Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eduroam network

Options
  • 05-09-2011 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

I'm in the UCD residences right now and I managed to get connected to eduroam after a few attempts :p

But, every few minutes I get this message popping up asking me to put in my password again. It's getting annoying :(

Is there anything I can do to stop this or is it network policy?
    I'm on Mac OS X Lion (7.1) btw.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

._. wrote: »
    I'm in the UCD residences right now and I managed to get connected to eduroam after a few attempts :p

But, every few minutes I get this message popping up asking me to put in my password again. It's getting annoying :(

Is there anything I can do to stop this or is it network policy?
    I'm on Mac OS X Lion (7.1) btw.

It's not network policy. Are you don't just keep getting disconnected and it keeps prompting you on reconnect? Signal is probably weak.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭._.

TDOie wrote: »
    It's not network policy. Are you don't just keep getting disconnected and it keeps prompting you on reconnect? Signal is probably weak.

No I have full signal, and it doesn't actually disconnect me, it just asks for the password in a pop-up and will disconnect me if I don't type it in within a minute or something. Weirdest thing ever :\

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭CG328

That network is the one for staff only so that may explain why the password is necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Didn't have that problem with Snow Leopard last year but it took me ages to get it to work correctly. Apple messed up the network system in iOS and MacOS last year, and its always been a bit iffy in UCD since.

CG328 wrote: »
    That network is the one for staff only so that may explain why the password is necessary

um, no I don't think so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Emzer92

What's the deal with it so? I'm here too usinng a PC (with Windows 7).

How do you even connect to it? (ye can tell I'm a fresher!)

I'd much prefer to connect to the secure "eduroam" than this non-secure "WaveLAN" craic!!

Emzer92 wrote: »
    What's the deal with it so? I'm here too usinng a PC (with Windows 7).

How do you even connect to it? (ye can tell I'm a fresher!)

I'd much prefer to connect to the secure "eduroam" than this non-secure "WaveLAN" craic!!

http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/itsupport/eduroam/

I might just delete everything and start again with the config

um, no I don't think so
    Just saying what staff told me today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Xhristy

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

CG328 wrote: »
    Just saying what staff told me today

Which staff told you that? It certainly isn't only for staff, it's a bit of a pain to set up at first but once you get it set up, it works fine!

The fact that they put it in student residences indicates that it isn't exclusively for staff :)

• Advertisement

Which staff told you that? It certainly isn't only for staff, it's a bit of a pain to set up at first but once you get it set up, it works fine!

The fact that they put it in student residences indicates that it isn't exclusively for staff :)

Newman staff, I accept that I was misinformed

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Emzer92

That's great, Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭LifesaverNiall

Wish i was staying on campus :(..

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭TDOie

Wish i was staying on campus :(..

They're having their fun now my friend but when exam time comes and their room mate wont shut the f*ck up at 3am. You shall be laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

ironclaw wrote: »
    Didn't have that problem with Snow Leopard last year but it took me ages to get it to work correctly. Apple messed up the network system in iOS and MacOS last year, and its always been a bit iffy in UCD since.

Hoe did you get it to work? Mine still won't work even after the IT guy in health sciences tried to get it going for like an hour and a half. Would be so much handier if I could get it working so I wouldn't need to pay for 3 broadband when I'm in Crumlin anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭Shankly Gates

Yah I'd like to know this too. I think it may be Lion specific though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

There's a profile for Lion at http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/itsupport/eduroam/

Give it a go, should automate most of the process of setting up Eduroam on 10.7

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

There's a profile for Lion at http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/itsupport/eduroam/

Give it a go, should automate most of the process of setting up Eduroam on 10.6

Under Snow Leopard, one day it just worked. Be sure you have a good signal as that was my problem for a while.

Under Lion, its next to unusable. It keeps asking for my username and password every 10 mins or so. So I just stay on WaveLan unless I really have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

woops, meant to say 10.7 in the above post

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

eduroam keeps asking me for my password every 10 mins or so too, on Snow Leopard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭work.inprocess

Yessss! Just upgraded to Lion in the hope it might work and after following the instructions on the website, it worked straight away - unbelievably happy at this moment! I was reading on other websites about people that were having the same kind of problem (with eduroam and other networks) and apparently reinstalling Snow Leopard fixed their airport issues. Mine wouldn't even let me authenticate on 10.6.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Hoku

For anyone having issues with Eduroam under OS X Lion, remove the eduroam profile via System Preferences -> Profiles, and then re-download the new profile from the link given above. The new profile allows you to preset your credentials for the network.

Has been bugging me for the past 4 weeks that every time I connect to Eduroam, it asked for username/password but no more! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

I had all these problems at first as well. . .remember to download the software and follow the installation tips, and from there you should be grand, they might ask for credentials once after that, but never again. "UCD" is the location as far as I remember, nothing more or less. ..

Then again, I'm on a Vaio with Windows7, so it may be different for Mac's. . .even still, this should work. . .

http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/itsupport/eduroam/settingupeduroamonmacos107lion/name,99728,en.html

. . .if not, get onto either tech services, or find a friendly CS student. . .

oops, forgot to update this thread.

I fixed this a while back by just downloading the 802.1X profile again, this time it asked me for all my login credentials and works fine. Idk what went wrong with it the first time, but it looks like other people are having the problem too.

Advertisement