Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AH and its constant Women Bashing

Options
1235»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

while i that there is a feck of load wimmen bashing in AH - who really cares, seriously, its the internet.

If you are going to get upset by it - just stop reading, it really is a case of self control

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

Have to say as a female I couldn't give a flying what view people (male or female) have on AH and whether they seriously hold these views as truth.

For me it is AH and is for taking the pi$$...., (having a laugh!!, non-serious)

It has taken me a while to really get this but I don't take too much to heart in there anymore:)

I'll have a laugh with some posters in there but if I sense they are really serious and flouting an opposite view to my own well then I'll back off and let them have their ridiculous view (be it misogynist, racist,whatever)

To me they are a moron on the internet who really doesn't deserve my time or energy:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Have to say as a female I couldn't give a flying what view people (male or female) have on AH and whether they seriously hold these views as truth.

It has taken me a while to really get this but I don't take too much to heart in there anymore:)

I'll have a laugh with some posters in there but if I sense they are really serious and flouting an opposite view to my own well then I'll back off and let them have their ridiculous view (be it misogynist, racist,whatever)

To me they are a moron on the internet who really doesn't deserve my time or energy:)

Unfortunately there is a hard core of posters who for their own reasons,and some are x mods, who don't seem to get the ethos of AH.

We all know them, buttoned -up punters ,dry as a witches tit, less juice in them than a 6 month Satsuma.

Let's not let those crusty gimps run the forum, let's say, as I am saying, if to want to crank your dry boring views on the rest of the posters, go somewhere else pal.

The Smug lads, the NewYork living gimps need to be told that their views are not what goes here.

I like it loose and saggy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

It has taken me a while to really get this but I don't take too much to heart in there anymore
    I'm still fairly new to boards, tone doesn't come across well in text and (as I said) I don't know any of the posters personally, so maybe I took the comments as serious when really they were just meant jokingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Unfortunately there is a hard core of posters who for their own reasons,and some are x mods, who don't seem to get the ethos of AH.

We all know them, buttoned -up punters ,dry as a witches tit, less juice in them than a 6 month Satsuma.

Let's not let those crusty gimps run the forum, let's say, as I am saying, if to want to crank your dry boring views on the rest of the posters, go somewhere else pal.

The Smug lads, the NewYork living gimps need to be told that their views are not what goes here.

I like it loose and saggy.

Given the amount of bans and infractions you've received in AH and the fact that you're not too far away from a permaban in the forum I think it might be a case that you don't understand the ethos of the forum yourself.

Additionally your thinly veiled attacks on "smug" lad and "NewYork living gimps" doesn't exactly cover yourself in glory, in fact it detracts from your entire argument and shows you up for the sort of poster that you really are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

TheZohan wrote: »
    Given the amount of bans and infractions you've received in AH and the fact that you're not too far away from a permaban in the forum I think it might be a case that you don't understand the ethos of the forum yourself.
    Eight bans and nine infractions, as a matter of fact. John Q. Moderator's not happy with that, pal. Comprende? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Haven't read through the thread, but there's a discussion ongoing in AH atm about some model that refused to appear naked for a TV show and some amount of vitriol being spewed about her because of it, which is baffling to be perfectly honest. Seriously, only in AH could such a nonstory ignite so much hatred in people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Haven't read through the thread, but there's a discussion ongoing in AH atm about some model that refused to appear naked for a TV show and some amount of vitriol being spewed about her because of it, which is baffling to be perfectly honest.

Bewbs are serious stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Bewbs are serious stuff.

They were nearly made the national currency at one stage. Wars have been fought etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

It's mental though. Her name appears a couple of times in the Herald and people start branding her the 'new Katie French', and calling her a media whore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

yer man with the underage daughter posting facebook pics is getting fairly lambasted as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Bertie Ahern getting slated all over the place too... :confused: I bet it's purely because he's from Dublin. The ingrained prejudice against Dubs in AH rears it's ugly head yet again. Sickening. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

You wouldn't want to be on the dole, either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

El Weirdo wrote: »
    You wouldn't want to be on the dole, either.

Actually, unless you're a kitten, you're fairly fucked.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Nodin wrote: »
    Actually, unless you're a kitten, you're fairly fucked.

I fucking hate cats.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Nodin wrote: »
    Actually, unless you're a kitten, you're fairly f[SIZE="2"]uc[/SIZE]ked.

I f[SIZE="2"]u[/SIZE]cking hate cats.
    I demand your modship be revoked!

damn galwegians, all a bunch of cat hating goons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭Dr. Zeus

Just to clarify, this thread was not started with the intention of causing controversy as some posters have suggested and the reason that I have not been on boards for a while was a result some of the hatred and abuse. In my view when you spend a long time on certain forums you become more immune/desentised to certain vitriolic/biased comments. While some of you might see this as progress and a move towards "lightning up" I personally don't. I see it as normalising bigoted views. And yes I do know its the internet! Individual difference does exist on the internet too.

Yes, I have raised this issue in the past and I did not genuinely expect the **** storm that ensued. The issue of misogny is a tricky one and can be met with a very, very defensive attitude from some posters. That said the majority of responses seem quite measured which I guess could be seen as progress and the mods do seem to be taking the issue seriously.

The majority of posters seem to recognise that some element of misogny exists and I imagine that its hard to call sometimes. I am not trying to ruin the party nor am I advocating massive censorship. My point was that there does seem to be a misognistic element posting in AH which if challenged hide behind the banter or joke card and then start shouting because you are ruining their fun. they seem to take over and de-rail threads and sometimes others are understandably reluctant to challenge them which then reinforces the idea that misogny is acceptable/normal.

I did say in the original post that there is a difference between sexism and genuine contempt and hatred for women. I think leehoffman captured it well in her post with some of the comments.

Whether or not you agree with me or believe that misogny is non existant in AH, or whether I have been on boards recently or not I am still entitled to express an opinion even if goes against the grain.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Closing this as it has wandered a good bit off point and I think the AH mods have shown great patience answering questions and a lot of restraint in not reacting as strongly as many would to some perhaps not-as-unbiased-as-it-could-be criticism.

LoLth

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement