Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mcgeady

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

MrStuffins wrote: »
    Nope. Not at all. I have clearly and concisely made my point in a number of posts and you are the only one who doesn't understand. I even said:
    .. and you still don;t understand. I could draw you a picture if you want but somehow I still dont think you'll get it!

Save your crayons for someone else. You said McGeady was like Ronaldo at 18 but hasn't developed like him. Your whole argument was comparing the two.

McGeady is the best player he can be at 25, he never progressed into a player like Ronaldo but couldn't you say the same about any youngster with some real potential? A very select few make that kind of step up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

flas wrote: »
    seriously??people really want stephen hunt over mcgeady?? stephen hunt?? he cant pass the ball, hold it or keep any sort of shape, he runs around in circles chasing the ball when players of international standard just pass in triangles around him, and he just chases it, like a headless chicken....... all he will do in a game is give the ball away and cause stupid free kicks against us.......

Sorry, are you describing Hunt or McGeady here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

I think people are forgetting that Hunt is also quite a limited player, and struggles to make the same impact starting in a game as opposed to attacking a tired full back with 30/20 minutes left.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Save your crayons for someone else. You said McGeady was like Ronaldo at 18 but hasn't developed like him. Your whole argument was comparing the two.

McGeady is the best player he can be at 25, he never progressed into a player like Ronaldo but couldn't you say the same about any youngster with some real potential? A very select few make that kind of step up.

No. I could string you off names of hundreds of players who progressed between the ages of 18 and 25! It's not hard!

You're supposed to progress between 18 and 25!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭WallyGUFC

Mentioning McGeady and "keeping the ball as much as humanly possible" in the same sentence is ludicrous.

No. I could string you off names of hundreds of players who progressed between the ages of 18 and 25! It's not hard!

You're supposed to progress between 18 and 25!

Obviously McGeady did progress a good deal, just not to the level you mentioned. This is getting pointless now.

Obviously McGeady did progress a good deal, just not to the level you mentioned. This is getting pointless now.

Progressed how exactly? What can he do better now that at the age of 18?

He may be slightly better at pulling birds but that's up for debate as I don't know the clubbing scene in Moscow.;)

Are you suggesting he hasn't improved since the age of 18? Seriously?

• Advertisement

Are you suggesting he hasn't improved since the age of 18? Seriously?

Answering a question with a question, impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Mentioning McGeady and "keeping the ball as much as humanly possible" in the same sentence is ludicrous.

and suggesting that hunt is the better option is absolutely crazy!!
    Sorry, are you describing Hunt or McGeady here?

hardy har har, i knew someone would come along and say that, just read the post, obviously im describing hunt...

Answering a question with a question, impressive!

He's improved all round technically. Looks to shoot a lot more when it's on. He's upped the defensive side of his game, he never used to track back when he broke into the Celtic team. His attitude has also improved and he has built himself up.

Go and look at his career highlights. Won Player of the Year and Young player of the year 2008. Moved to Spartak for 10million in 2010. That's shows you the improvement. He furthered himself. Didn't end up playing for Hibs like Liam Miller or his career hasn't stalled like Shaun Maloney's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Anyone who gives McGeady stick is an idiot who hasn't been watching how good he's been for Spartak over the last year or so. This also coincided with marked improvements in his performances for Ireland (see friendlies and Macedonia games), he's only back from injury and admittedly he looked like Celtic McGeady the other night.

We need Spartak McGeady tomorrow night and we will get him. If we don't, we put Hunt on in the 60th. It's grand.

He's improved all round technically. Looks to shoot a lot more when it's on. He's upped the defensive side of his game, he never used to track back when he broke into the Celtic team. His attitude has also improved and he has built himself up.

Go and look at his career highlights. Won Player of the Year and Young player of the year 2008. Moved to Spartak for 10million in 2010. That's shows you the improvement. He furthered himself. Didn't end up playing for Hibs like Liam Miller or his career hasn't stalled like Shaun Maloney's.

Looks to shoot. But can't shoot!

Upped his defensive side... can't defend!

He moved in a £9.5m deal, pittance today and he could've went for a lot more when younger (if the amounts being talked about were even a little bit true). Premier League teams were after him, even heard Bayern were after him at one point. He ended up playing in the Russian League!

He is not a quality player IMO!

the russian league is not a bad league? why is everyone looking down on it as some sort of substandard league on here?

• Advertisement

the russian league is not a bad league? why is everyone looking down on it as some sort of substandard league on here?

It's nowhere near the EPL.

Better than the SPL though i'll give you that!

It's nowhere near the EPL.

Better than the SPL though i'll give you that!

so what?? is that seriously what you base all football on??

the top russian sides, one of whom mcgeady plays for, have been doing well in european football over the last decade, with zenit and cska winning the europa league/uefa cup within the last 6 years...no epl club has won it since liverpool over 10 years ago...

so what?? is that seriously what you base all football on??

the top russian sides, one of whom mcgeady plays for, have been doing well in european football over the last decade, with zenit and cska winning the europa league/uefa cup within the last 6 years...no epl club has won it since liverpool over 10 years ago...

What's your point?

I said it wasnt as good as the epl and better than the spl.

if you disagree, do so. If not, why are you arguing?

What's your point?

I said it wasnt as good as the epl and better than the spl.

if you disagree, do so. If not, why are you arguing?

my point was its not a bad league, its a good league, and in your earlier posts you were rubbishing mcgeady doing well in it. your exact words were

"Premier League teams were after him, even heard Bayern were after him at one point. He ended up playing in the Russian League!"

as if the russian league is not a good strong league. :confused:

my point was its not a bad league, its a good league, and in your earlier posts you were rubbishing mcgeady doing well in it. your exact words were

"Premier League teams were after him, even heard Bayern were after him at one point. He ended up playing in the Russian League!"

as if the russian league is not a good strong league. :confused:

My point was he had the chance to play in the EPL, a very strong league...... then the opportunity reduced itself to playing in the German league.... then reduced itself further to him now playing in the Russian League.

Hardly the path of a player who was all the while progressing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,540 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

as an aside to the other goings on in this thread...

Would it not be worth having mcgeady in the team for this match on tuesday as he plays in russia, is probably more familiar with the players, environment, team etc than anyone else in the irish squad?
    So possibly his inclusion last friday was more a chance to build up his fitness in anticipation of this match, where hes probably got a very important part to play?

I wouldnt be surprised if trap & tardelli thought they had enough in reserve to beat slovakia with an unfit mcgeady in the team, and had their eye on this game instead.

retalivity wrote: »
    as an aside to the other goings on in this thread...

Would it not be worth having mcgeady in the team for this match on tuesday as he plays in russia, is probably more familiar with the players, environment, team etc than anyone else in the irish squad?
    So possibly his inclusion last friday was more a chance to build up his fitness in anticipation of this match, where hes probably got a very important part to play?

I wouldnt be surprised if trap & tardelli thought they had enough in reserve to beat slovakia with an unfit mcgeady in the team, and had their eye on this game instead.

Then Trap needs to go in that case! If he used one qualifier, a home game which we needed to win, to prepare a player for a future game, a player who in that case knowingly unfit to play, then he is not fit for the job.

He should've had the best and fittest players on the field in each position!

My point was he had the chance to play in the EPL, a very strong league...... then the opportunity reduced itself to playing in the German league.... then reduced itself further to him now playing in the Russian League.

the fact that you are saying that the oppertunities open to him were reduced to him playing for bayern munich says it all really, one of the top 10 biggest clubs in the world, in the biggest supported league in europe! yeah its some step down from being offered a 3 year contract at birmingham!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

the fact that you are saying that the oppertunities open to him were reduced to him playing for bayern munich says it all really, one of the top 10 biggest clubs in the world, in the biggest supported league in europe! yeah its some step down from being offered a 3 year contract at birmingham!

hey just ignore the idiots, if you're not playing with a Top 6 EPL side you dont count, simple as....Bayern Munich or Birmingham??? Indeed...

Of course Bayern would've been a step up, but at the end of the day he's playing in the Russian League.

Anyway, who cares? My points are: He's an over-rated player. he has not progressed sufficiently to be a quality player at the age of 25. Surely he should have learned to provide an end product by now?

There are people here claiming otherwise, but I haven't seen one person give me any instances of where he has been effective for Ireland. he has scored 1 goal! And I bet you could count his assists on one hand!

hey just ignore the idiots, if you're not playing with a Top 6 EPL side you dont count, simple as....Bayern Munich or Birmingham??? Indeed...

ha, its gone up to top 6 now is it!? i love sky sports, wonder when they will start having ad breaks half way through the first half and second half of football matches!? :D

Listen lads, yous aren't doing yourself any favours here by claiming others with opposing views to yours are "idiots" or ignorant in some way.

If you disagree with my points, use counter arguments! Don't fall into the age-old Soccer forum trap of "Wait, you have a different opinion to me? I obviously know a lot about football and you obviously know nothing". All it does is show you have no confidence in your argument... if you have an argument in the first place!

Of course Bayern would've been a step up, but at the end of the day he's playing in the Russian League.

Anyway, who cares? My points are: He's an over-rated player. he has not progressed sufficiently to be a quality player at the age of 25. Surely he should have learned to provide an end product by now?

There are people here claiming otherwise, but I haven't seen one person give me any instances of where he has been effective for Ireland. he has scored 1 goal! And I bet you could count his assists on one hand!

if you know bayern would have been a step up then why did you say his oppertunities were reduced!??

mcgeady is a quality player, thats plain to see, he is one of the best players in the russian premier league, a good quality league, he was bad on friday night where he was coming back from an ankle injury which had ruled him out of football for the last few months...his performance for ireland over this and the last campaign have been getting better and better, every opposition doubles up on him when he has the ball... i got involved in this thread when people were saying stephen hunt would be a better option than him, which is just plain wrong...

Listen lads, yous aren't doing yourself any favours here by claiming others with opposing views to yours are "idiots" or ignorant in some way.

If you disagree with my points, use counter arguments! Don't fall into the age-old Soccer forum trap of "Wait, you have a different opinion to me? I obviously know a lot about football and you obviously know nothing". All it does is show you have no confidence in your argument... if you have an argument in the first place!

i never called you an idiot?? :confused:

it is ignorant to think the russian league is not a good quality league or that bayern munich is a step down from playing with a mid-level epl side! and now your backtracking over your earlier posts! thats not just my opinion but the facts of the matter!?

if you know bayern would have been a step up then why did you say his oppertunities were reduced!??

mcgeady is a quality player, thats plain to see, he is one of the best players in the russian premier league, a good quality league, he was bad on friday night where he was coming back from an ankle injury which had ruled him out of football for the last few months...his performance for ireland over this and the last campaign have been getting better and better, every opposition doubles up on him when he has the ball... i got involved in this thread when people were saying stephen hunt would be a better option than him, which is just plain wrong...

No, he never performs in a green jersey. he has had 2 or 3 outstanding games yes. But in 41 caps and the rest he has been dreadful in general!

And Hunt is DEFINITELY a better option for tomorrow and was for last Friday! I don't care if McGeady is Jesus himself, the lad had not played a game of football in 3 months. He should not have been starting that game and should not start tomorrow!

• Advertisement

i never called you an idiot?? :confused:

Coillte_Bhoy infered that those opposed to you and/or him are idiots.
    hey just ignore the idiots.....

it is ignorant to think the russian league is not a good quality league or that bayern munich is a step down from playing with a mid-level epl side!
    thats not just my opinion but the facts of the matter!?

Well it's just as well I never said either of those things then isn't it?

No, he never performs in a green jersey. he has had 2 or 3 outstanding games yes. But in 41 caps and the rest he has been dreadful in general!

And Hunt is DEFINITELY a better option for tomorrow and was for last Friday! I don't care if McGeady is Jesus himself, the lad had not played a game of football in 3 months. He should not have been starting that game and should not start tomorrow!

my opinion on the mcgeady/hunt for tomorrow matter is already plain to see from my earlier posts, hunt will be like playing with 10 men against a team like russia in russia...no shape or no ball retention and countless frees given against him...he would be a hindrence....mcgeady plays in russia, knows what to expect, has experince of playing in these type of games from all his expereince in the champions league and uefa cup/europa league over his career, therefore I think he is the better optinion to start. if he is not fit enough to carry on, then sub him, but he has to start...

He moved in a £9.5m deal, pittance today and he could've went for a lot more when younger (if the amounts being talked about were even a little bit true). Premier League teams were after him, even heard Bayern were after him at one point. He ended up playing in the Russian League!

Coillte_Bhoy infered that those opposed to you and/or him are idiots.

Well it's just as well I never said either of those things then isn't it?

oh right, so coillte bhoy said it, so i called you an idiot! and dont say you didnt because you were directly referring to me in your post, i can quote and underline where you did that aswell if you want me to!?

you did say them things? i have your posts quoted from where you said them and underlined the bits that are relevant!? :confused:

oh right, so coillte bhoy said it, so i called you an idiot! and dont say you didnt because you were directly referring to me in your post, i can quote and underline where you did that aswell if you want me to!?

you did say them things? i have your posts quoted from where you said them and underlined the bits that are relevant!? :confused:

I never said you called me an idiot. And underline what you like, you're having a very hard time reading plain English.

Yup, you can plainly see here that I am implying that Bayern are a quality team. I stand by that point. In fact I even said
    Of course Bayern would've been a step up

Anyway:

Here you can see my implication that the German League is not as strong as the English Premier League, but is stronger than the Russian League. I stand by this point. You are welcome to argue this point but I stand by it!

You can also try to mold my words whatever way you like, but they're written in the thread in plain English!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭bradlente

I don't think Mageadys an awful player by any standard.I didn't rate him whatsoever until about a year or less ago.Since then bar Slovakia I've seen him play a couple of really good games for Ireland where hes been one of the most important players on the pitch and have heard great things about his performances in Russia.I think the fact hes just come off an injury obviously hampered him the other night.

We haven't seen near his best days in an Ireland shirt imo.Hes still only 25 and could still be 2 or 3 years from his peak form.As he gets older he's obviously gna hone up his decision-making as players do and he'll become more consistant.

This is coming from someone who thought he wasn't good enough to start in the Irish fold about a year ago,I agree that being with Celtic in a poor league has given some people rose tinted glasses about his ability.However at this point I think when fully fit and with game time under his belt hes good enough now.

I never said you called me an idiot. And underline what you like, you're having a very hard time reading plain English.

Yup, you can plainly see here that I am implying that Bayern are a quality team. I stand by that point. In fact I even said

Anyway:

Here you can see my implication that the German League is not as strong as the English Premier League, but is stronger than the Russian League. I stand by this point. You are welcome to argue this point but I stand by it!

You can also try to mold my words whatever way you like, but they're written in the thread in plain English!

you said of coarse bayern would have been a step up after saying his oppertunities were reduced to playing in germany... bayern munich were after him in germany, the only club in england where it would have been on par with this move to bayern would have been man united, who were never in for him, it was a middle table team in the epl who were in for him, therefore a move to the epl would have been a reduction in his oppertunities as opposed to the way you have it...

the german league is the best supported league in europe, i really dont see how you can say it is not on par with the epl...

and the idiot thing, as you say yourself is written in the thread in plain english...

bradlente wrote: »
    I don't think Mageadys an awful player by any standard.I didn't rate him whatsoever until about a year or less ago.Since then bar Slovakia I've seen him play a couple of really good games for Ireland where hes been one of the most important players on the pitch and have heard great things about his performances in Russia.I think the fact hes just come off an injury obviously hampered him the other night.

We haven't seen near his best days in an Ireland shirt imo.Hes still only 25 and could still be 2 or 3 years from his peak form.As he gets older he's obviously gna hone up his decision-making as players do and he'll become more consistant.

This is coming from someone who thought he wasn't good enough to start in the Irish fold about a year ago,I agree that being with Celtic in a poor league has given some people rose tinted glasses about his ability.However at this point I think when fully fit and with game time under his belt hes good enough now.

the way i see it he gives the team more of a balance, without him playing its only really duff we have who opposition teams have to woory about attacking down the flanks, with him in the team he frees up duff as the attacking potential is from both wings...

you said of coarse bayern would have been a step up after saying his oppertunities were reduced to playing in germany... bayern munich were after him in germany, the only club in england where it would have been on par with this move to bayern would have been man united, who were never in for him, it was a middle table team in the epl who were in for him, therefore a move to the epl would have been a reduction in his oppertunities as opposed to the way you have it...

Well, if i remember correctly, it was Liverpool who were coming in for him.

But the facts are the facts, he ended up playing in Russia! Not England, Not Spain, Russia!
    the german league is the best supported league in europe, i really dont see how you can say it is not on par with the epl...

What's that got to do with anything? Emile Heskey could have more fan club members than Lionel messi, doesn't make him a better footballer does it? The epl is a stronger league than the German League, whether more people turn up to games or not!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

This argument about 'stronger leagues' is ridiculous. Using it to imply that the 20th best team in England is better than the top team in Germany because the top team in England is better than the top team in England is senseless. Nobody in their right mind would turn down A.C Milan in favour of QPR because the Italian league is rated later than the English Premiership, for example.

McGeady has proven over the last year and a bit that he's a valuable player who weighs in with his fair share of assists and goals in Moskow and a lot of people consider him captain material. His decision to leave his comfort zone to go play in a league thousands of miles away and learn the language demonstrates his bravery and willingness to challenge himself and improve. That Spartak saw enough in him at Celtic to bring him over and that he's been, all things considered, a success shows up these arguments about him being a useless player or a headless chicken as pure tard-speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Haters gonna Hate.

Loads of bile in this thread from people who can't assess footballers. McGeady is frustrating as hell but **** me - it isn't because of a lack of effort. Even on Friday he tracked back as much as you could ask all night and made some plays to win the ball back around our box. HE WASN'T FIT.

I agree that he is a braindead footballer who makes the wrong decision too often, but the problem here is clearly the coaching he received as a younger player. He always tries his best, and some of the hate in here is frankly embarrassing from so called Irish fans. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

McGeady flatters to deceive far to often. A good player but not near approaching a great one yet.

If he'd never played for Celtic certain people may have had a more realistic assessment of his talents.

Uttered by someone who probably never even saw him play for Celtic.

McGeady has been fairly dire for Ireland but was superb at Celtic and is apparently running the show in Russia as well.

The world doesn't begin and end with the EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭craggles

Almost the entire Russian starting XI are based in the Russian League.

Weak league? Really?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Haters gonna Hate.

Loads of bile in this thread from people who can't assess footballers. McGeady is frustrating as hell but **** me - it isn't because of a lack of effort. Even on Friday he tracked back as much as you could ask all night and made some plays to win the ball back around our box. HE WASN'T FIT.

I agree that he is a braindead footballer who makes the wrong decision too often, but the problem here is clearly the coaching he received as a younger player. He always tries his best, and some of the hate in here is frankly embarrassing from so called Irish fans. :o

I agree, I have only read the first two pages and its hilarious really certain posters comments but not suprised at the same time because some haven't a clue about football that can been seen on other threads also, pure begrudgery hypocrites lol;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I agree, I have only read the first two pages and its hilarious really certain posters comments but not suprised at the same time because some haven't a clue about football that can been seen on other threads also, pure begrudgery hypocrites lol;)

I think he did alright the other night considering he wasnt fit, he did have a poor game going forward though but "Begrugery"? What are they begrudging? :confused:

IMO of using boards, anyone that uses that word is just a lazy debater. Its just a broad range insult that doesnt have a retort so it gets used by people out of ideas to use in some sort of debate on whatever issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I think he did alright the other night considering he wasnt fit, he did have a poor game going forward though but "Begrugery"? What are they begrudging? :confused:

IMO of using boards, anyone that uses that word is just a lazy debater. Its just a broad range insult that doesnt have a retort so it gets used by people out of ideas to use in some sort of debate on whatever issue.

Begrugery of a useless player:rolleyes: who has over 40 caps for his country and plays for one of the top club in Russia.

Wasn't he picked in the team of the season in the Russian league last season? second best winger in the league or something.

• Advertisement

Begrugery of a useless player:rolleyes: who has over 40 caps for his country and plays for one of the top club in Russia.

Wasn't he picked in the team of the season in the Russian league last season? second best winger in the league or something.

as someone on here pointed out to me, it is not the epl, so it doesnt matter what he does in russia!!haha

as someone on here pointed out to me, it is not the epl, so it doesnt matter what he does in russia!!haha

If you're refering to me, then you are taking it out of the context of what I was talking about in the first place, his progression as a player.

All of this is moot anyway because he doesn't put in performances for Ireland.

He wasn't especially bad today, but he wasn't good either!

Yet another game that passed him by, although in fairness he wasn't the only sh*t player out there. I can't remember one good performance from him for Ireland. Club form doesn't matter a toss. He has never done it for Ireland, and after 40+ caps, it doesn't look good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

WallyGUFC wrote: »
    Yet another game that passed him by, although in fairness he wasn't the only sh*t player out there. I can't remember one good performance from him for Ireland. Club form doesn't matter a toss. He has never done it for Ireland, and after 40+ caps, it doesn't look good.

Considering he spent the first half playing left back as well as midfield I thought he did well. Faded in the 2nd alright but both McGeady and Duff's performances today just prove the problem is more to do with the quality of the ball they receive. It's hard for any player to create chances when they receive the ball on the halfway line with their back to goal.

If we had better central midfield players and support from the full backs we would be able to get our wide players into positions where they could cause teams problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I thought he was one of our better players today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement