3 to Blanch village, thought the village towards Castleknock then into the park and out the quays. Downhill all the way in, uphill all the way out. Takes me 39 mins door to door in and about 46 out on a MTB with slicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭teol

audiboy wrote: »
    Hey Victorcarerra,

Thanks for your reply , would you have any idea how long this Journey might take

I'd say 1hr 20min door to door would be easy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Rew wrote: »
    I do Dunboyne to City Center every day its 19km door to door for me. I go on to the N3 at Clonee off again at Blanch shopping center exit, along the road that loops back over the N3 to Blanch village, thought the village towards Castleknock then into the park and out the quays. Downhill all the way in, uphill all the way out. Takes me 39 mins door to door in and about 46 out on a MTB with slicks.

29kph average on a MTB for an urban commute is probably close to the limit of what's possible, even for a reasonably fit cyclist. Stopping at traffic lights knocks a couple of kph off the average.

I do a shorter overlapping route (Clonsilla-Castleknock-Park-Quays-Baggot St) and I can't get the average above 30kph even with light traffic and using a road bike. And I would overtake about 20x more cyclists than overtake me. Being fitter wouldn't help much as I'm rarely going flat out due to traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Lumen wrote: »
    29kph average on a MTB for an urban commute is probably close to the limit of what's possible, even for a reasonably fit cyclist. Stopping at traffic lights knocks a couple of kph off the average.

I do a shorter overlapping route (Clonsilla-Castleknock-Park-Quays-Baggot St) and I can't get the average above 30kph even with light traffic and using a road bike. And I would overtake about 20x more cyclists than overtake me. Being fitter wouldn't help much as I'm rarely going flat out due to traffic.
    Yeah I get up to 43-45kph in sections but on average I do 27-29kph but you can see all the lights and it drops to 16-20kph. I lose most time coming over the Liffey on to Parliament St and then up Dame St, thats generally very slow. Its great though. My commute on a bus was unpredictable and door to door was at least an hour and anywhere up to 1.5 hours. the bike is very consistent to within 5 mins and has improved my fitness and stamina no end. Going to get a road bike in the new year id say.

We must cross over from time to time, you would spot me as I've a full hardtail with road tiers so looks a bit strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,168 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Rew wrote: »
    We must cross over from time to time, you would spot me as I've a full hardtail with road tiers so looks a bit strange.

I'll keep an eye out. I'm running a black road bike with disc brakes. I'm not sure who wins the stupid bike competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

audiboy wrote: »
    Hey Victorcarerra,

A fit cyclist on a decent racing bike can average 30Kph inbound on the N3 part, the rest depends on the run of the traffic lights and wind direction (+/-5Km/h).
    The tog out and in routine and shower are more significant time wise.
    I regularly do Dunshaughlin to Heuston Station through the Phoenix park in 50/55mins but I have been at it a while and I stop at red lights:cool: If you are commuting allow yourself 1hr 15min on your first attempt and work back from there as you get used to the routine and fitness improves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

i regularly cycle from Summerhill in Meath to Ringsend in D4, 30km/h is a good average (+or- 2km/h for wind) The trip home is mostly uphill and the lights seem less favourable so 28km/h is common but again +or- 2 for wind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

My normal run in is around 17km of relatively traffic/traffic-light free road followed by 5km of city traffic. Generally I find I average 28kph on the first section and around 21kph for the second. These are rolling times. In reality the 2nd section is probably a bit slower due wait time at lights etc. In the more congested section I have not noticed any material difference in speed between my road bike and a frankenstein bike equipped with front shock and 1.95inch knobblies. On the open road I'd be happy with around 25-26kph on the frankenbike. I'd consider myself reasonably fit but obviously not that fast.

Anyway the difference in time between averaging say 24kph (handy enough but moving) and 30kph (dying and in need of a lie down afterwards) for say 20km is only 8 minutes. There's also a lot to be said for not being tied to bus timetable and the relative consistency of travel time.

As already noted above you may already need to allow some time for showers etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 audiboy

Thanks for all the info , hope to be up and cycling by next wk all going well , going to take it alternate days until i build up the fitness.

Advertisement