Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

parking at waterford airport

• 05-09-2011 7:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Was looking at the airport website and I see that parking is 8euro a day at the airport. This seems really expensive to me, you can get it for 5 or even less in Dublin. Is there any other option or do you just have to put up with it?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

How far away do you live?

You could chance leaving it in the Tesco Carpark in Ardkeen and getting a taxi out and back.

There is an industrial estate beside the airport, not sure if you could leave it there. €8 is madness, its €5.50 a day in town.

Actually you could leave it on the quay for 5.50 no matter how long its there but you'd have to get taxis in and out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    How far away do you live?

You could chance leaving it in the Tesco Carpark in Ardkeen and getting a taxi out and back.

There is an industrial estate beside the airport, not sure if you could leave it there. €8 is madness, its €5.50 a day in town.

Actually you could leave it on the quay for 5.50 no matter how long its there but you'd have to get taxis in and out.

How long will you be leaving it there for ? I wouldn't fancy leaving my car in Tesco car park for a few days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

The business park closes at roughly 7 at night and opens about 8 in the morning, unless you rent/own a unit there, in which case you have 24 hr access.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

ali22 wrote: »
    Was looking at the airport website and I see that parking is 8euro a day at the airport. This seems really expensive to me, you can get it for 5 or even less in Dublin. Is there any other option or do you just have to put up with it?

Waterford/South East Airport get very little money off the government compared to every other airport in the country. The car-park is rarely near full as a lot of people can get a lift out and back when flying. The carpark is about a 30 second walk to the airport unlike Dublin or others. A quick look at Dublin airport from 12 today for 24 hours is

- short term €30
    - long term red €7.50 transfer required
    - Long term blue €6.50 transfer required

Galway airport
    €10 or 12.50 per day depending on car-park

Compared with Dublin and the only other city based regional airport (Galway), Waterford/South East airport is reasonable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭kkdela6

Couple of months ago i was picking up a friend from the airport, my mate was driving and bought a ticket for the carpark, cant remember how much it cost.
    anyway we were sitting in the car waiting for his flight to land when some lad drove over the grass and into the carpark, hopped out of his car not a bother on him.
    later on after we paid for our ticket the same lad went out to his car after picking up some youngone off the same flight, and drove over the grass again and went off on his merry way. nobody so much as batted an eye lid

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

I've seen quite a few people do that to avoid paying the charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

kkdela6 wrote: »
    Couple of months ago i was picking up a friend from the airport, my mate was driving and bought a ticket for the carpark, cant remember how much it cost.
    anyway we were sitting in the car waiting for his flight to land when some lad drove over the grass and into the carpark, hopped out of his car not a bother on him.
    later on after we paid for our ticket the same lad went out to his car after picking up some youngone off the same flight, and drove over the grass again and went off on his merry way. nobody so much as batted an eye lid

This really annoys me. First of all if you're picking up someone you don't even need to go into the car park. Just wait outside for them to come to you and drive off. Secondly paying the car park charges is a small price to pay for having an extremely useful airport on your doorstep.

Now that I live in the UK it's really handy to be able to fly into Waterford airport. Yes the flights can be expensive but if I need to get home quickly I know I can. If the airport wasn't there it would mean a flight to Cork or Dublin, then either getting public transport, renting a car or relying on a someone to collect me to get home. A lot of hassle and probably nearly as expensive when everything is added up.

Also when I was still living in Waterford and my girlfriend was in London I was delighted to be able to drive 10 mins to the airport, leave the car for the weekend and then pick it up and drive 10 mins home when I got back. €24 for the weekend is a pittance compared to the fuel costs getting to and from Dublin, paying the toll and having the extra 3 hours driving time round-trip.

If the charge for parking was double what it is I'd probably still pay it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Getting a taxi out would cost you more.
    Getting Kavanagh's bus to dublin would got you 28 quid (i think) and cost you nearly 4 hours each way.
    Waterford ain't that bad.

God no, the bus to dublin is only 16 or 18 quid or something like that. (to the city centre anyway, maybe a bit more to the airport). 10% discount if you book online too.

The particular friend i was picking up that day used to fly in to waterford but now flys in to dublin as he says flying to waterford is actually substantially more expensive. he told me how much but i cant quite remember. the only benefit of flying into waterford was the handiness of it all. shame really because waterford airport is lovely. I'd find it a huge novelty to be using an airport only 6km from my house too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

18 euro for single,tis 26 for day return 29 for return otherwise with jj kavanagh to airport

• Advertisement

anplaya wrote: »
    18 euro for single,tis 26 for day return 29 for return otherwise with jj kavanagh to airport

goway really? i gets a student return ticket for 14 squids! we're all students as far as bus eireann is concerned...

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ali22

Some fair points there but the reality is flights in and out of Waterford are substantially more expensive and when you add the parking onto it, it makes it hard to justify flying from there when it would cost a lot less from Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

ali22 wrote: »
    Some fair points there but the reality is flights in and out of Waterford are substantially more expensive and when you add the parking onto it, it makes it hard to justify flying from there when it would cost a lot less from Dublin.

There has to be someone who'd be willing to drop you out and pick you up. If you're going for any length at all, a taxi could work out cheaper if you're not that far away.

If it's only a short trip, I think you'd be as well off paying it. I think Dublin Airport's parking is 8 euro a day if you don't book it more than two weeks in advance and you have to get a shuttle from the car park too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Dum_Dum

Surely a rural airport should be able to compete on parking charges? Would people travel from all over to avail of cheap parking?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Whats a rural airport? Arent they all by their nature away from urban areas. As pointed out, Waterford Airport is competitive. Its a fatastic service, yet people are complaining about normal parking rates. It would probably cost you more to leave your car in City square for 5 hours.

Dublin
    - short term €30
    - long term red €7.50 transfer required
    - Long term blue €6.50 transfer required

Galway airport
    €10 or 12.50 per day depending on car-park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

€8 per day is expensive - €56 for a week's parking.

If the airport is trying to generate business then surely they should have parking as reasonable as possible. There are no costs associated with parking as that carpark has been there since day one!

I know they allow the frist 15 mins free which is great for collecting somebody and you can always park on the outside and run in!

But if you are going to use the airport and want to leave your car there then there should be an incentive! Perhaps €5 per day or max €20 per week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

scout353 wrote: »
    €8 per day is expensive - €56 for a week's parking.

If the airport is trying to generate business then surely they should have parking as reasonable as possible. There are no costs associated with parking as that carpark has been there since day one!

I know they allow the frist 15 mins free which is great for collecting somebody and you can always park on the outside and run in!

But if you are going to use the airport and want to leave your car there then there should be an incentive! Perhaps €5 per day or max €20 per week!

The majority of customers are most likely business people who will only be away for a day or two. They leave the car and pick it up as it's not that expensive for the ease of travelling to your local airport. Anyone who's going for longer is probably from the Waterford area and will probably get a lift or a taxi. So I see no incentive for the airport to reduce the car parking charges.

Also the parking charges are on par with almost every other airport, and quite insignificant compared to the cost of an Aer Arann flight, so dropping the price would have liitle effect on the amount of people choosing to use the car park and little effect on carpark profits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

Car Park is 8 per day . If you stay for a week its 35 per week tell me where you would get cheaper then that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,433 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I think that is expensive. Seen as I parked in Dublin airport for 7 euro for the day, I would definitely expect a small airport like Waterford to be a bit less anyhow. Plus it's well out the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 ali22

There are a number of carparks which offer parking for 5 euro a day at Dublin Airport including the shuttle to the airport which generally takes less than ten minutes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement