Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mcgeady

• 05-09-2011 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭

For all you Spartak Moscow fans out there!I thought i heard on the commentary in the last Ireland match that he hasnt been playing alot for Spartak Moscow is this due to injuries? poor form or what? Thought he was voted in the Russian team of the year last year no?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I'd say he's injured, he was woeful against Slovakia and wasn't running at all, not taking on players.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

That or have you considered, he's just a really sh-ite footballer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

He's a world class dribbler, but his end product is, was and always will be sh1te.

At least Hunt can tackle, pass, cross, chase down, put defenders under pressure, shoot and head the ball. All McGeady can do is dribble, which isnt worth a crap if you can't CROSS THE F*CKING THING!

McGeady starting has me really depressed. I like Trap, but he has a serious blindside when it comes to McGeady.

I expect the Irish team to give the ball to McGeady for 60 or 70 minutes and he runs into a blind alley, gets dispossed, gives a rubbish cross or shoots wide. By the time Hunt is brought on, it will be too late, we'll probably be two down at that stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭tim_holsters

McGeady flatters to deceive far to often. A good player but not near approaching a great one yet.

If he'd never played for Celtic certain people may have had a more realistic assessment of his talents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,559 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

he had an ankle injury in June and hasnt played for them since.it was madness starting him on Friday night.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

He has been out for the last 3 months with an ankle ligament injury, I think the game on. Friday was his first game since the injury.

His performance on Friday was awful, at times in the 2nd half he didn't look bothered but I think he can be an important player for Ireland. It doesn't help that the central midfield players make no effort to give the wide players an out ball. Duff on the other wing has a better attitude and workrate but is also caught on the ball due to lack of support from the central 2.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

RoryMac wrote: »
    He has been out for the last 3 months with an ankle ligament injury, I think the game on. Friday was his first game since the injury.

His performance on Friday was awful, at times in the 2nd half he didn't look bothered but I think he can be an important player for Ireland. It doesn't help that the central midfield players make no effort to give the wide players an out ball. Duff on the other wing has a better attitude and workrate but is also caught on the ball due to lack of support from the central 2.

While I agree that the wingers need support McGeady consistently does the wrong thing on the ball, be he coming back from injury or daisy fresh. Gives feck all cover to his FB and at times just wanders into the middle of the pitch aimlessly. I've not had such a distaste for a player trying to play for Ireland ever before.

RoryMac wrote: »

How can he be an important player?

He doesn't link up with anyone, no-one. He receives the ball and 9 times out of 10 does nothing in the end with it except lose it.

He's just frustrating to watch from a supporters point of view.

The role of a winger/midfielder, is to take the ball from either a defender or another midfield and either give a good pass/cross to a forward or a midfielder in a better position or else shoot on target.

Clearly McGeady has never learned of this crucial aspect to his position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

You can't blame his attitude IMO.

He hasn't played at all in months, the 'not looking bothered' thing is actually 'too fu*ked to run'.

Jury's out on him for me.

Thought he's always been skillful but limited in his impact. Haven't seen any of the Russian games though so hopefully the talk of a good improvement will turn out to be correct.

lordgoat wrote: »
    While I agree that the wingers need support McGeady consistently does the wrong thing on the ball, be he coming back from injury or daisy fresh. Gives feck all cover to his FB and at times just wanders into the middle of the pitch aimlessly. I've not had such a distaste for a player trying to play for Ireland ever before.

Apart from the last line i don't really disagree, his decision making is poor and not great at tracking back although he did get back a couple of times to get blocks in during the 1st half on Friday
    plasmaguy wrote: »
    How can he be an important player?

He doesn't link up with anyone, no-one. He receives the ball and 9 times out of 10 does nothing in the end with it except lose it.

He's just frustrating to watch from a supporters point of view.

The role of a winger/midfielder, is to take the ball from either a defender or another midfield and either give a good pass/cross to a forward or a midfielder in a better position or else shoot on target.

Clearly McGeady has never learned of this crucial aspect to his position.

I think in games like i expect tomorrow to be where we are under pressure and defending in numbers McGeady can be used well to start counter attacks, opposition teams do fear him if he is given space, in just about every game we play the opponents are quick to double up on him when he gets the ball. If we can get the ball to him fast and get him running at players i think he can cause teams problems. But again i do agree his decision making is poor.
    gosplan wrote: »
    You can't blame his attitude IMO.

He hasn't played at all in months, the 'not looking bothered' thing is actually 'too fu*ked to run'.

Jury's out on him for me.

Thought he's always been skillful but limited in his impact. Haven't seen any of the Russian games though so hopefully the talk of a good improvement will turn out to be correct.

Fitness was definitely an issue on Friday but there was a spell around 70 mins where i think if he had pockets on his shorts his hands would've been in them, not sure why he was left on so long.

So for me he has his good and bad points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 729 ✭✭✭scruff321

Mcgeady gets such unfair criticism imo. I went to all the home qualifying games in the campaign bar the last one and have always thought he has played well or atleast has tried to do the right thing. If he is coming back from injury then he shouldnt have played as long as he did.

He is one of the only players we have who can go around a player, i would agree sometimes his end product can be crap, but having the skills he has is pure talent, his end product can be worked on, id have a fit Aidan Mcgeady in my startin Irish eleven every game.

I know it's unfair to focus on just one player, however, I think we are far more likely to score when McGeady isn't in the team than when he is, largely because we are more direct when he isn't and the forwards get better service.

So our best away games in recent years have been Italy in Belgium, Italy in Bari, and France in Paris, as well as Slovakia away.

Did McGeady play in any of those games or start them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

At least Hunt can tackle, pass, cross, chase down, put defenders under pressure, shoot and head the ball. All McGeady can do is dribble, which isnt worth a crap if you can't CROSS THE F*CKING THING!

To be fair, if he just used his twinkle toes act to draw free kicks and penalties rather than wasting everyone's time by putting in a woeful cross, he'd be of much more use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

his productivity is shocking, he just does not know when to pass the ball, he always seems to take a touch too many, the wrong option or just give it away.

perhaps the most frustrating player ive ever seen on a team i supported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

McGeady answers his critics on boards.ie

Journalist "Why didn't you speak Russian before?"

McGeady " You asked me in English"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Spent too much time working on this fancy footwork and not enough on kicking the football.

Kicks the ball like Emile Heskey. Bad technique.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭KevLeppard

The guy is just absolute Rubbish, highly over rated! Defo a big fish in a small pond. Always wants to dribble past everyone buts ends up giving the ball away. He might get away with it playing in the Russian league but gets found out at International Level. He needs to learn to pass the ball! Very frustrating watching him play for Ireland. Would pick Hunt r Liam Lawrence over him anyday.

KevLeppard wrote: »
    The guy is just absolute Rubbish, highly over rated! Defo a big fish in a small pond. Always wants to dribble past everyone buts ends up giving the ball away. He might get away with it playing in the Russian league but gets found out at International Level. He needs to learn to pass the ball! Very frustrating watching him play for Ireland. Would pick Hunt r Liam Lawrence over him anyday.

What do you mean by that?

Also, you have to realise the standard of player that's around him. You say he should pass it more but a lot of the time there simply isn't a pass on for him due to the way Ireland play. When he gets the ball wide he's double marked with no one showing for it at times. His only option is to punt it in or hold on to it longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

ColeTrain wrote: »
    What do you mean by that?

Also, you have to realise the standard of player that's around him. You say he should pass it more but a lot of the time there simply isn't a pass on for him due to the way Ireland play. When he gets the ball wide he's double marked with no one showing for it at times. His only option is to punt it in or hold on to it longer.

He has to hold on to it more often than not coz he has to cut back on his right coz he's played on the wrong side of the bloody pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

McGeady is 25, C.Ronaldo is 26.

I remember watching Ronaldo as a young player, 18/19. He could do the old step overs, he could beat the odd player but the lad just couldn't shoot, pass or cross! A very exciting prospect who, as everyone knew, had the potential to go on and become one of the best players of his generation!

The same was the same of McGeady around the same time. And exciting prospect who was similar to Ronaldo. And under the right guidance would be able to learn to pass, shoot and cross and could become a serious serious player.

Except Mcgeady has learned NOTHING! He's 25 now so this "potential" tag does not apply to him anymore! He's a horrible player to watch in an Ireland shirt because you know he's not going to deliver the goods!

mars bar wrote: »
    He has to hold on to it more often than not coz he has to cut back on his right coz he's played on the wrong side of the bloody pitch.

Let me get this right, he's a highly paid professional footballer and he can't cross or pass the ball with his weaker foot? Come on! Even I can pass well with my weaker foot.

As for being on his weaker side, makes no difference, he is exactly the same when he plays on his stronger side, same aimless runs, same poor distrubution, same wasting of valuable possession, same frustration for fans and team-mates.

Is there any other player in the world by the way that has had so many excuses made for him by his admirers?

Damian Duff plays with exactly the same players as McGeady. Doesn't stop him creating chance after chance for Robbie Keane now does it? Like the one in Paris or the one the other night in Dublin, or countless more down through the years.

Because Duff is direct, he can beat his man but he can also cross without beating his man like he did for the Keane header.

We've had enough of the McGeady dribbling, we want to see some good crosses on a plate for Keane or Doyle, otherwise get off the pitch.

As for blaming Andrews or Whelan for the fact McGeady can't or won't cross, that's just silly. Get the ball in the box, and stop making excuses.

Let me get this right, he's a highly paid professional footballer.........

I stopped reading here!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭AnamGlas

He's way too one-footed, constantly trying to get onto his right, playing perfectly into the defenders' plans.

Can't see why he starts ahead of Hunt (at full fitness) to be honest.

Last post for the night and probably before the match tomorrow.

My prediction for our two wingers tomorrow is McGeady will get most of the possession ahead of Duffer. McGeady will do a load of step overs, try to come inside, try to beat a few players, succeed in beating a few players but won't give one decent chance to either Keane or Doyle the whole game, despite having an absolute sh*tload of possession, as per usual.

Duff meanwhile will touch the ball maybe a dozen times the whole game, and at least 3 or 4 of those touches, he will provide Doyle or Keane with some quality ball and chances from which they might score.

It's up to McGeady to prove all his critics wrong once and for all. No more excuses about lay offs, weaker side, bad players around him, double marking, still young and so on. This is the big one and we want a performance and most of all an end product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I seriously wonder did trap even know McGeady hasnt played a match for the past 3 months because of injury, it wouldn't surprise me at all tbh considering the lack of interest he takes in going to see the players in England let alone Russia.

It was absolutely ludicrous to have started with McGeady friday night and even more disgracegul that the manager couldn't realise by half time that he needed to be taken off as he lacked game time and match fitness because of his lay off, terrible management Friday night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Let me get this right, he's a highly paid professional footballer and he can't cross or pass the ball with his weaker foot? Come on! Even I can pass well with my weaker foot.

As for being on his weaker side, makes no difference, he is exactly the same when he plays on his stronger side, same aimless runs, same poor distrubution, same wasting of valuable possession, same frustration for fans and team-mates.

Is there any other player in the world by the way that has had so many excuses made for him by his admirers?

Damian Duff plays with exactly the same players as McGeady. Doesn't stop him creating chance after chance for Robbie Keane now does it? Like the one in Paris or the one the other night in Dublin, or countless more down through the years.

Because Duff is direct, he can beat his man but he can also cross without beating his man like he did for the Keane header.

We've had enough of the McGeady dribbling, we want to see some good crosses on a plate for Keane or Doyle, otherwise get off the pitch.

As for blaming Andrews or Whelan for the fact McGeady can't or won't cross, that's just silly. Get the ball in the box, and stop making excuses.

Fúck sake man, I'm not making excuses. He's ****e and that's what my post is about, he's so one footed that he can only be played on one side of the pitch. But somehow, he is still played on the wrong side of the pitch.

The whole lot just beggars belief.

mars bar wrote: »
    Fúck sake man, I'm not making excuses. He's ****e and that's what my post is about, he's so one footed that he can only be played on one side of the pitch. But somehow, he is still played on the wrong side of the pitch.

The whole lot just beggars belief.

The only side of the pitch he should be running on is past the throw-in line warming up while Stephen Hunt plays on the right-wing.

MrStuffins wrote: »
    McGeady is 25, C.Ronaldo is 26.

I remember watching Ronaldo as a young player, 18/19. He could do the old step overs, he could beat the odd player but the lad just couldn't shoot, pass or cross! A very exciting prospect who, as everyone knew, had the potential to go on and become one of the best players of his generation!

The same was the same of McGeady around the same time. And exciting prospect who was similar to Ronaldo. And under the right guidance would be able to learn to pass, shoot and cross and could become a serious serious player.

Except Mcgeady has learned NOTHING! He's 25 now so this "potential" tag does not apply to him anymore! He's a horrible player to watch in an Ireland shirt because you know he's not going to deliver the goods!

Comparing Cristiano Ronaldo and Aidan McGeady is completely unfair. Its not his fault he hasnt lived up to the hype that the media bestowed on him. He has been one of our better performers this campaign, but of course people seem to forget this.

• Advertisement

You don't measure wingers on how many stepovers they do or how many players they beat. You measure them on how many goal scoring chances they create for others or how many goals they score themselves.

scruff321 wrote: »
    Comparing Cristiano Ronaldo and Aidan McGeady is completely unfair. Its not his fault he hasnt lived up to the hype that the media bestowed on him. He has been one of our better performers this campaign, but of course people seem to forget this.

No I dont think so.

Ronaldo at 18 was very far from a complete player. He wasnt even the best young player at his team. IMO there wasn't too much different between an 18 year old Ronaldo and an 18 year old McGeady!

Ronaldo has grown incredibly has a player, he knew what he needed to do and he did it.

You don't measure wingers on how many stepovers they do or how many players they beat. You measure them on how many goal scoring chances they create for others or how many goals they score themselves.

Mcgeady always creates chances, as for goals compare the players around him, Duff hasnt scored a goal in 8 years or so, Hunt i think has scored none.

Last post for the night and probably before the match tomorrow.

My prediction for our two wingers tomorrow is McGeady will get most of the possession ahead of Duffer. McGeady will do a load of step overs, try to come inside, try to beat a few players, succeed in beating a few players but won't give one decent chance to either Keane or Doyle the whole game, despite having an absolute sh*tload of possession, as per usual.

Duff meanwhile will touch the ball maybe a dozen times the whole game, and at least 3 or 4 of those touches, he will provide Doyle or Keane with some quality ball and chances from which they might score.

It's up to McGeady to prove all his critics wrong once and for all. No more excuses about lay offs, weaker side, bad players around him, double marking, still young and so on. This is the big one and we want a performance and most of all an end product.

So you're just gonna ignore all the above, including his lack of match fitness? What a load of sh*te.

You've painted Duff out to be Messi and McGeady to be Kilbane. Give it a rest.

I can never understand how an Irish fan can be so negatively fixated on one of our best players. Bet if McGeady scores tomorrow you won't even celebrate.

No I dont think so.

Ronaldo at 18 was very far from a complete player. He wasnt even the best young player at his team. IMO there wasn't too much different between an 18 year old Ronaldo and an 18 year old McGeady!

Ronaldo has grown incredibly has a player, he knew what he needed to do and he did it.

Regardless if they were the same at that point, Ronaldo obviously had more natural talent in the first place that only started coming to fruition after a couple of season with United at a higher level then Mcgeady.

Mcgeady always creates chances, as for goals compare the players around him, Duff hasnt scored a goal in 8 years or so, Hunt i think has scored none.

Rubbish! This plainly isnt true!

• Advertisement

So you're just gonna ignore all the above, including his lack of match fitness? What a load of sh*te.

You've painted Duff out to be Messi and McGeady to be Kilbane. Give it a rest.

I can never understand how an Irish fan can be so negatively fixated on one of our best players. Bet if McGeady scores tomorrow you won't even celebrate.

+1

Its like all the stick Robbie Keane Irish supporters are never happy.

Regardless if they were the same at that point, Ronaldo obviously had more natural talent in the first place that only started coming to fruition after a couple of season with United at a higher level then Mcgeady.

Who is to say he had more natural talent? Watching mcGeady now is like watching Ronaldo back then, the unfinished product. Ronaldo couldnt do anything with the ball other than beat players.

The guys at United knew what he needed and guided him. Even physically he went from being a slight skinny player to being a strong muscley player.

McGeady didn't progress in this way. I don't know if this is his or Celtic's fault! But it's a fact!

Rubbish! This plainly isnt true!

Then why is he in the Irish starting 11?

Who is to say he had more natural talent? Watching mcGeady now is like watching Ronaldo back then, the unfinished product. Ronaldo couldnt do anything with the ball other than beat players.

The guys at United knew what he needed and guided him. Even physically he went from being a slight skinny player to being a strong muscley player.

McGeady didn't progress in this way. I don't know if this is his or Celtic's fault! But it's a fact!

Ronaldo is on a different planet to McGeady.

You're basically giving out because he's not one of the best players in the world. That's a new one :D

+1

Its like all the stick Robbie Keane Irish supporters are never happy.

This is not true. The hatred toward Robbie is sillyness. Not one person can deny the fact that Robbie has banged the goals in for Ireland.

The points made here are very valid and are not just throwaway hatred. Just because you don;t agree, doesn't mean it's nonsensical hatred.

The guy DOES NOT produce chances or score goals himself. It's a fact!

• Advertisement

Then why is he in the Irish starting 11?

Exactly!
    Ronaldo is on a different planet to McGeady.

You're basically giving out because he's not one of the best players in the world. That's a new one :D

No that's not what i'm doing at all.

I was using the example of how a player with such a similar skill set at such a young age was able to recognose the holes in his game and learn to fill them. By doing so, he became one of the best players of his generation.

The point i'm making is, when McGeady was 18 he was a raw talent. At 25 he has not progressed.

Total rubbish, look at Mcgeady's frame and look at Ronaldo, Mcgeady wouldnt be capable of growing physically like that. Stop comparing Mcgeady and Ronaldo its just not logical.

I was using the example of how a player with such a similar skill set at such a young age was able to recognose the holes in his game and learn to fill them. By doing so, he became one of the best players of his generation.

The point i'm making is, when McGeady was 18 he was a raw talent. At 25 he has not progressed.

Yes that's what you're doing.

You're saying McGeady failed to become a player like Ronaldo. That's the same thing.

Exactly!

Its not only about recognising holes in your game in order to improve if only it were that simple.

So who would you have instead of Mcgeady?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Its not only about recognising holes in your game in order to improve if only it were that simple.

Stephen fcuking HUNT!!!

Total rubbish, look at Mcgeady's frame and look at Ronaldo, Mcgeady wouldnt be capable of growing physically like that. Stop comparing Mcgeady and Ronaldo its just not logical.

Nope. Because you and I both know the points I have made are valid. The guy has not progressed as a footballer!
    Yes that's what you're doing.

You're saying McGeady failed to become a player like Ronaldo. That's the same thing.

Either you're not reading or you can't get your head around a very simple concept! :rolleyes:

My granny! Because even she would've been better than him on Friday night!

Right Stuffins me aul flower id love to stay and argue all night but this is going nowhere! I think Mcgeady is a good player and you the opposite, lets just hope we win tomorrow! COYB

Either you're not reading or you can't get your head around a very simple concept! :rolleyes:

You're the one who can't get your head around your own concept pal.

Right Stuffins me aul flower id love to stay and argue all night but this is going nowhere! I think Mcgeady is a good player and you the opposite, lets just hope we win tomorrow! COYB

Indeed. We could argue. But you just gotta look at facts.

The guy doesn't create chances! If he scored goals instead that'd be wonderful but he has 1 goal for Ireland in more than 40 caps (and even THAT shot was right at the keeper who f*cked it up).

If he assists 2 goals tomorrow i'll be delighted by the way. And if you can point me in the direction of a load of assists he's had for Ireland i'd be happy to take a look. But he doesn't create enough for me.

You're the one who can't get your head around your own concept pal.

Nope. Not at all. I have clearly and concisely made my point in a number of posts and you are the only one who doesn't understand. I even said:

.. and you still don;t understand. I could draw you a picture if you want but somehow I still dont think you'll get it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

seriously??people really want stephen hunt over mcgeady?? stephen hunt?? he cant pass the ball, hold it or keep any sort of shape, he runs around in circles chasing the ball when players of international standard just pass in triangles around him, and he just chases it, like a headless chicken. the guy cult hero (huntys gona get ya and all that) but lets be serious here for a minute, all he will do in a game is give the ball away and cause stupid free kicks against us. if you just need a disruptive player on the pitch then he is your man, but someone to go to places like russia, where we need to kepp the ball as much as humanly possible, keep our shape as much as possible and not expend engery pointlessly then he is certainly not your man! trap knows this much, thats why he only brings him on for the last 20minutes if we are chasing a game and we need to "give it a lash"!! he would have been seen as one of the best players ever during charltons era, with the ball just flying from keeper to forwards with him just running into the full backs(with him it would have been literally running into the full backs) and trying to knock a few scraps to the other forward players!

sorry if it seems a bit of a rant but it annoys the hell out of me when people think stephen hunt is a player who could fit into this irish team, when the only attacking outlets we have is the wide players, with our midfield getting nose bleeds if they go high into the oppositions half!

• Advertisement
Advertisement