Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mcgeady

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

41 caps in, and he's been painfully average in a green jersey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Ebbs

He was poor today? We must have been watching different matches. Bar Dunne and Given he was basically the only other player on the pitch. He probably had about 30% of all Ireland's possession and covered more ground than anyone else.

Id love if the rest of the squad were as "painfully average" as him.

Ebbs wrote: »
    He was poor today? We must have been watching different matches. Bar Dunne and Given he was basically the only other player on the pitch. He probably had about 30% of all Ireland's possession and covered more ground than anyone else.

Why is a winger covering ground so much, should not be his job?

Hunt always look more positive compared to him, when he gets his chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭Le King

41 caps in, and he's been painfully average in a green jersey.

Ridiculous. Could only pin one player who played better today. Makes the wrong decision a lot but I wouldn't replace him. His defensive work today was excellent.

What is it about McGeady. He is one of our better players.

Plays better than Whelan, Andrews etc. 90% of the time but receives the flak.

He is one of those players who can make something happen for us. Without him we look more average. He is quick on the ball too. Look at Whelan today. His slow reactions caused us to lose the ball too much today.

However, I expect nothing less from some so called Irish fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,683 ✭✭✭plasmaguy

Begrugery of a useless player:rolleyes: who has over 40 caps for his country and plays for one of the top club in Russia.

Wasn't he picked in the team of the season in the Russian league last season? second best winger in the league or something.

And the last Russian club side to win the Champions League was?

Or reach the final even? Or semi final?

The Champions League is the best way of assessing the strengths of leagues and top clubs across Europe, and Russian clubs haven't featured much in the closing stages since it started.

Sure we all know players who are brilliant down in the Phoenix Park every sunday, does that mean they are world class players?

Russian Leage is a step up from the SPL, but to say it's on a par with the EPL or La Liga is stretching it.

I am no hater or begrudger of McGeady, I just want to see a realistic assessment of his talents and the league he plays in.

Le King wrote: »
    Ridiculous. Could only pin one player who played better today. Makes the wrong decision a lot but I wouldn't replace him. His defensive work today was excellent.

What is it about McGeady. He is one of our better players.

Plays better than Whelan, Andrews etc. 90% of the time but receives the flak.

He is one of those players who can make something happen for us. Without him we look more average. He is quick on the ball too. Look at Whelan today. His slow reactions caused us to lose the ball too much today.

However, I expect nothing less from some so called Irish fans.

He played ok today, and was asked to do a tough job, but going forward, again he only got one cross into the danger area. Hunt managed to get at least two in the 25 minutes he was on and looked far more dangerous.

RoryMac wrote: »
    Considering he spent the first half playing left back as well as midfield I thought he did well. Faded in the 2nd alright but both McGeady and Duff's performances today just prove the problem is more to do with the quality of the ball they receive. It's hard for any player to create chances when they receive the ball on the halfway line with their back to goal.

If we had better central midfield players and support from the full backs we would be able to get our wide players into positions where they could cause teams problems.

I and most people don't doubt McGeady's desire and motivation to do well for Ireland, he tries his best and gives it 100% and did it again today in Moscow, more so than many other players on the field. He's a very honest player and capable of moments of brillance and class, but sometimes you'd wish he had the ability to lump it into the box, a good early ball.

But I still think he ranks up there with Dunne and Given for sheer determination and effort. I'm certainly not going to blame McGeady for all our ills, he's one of our better players. All I will say is that on Friday I think Hunt might have been a better option to start than McGeady.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,258 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

8 pages in and not one person has given an example of McGeady creating ANYTHING for Ireland!

Where are all these chances he's creating?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Ebbs wrote: »

Covers ground, yes. Not much use if you're going to give the ball away at the end of it. He should spend his entire training sessions practicing his crosses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

MrStuffins wrote: »
    8 pages in and not one person has given an example of McGeady creating ANYTHING for Ireland!

Where are all these chances he's creating?

Silly post given the game in question.

• Advertisement

noodler wrote: »
    Silly post given the game in question.

Perhaps, if I was talking about the game in question.

But i'm talking about his overall contribution in a green shirt! Nobody has given an example of what he creates exactly!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

plasmaguy wrote: »
    Considering he spent the first half playing left back as well as midfield I thought he did well. Faded in the 2nd alright but both McGeady and Duff's performances today just prove the problem is more to do with the quality of the ball they receive. It's hard for any player to create chances when they receive the ball on the halfway line with their back to goal.

If we had better central midfield players and support from the full backs we would be able to get our wide players into positions where they could cause teams problems.

I and most people don't doubt McGeady's desire and motivation to do well for Ireland, he tries his best and gives it 100% and did it again today in Moscow, more so than many other players on the field. He's a very honest player and capable of moments of brillance and class, but sometimes you'd wish he had the ability to lump it into the box, a good early ball.

But I still think he ranks up there with Dunne and Given for sheer determination and effort. I'm certainly not going to blame McGeady for all our ills, he's one of our better players. All I will say is that on Friday I think Hunt might have been a better option to start than McGeady.

Can't disagree with any of that but it is a slight change in opinion to some of the stuff you posted earlier in this thread.

Hunt may have been a better option on Friday as it was McGeady's first game in 3 months after injury but for me when fit McGeady is the better option. I was impressed with his workrate especially in the 1st half tonight but again as the game went on he tired.

I'd like to see the team get the ball to him where he's at his best running at defenders but we slow the play down too much and usually when he receives the ball he's already closely marked.

Not suggesting for a minute that we should be changing our team just to suit him but I think some would have a better opinion of him if they saw him take on defenders 1 on 1 at pace rather than 1 on 2 trapped on the sideline.

Perhaps, if I was talking about the game in question.

But i'm talking about his overall contribution in a green shirt! Nobody has given an example of what he creates exactly!

Kevin Doyle against Georgia in Germany.

The goal against Macedonia.

The goals he helped save us from conceding with his excellent defensive work last night and on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,511 ✭✭✭VW 1

I must say I thought he did well last night considering his lack of match practice and fitness.

He did a great job defensively for all the times Stephen Ward went missing, constantly helping out his defender.

With regard to him not creating much, I really dont know how he is expected to in the current setup. When he receives the ball on the wing he has three options.

1. Take on the two defenders that are marking him and try to get a ball into the box which is obviously difficult.

2. Play the ball infield to the supporting midfielder which is impossible due to Andrews and Green never ever being there to look to get the ball and recycle possession.

3. Go backwards to his fullback.

He is given a tough job and imo he does as well as we can expect from a winger with no support from the middle and a shíte fullback. How many times did we see McGeady or Duff running backwards with the ball and end up playing a ball back to a CB or the keeper from a semi-attacking position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

VW 1 wrote: »
    I must say I thought he did well last night considering his lack of match practice and fitness.

He did a great job defensively for all the times Stephen Ward went missing, constantly helping out his defender.

With regard to him not creating much, I really dont know how he is expected to in the current setup. When he receives the ball on the wing he has three options.

1. Take on the two defenders that are marking him and try to get a ball into the box which is obviously difficult.

2. Play the ball infield to the supporting midfielder which is impossible due to Andrews and Green never ever being there to look to get the ball and recycle possession.

He is given a tough job and imo he does as well as we can expect from a winger with no support from the middle and a shíte fullback. How many times did we see McGeady or Duff running backwards with the ball and end up playing a ball back to a CB or the keeper from a semi-attacking position.

Pretty much sums it up. But some posters on here expect him to beat the two men every time and put the ball into the box. McGeady is our most dangerous player, if we do get to the Euros we will all be thankful he's in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

VW 1 wrote: »

Totally spot on, Lazy midfield and the ward was out of position last night and certainly showed that he should not have been there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,161 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

I am no hater or begrudger of McGeady, I just want to see a realistic assessment of his talents and the league he plays in.

Please point out where I haven't given McGeady a realistic assessment of his talent? I merely stated that people calling him useless or things to that degree really haven't a clue because he is far from useless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Pretty much sums it up. But some posters on here expect him to beat the two men every time and put the ball into the box. McGeady is our most dangerous player, if we do get to the Euros we will all be thankful he's in the team.
    Though if we do get to the Euros we'll be against the cream of the crop and on last nights evidence not much will be different with Andrews and Whelan still playing and all the Premier League regulars collecting splinters on the bench and Ciaran Clark chilling away from the team.

I was optimistic about the direction the team could head a few months ago with the likes of McCarthy, Clark and Coleman coming through and while I know Coleman was injured I'm not sure if he would have even started and I've just become completely disillusioned by the current setups ability. Yes we got the point yesterday but that was EXTREMELY lucky, anyone who says otherwise is silly.

Kevin Doyle against Georgia in Germany.

The goal against Macedonia.

The goals he helped save us from conceding with his excellent defensive work last night and on Friday.

So, in 42 games for Ireland his contribution has been setting up one goal!

Scoring one goal, which was a shot directly at the keeper which he f*cked up.

And a bit of defending yesterday (during which he also gave the ball away a couple of times by trying to play it out of his own third)??

Exactly my point old bean!

• Advertisement

And a bit of defending yesterday (during which he also gave the ball away a couple of times by trying to play it out of his own third)??

You're showing yourself up here. Do you really think that's all he's created in 42 games?

We've scored 11 goals in this campaign, McGeady getting one. The way you're going on you'd swear we are Spain. We struggle to create chances and score goals because of the system we play. Why can't you get that through your head FFS?

you're even having a go at him for his performance yesterday when we were played off the park. Man it's funny the hate you have for McGeady, obviously you can't spot a player.

Liam O wrote: »
    Though if we do get to the Euros we'll be against the cream of the crop and on last nights evidence not much will be different with Andrews and Whelan still playing and all the Premier League regulars collecting splinters on the bench and Ciaran Clark chilling away from the team.

I was optimistic about the direction the team could head a few months ago with the likes of McCarthy, Clark and Coleman coming through and while I know Coleman was injured I'm not sure if he would have even started and I've just become completely disillusioned by the current setups ability. Yes we got the point yesterday but that was EXTREMELY lucky, anyone who says otherwise is silly.

Agree with that. We got lucky pure and simple.

You're showing yourself up here. Do you really think that's all he's created in 42 games?

We've scored 11 goals in this campaign, McGeady getting one. The way you're going on you'd swear we are Spain. We struggle to create chances and score goals because of the system we play. Why can't you get that through your head FFS?

you're even having a go at him for his performance yesterday when we were played off the park. Man it's funny the hate you have for McGeady, obviously you can't spot a player.

Firstly, once again you decide to retort using the old "Your knowlwdge is below par" routine. It seems to be a habit around here. Get over yourself. If your argument was strong enough you wouldnt have to keep coming back to that old and tired argument!

Secondly, how am I showing myself up? it's not who said this, it was another poster. People keep saying he's creating this and creating that and i am asking them to give me examples. The post you have quoted was me repeating what another poster has said.

Try to keep up won't you?

If you have examples to back up what you're arguing, then use them!

Firstly, once again you decide to retort using the old "Your knowlwdge is below par" routine. It seems to be a habit around here. Get over yourself. If your argument was strong enough you wouldnt have to keep coming back to that old and tired argument!

Secondly, how am I showing myself up? it's not who said this, it was another poster. People keep saying he's creating this and creating that and i am asking them to give me examples. The post you have quoted was me repeating what another poster has said.

Try to keep up won't you?

If you have examples to back up what you're arguing, then use them!

Do you want to list every game he played and tell me he where didn't create anything ? I'd doubt he'd be on the team if he offered nothing..

I had a look through my posts on boards and found this. It was after the Andorra game where some idiot went off on a rant saying he did nothing the entire game. This is from one game.
    Won the corner that Kilbane scored from with some nice peice of play.
    Played a lovely ball to Keane that he was ruled offside from, replay suggested it was 50/50.
    Set up Kilbane with a lovely flick
    Set up Keane with a beautiful passage from which he scored.
    Crossed the ball into Keane and Doyle which they both failed to run onto.
    Set Andy Keogh up for a great chance at the end.

That's just from the top of my head, I'm sure he contributed more than that but that's chances he directly helped make, not bad for a nights work. Not to mention it was his second game of the season, coming in the space of 5 days but don't let that get in the way of a good rant.

Do you want to list every game he played and tell me he where didn't create anything ? I'd doubt he'd be on the team if he offered nothing..

I had a look through my posts on boards and found this. It was after the Andorra game where some idiot went off on a rant saying he did nothing the entire game. This is from one game.

Yeah of course, because there's no other players in the Ireland team right now who aren't up to scratch! :rolleyes:

So, McGeady has gone from being this game changer of a player to winning corners and playing balls to offside players.

It's fair enough that he set up a goal in that game, great. Anything else? So far we have 42 caps, 2 assists and 1 goal!

As i've said before, he doesn't contribute enough. But not only that, he has a tendency to try beat 2-3 players when he should just pass the ball. Even when he DOES beat the players, his crossing is well below par!

So, McGeady has gone from being this game changer of a player to winning corners and playing balls to offside players.

It's fair enough that he set up a goal in that game, great. Anything else? So far we have 42 caps, 2 assists and 1 goal!

That's the only example I've written out on here. Do you want me to go back and watch every other game for you? Again, can you tell me that he didn't create anything in all them games?

A quick google tells me he got the MOM award at home to Georgia, add that to your list.

As i've said before, he doesn't contribute enough. But not only that, he has a tendency to try beat 2-3 players when he should just pass the ball. Even when he DOES beat the players, his crossing is well below par!

Oh man this is beyond tedious. He has a tendency to try and beat 2-3 players because he's being double marked with hardly any options. What games do you be watching?

• Advertisement

That's the only example I've written out on here. Do you want me to go back and watch every other game for you? Again, can you tell me that he didn't create anything in all them games?

A quick google tells me he got the MOM award at home to Georgia, add that to your list.

Georgia has already been duely noted. His assist for Kevin Doyle has been mentioned.

And the fact that you can't think of anything off the top of your head speaks volumes! 42 games and nothing stands out. A Premier League season spans 38 games. If a winger was an ever present through a season and was a creative player, i'd like to think i'd be able to think of a couple of instances of creation of the top of my head!
    Oh man this is beyond tedious. He has a tendency to try and beat 2-3 players because he's being double marked with hardly any options. What games do you be watching?

Well if he's being double marked then somebody isn't! Instead of trying (and failing 90% of the time) to beat them and ending up losing the ball, how about he pass it?

And again, he can't pass, cross or shoot! Do you disagree?

And the fact that you can't think of anything off the top of your head speaks volumes! 42 games and nothing stands out. A Premier League season spans 38 games. If a winger was an ever present through a season and was a creative player, i'd like to think i'd be able to think of a couple of instances of creation of the top of my head!

Well if he's being double marked then somebody isn't! Instead of trying (and failing 90% of the time) to beat them and ending up losing the ball, how about he pass it?

I'd love to know how many times he came off the bench.
    How many goals Ireland scored in them games.
    How many assists does he really have etc.
    or How many chances he has created for his world class teammates to fluff.

Point is, You don't know either and you think that makes you right!

If he is being double marked? He is, go back and watch.

Also pass it to who? Whelan, Andrews, McShane, Kilbane etc, right you are.

To say he can't pass, shoot or cross sums this all up. You've made a poor judgement watching him play in a limited Ireland side. I've seen him do the business against Barca, Milan, Benfica etc and to a certain extent Ireland and Spartak. You obviously haven't..

I'd love to know how many times he came off the bench.
    How many goals Ireland scored in them games.
    How many assists does he really have etc.
    or How many chances he has created for his world class teammates to fluff.

Point is, You don't know either and you think that makes you right!

Er... I think you'll find I do! I've seen him time and time again waste chances, let the ball go out of play neelessly, over-extend himself while trying to take on too many players. And the times he DOES get into position there's no end product.

My use of the word "if" was not in opposition to what you were saying about him being double-marked. i don't think you're reading my posts properly.

Yes, after all they ARE his team-mates.
    To say he can't pass, shoot or cross sums this all up. You've made a poor judgement watching him play in a limited Ireland side. I've seen him do the business against Barca, Milan, Benfica etc and to a certain extent Ireland and Spartak. You obviously haven't..

Well I can't remember the last time Ireland played against Barca or Spartak. I don't give a damn what he does for his club. I am talking about his contribution in an Ireland shirt.

You disagree with me but the extent of your argument so far has been that he was Man of the Match once and he's had a few decent games for his club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

+1
    He clearly does make a contribution to the irish team which is difficult to do the way the team is set up. Mcgeady is perhaps the only creative player we have. He can at least take players on, drag players out of position and win multiple free kicks (which seems to be one of the few avenues we have to score goals)! In the last two matches he has not even had the opportunity to do this because he is covering defensively.

Can anyone really say that Duff overs that much more on the other wing?

listermint wrote: »
    Totally spot on, Lazy midfield and the ward was out of position last night and certainly showed that he should not have been there.

And Duff and Hunt don't play with the same midfield and have done for the last 20 or so matches and still manage to produce quality crosses into Doyle and Keane?

So now that excuse has been blown to pieces, given that the other wide players manage just fine playing with the same midfield, what's the next excuse?

Once again, against Russia, McGeady's final ball in the final third was lacking quality. I had no problem with the rest of his play yesterday, but again the final ball in the final third was poor. It's something he seriously needs to work on. You don't actually have to go around a man to cross the ball. In fact you can cross from the wing without beating anyone, quite simple and Hunt does it all the time. The problem with McGeady is he tries to beat people and make as much space as possible for a cross, and that gives defences time to double up on him and dispossess him.

Without creating anything for the strikers which he didn't against both Slovakia and Russia, then why exactly is he playing?

I said it before the Russian match if people want to look back over my posts, with McGeady playing I didn't think we had a hope of scoring because we just don't produce enough chances for the forwards. It was that way against Slovakia and it turned out that way against Russia. And it looks like Armenia are now a half decent side and could be hard to break down. And with McGeady in the side against Armenia, I think we will really struggle to create chances and score.

I'd have Hunt starting for both the last two games, he's far more direct in his passing and crossing, reliable and accurate too in the final ball. And he and Duff play with exactly the same midfielders as McGeady.

I've nothing against McGeady but from the perspective of our qualification chances and the need to put goals past Armenia, I think we will seriously struggle with McGeady in the side as he creates very few clear chances for our forwards. Doyle and Keane are only as good as the service they receive and Doyle has received nothing the last two games, while Keane has had only one decent cross from Duff.

Time to give Hunt a try.

• Advertisement

Cole Train - don't bother.

Incidentally, Kevin Doyle only has one goal this campaign ....I WANT HIME DROPPED!

Er... I think you'll find I do! I've seen him time and time again waste chances, let the ball go out of play neelessly, over-extend himself while trying to take on too many players. And the times he DOES get into position there's no end product.

Negativity all the time with you. You can't see what he brings to the team. Making the oppositions fullback not push on, winning freekicks, gives us a spark in the final third with his pace and skill. We'd be even worse to watch without McGeady in the team.
    My use of the word "if" was not in opposition to what you were saying about him being double-marked. i don't think you're reading my posts properly.

Maybe don't use "if" next time, just say when he is being double marked . Make it easier for everyone, eh?

Yes, after all they ARE his team-mates.

Very limited ones, that's my point. Not like he can pass it inside to a player of Hamsik's ability or he has a quality fullback to back him up.

Well I can't remember the last time Ireland played against Barca or Spartak. I don't give a damn what he does for his club. I am talking about his contribution in an Ireland shirt.

You don't give a damn what he does for his club? Good job you're not picking the team then.

You disagree with me but the extent of your argument so far has been that he was Man of the Match once and he's had a few decent games for his club.

That has not being the extent of my argument ffs. I'm done with this.

Keep telling us all how poor McGeady is and show up your knowledge of the game. I'm not for a minute saying he is world class but most on here will surely agree with me when I say he's a good player and brings a lot to the team. Keep telling yourself otherwise.

Incidentally, Kevin Doyle only has one goal this campaign ....I WANT HIME DROPPED!

I'm finished now, no point in trying to talk sense to some on here.

+1
    He clearly does make a contribution to the irish team which is difficult to do the way the team is set up. Mcgeady is perhaps the only creative player we have. He can at least take players on, drag players out of position and win multiple free kicks (which seems to be one of the few avenues we have to score goals)! In the last two matches he has not even had the opportunity to do this because he is covering defensively.

Tell us one good scoring chance McGeady created for Doyle, Keane, Hunt or Cox in either the last two matches or several matches before that? Because I can't think of one, out of hundreds of minutes of football, perhaps 1000 minutes of football, not one.

He can't create chances, which is the primary role of a winger. He also can't score.

In effect he does nothing in the final third, nothing!

Ah but sure he is the greatest winger that ever lived according to some, usually Celtic supporters.

I hate to break it to yee, but the SPL is not a serious league. Robbie Keane could hardly get a sniff in the EPL, goes up to Scotland scores 16 times in 15 games against the likes of St. Mirren and so on, and is Celtic player of the year despite only playing 4 months.

That tells you all you need to know about the SPL. The Russian League is only slightly better, but nowhere near as good as the EPL or La Liga.

He doesn't create anything in the final third, and we always struggle to score when he is in the team.

So enough of the Celtic tinted glasses. He creates nothing for the forwards. But I don't blame McGeady as much as I blame Trap for starting him the last two games.

+1

Off the top of my head?

(H) Cyprus: Duff cross sets up Keane goal
    (H) Georgia: Duff corner sets up Keane goal
    (A) Cyprus: Duff sets up Keane goal
    (A) France: Duff cross sets up Keane goal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

For the record, both of you are giving opinions. That is not "talking sense". You are just giving an opinion. Neither of you can prove you are right.

Edit: For what it is worth, McGeady is a decent enough player by Irish standards. But that hardly means he is anything special. He is easily the most frustrating player I have witnessed in person.

I think that pretty much sums up his attacking performance for Ireland.

Hunt by the way did just as good a job of defending when he came on and in general tracks back better than McGeady.

Put simply McGeady is unproven at international level in comparison to Duff, Dunne, Given, Keane, Doyle and others, and it's not as if he hasn't had game time.

And why has he only got one goal this campaign?

Because he's only had about one serious chance playing along side McGeady who has given him nothing the whole campaign that's why.

Both Keane and Doyle struggle to score when McGeady is in the team. Duff is a far far better creater of chances for them as is Hunt.

We need to get real about what McGeady contributes and creates. Stop blaming others, Duff and Hunt don't blame others.

Because he's only had about one serious chance playing along side McGeady who has given him nothing the whole campaign that's why.

Both Keane and Doyle struggle to score when McGeady is in the team. Duff is a far far better creater of chances for them as is Hunt.

You have officially lost it.

Blaming McGeady for our lack of goals, excusing Doyle for our lack of goals.

It is extremely difficult to be a winger in Trap's system, the amount of up and down you do is excessive by any league's standards. McGeady has learned to do this very, very well under Trap. i.e. he does exactly what Trap asks of him.

Making your wingers track back at every single opportunity, playing midfielders who constantly retreat and give you no ball whatsoever and then you want to slate McGeady for the lack of chances the team makes.

You can say a winger is suposed to create chances until your head explodes - it isn't that simple in the system Trap has setup.

• Advertisement

It is extremely difficult to be a winger in Trap's system, the amount of up and down you do is excessive by any league's standards. McGeady has learned to do this very, very well under Trap. i.e. he does exactly what Trap asks of him.

Making your wingers track back at every single opportunity, playing midfielders who constantly retreat and give you no ball whatsoever and then you want to slate McGeady for the lack of chances the team makes.

You can say a winger is suposed to create chances until your head explodes - it isn't that simple in the system Trap has setup.

Does not explain why Stephen Hunt puts in enough balls into the box, with the limited time he gets. I think McGeady might be too obedient of Trap's negative gameplan, and he needs to start changing now.

Does not explain why Stephen Hunt puts in enough balls into the box, with the limited time he gets. I think McGeady might be too obedient of Trap's negative gameplan, and he needs to start changing now.

Not really? Hunt has setup two goals competitively under Trap - both freekicks.

EDIT: I think it was a hunt free that setup St Ledger's goal against Italy as well.

He rarely starts and so rarely has to do the amount of work McGeady does.

Besides, I am not here to knock Hunt's game - the blame being put on McGeady is incredibly naive and displays a rather serious lack of understanding about what he is getting to work with.

Can he do better? Perhaps. The criticism is absolutely comical though.

I think McGeady might be too obedient of Trap's negative gameplan, and he needs to start changing now.

So which is it? He can't cross? or He isn't trying to attack?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,326 ✭✭✭RoryMac

We need to get real about what McGeady contributes and creates. Stop blaming others, Duff and Hunt don't blame others.

So it's ok to say Doyle doesn't score more goals because McGeady doesn't get the ball to him but when others give an opinion that the service and support given to McGeady is poor that's dismissed?

For me the common theme for both the wide players and forwards is no support from the central midfield.

Oh and on your last point how do you know "Duff and Hunt don't blame others"? Have you spoken to them?

Tell us the last goal chance McGeady created for Doyle or Keane so.

And bear in mind Hunt put the ball in the box several times in the 30 minutes he played in the last two games, and does so every time he plays.

Tell us the last goal chance McGeady created for Doyle or Keane so.

And bear in mind Hunt put the ball in the box several times in the 30 minutes he played in the last two games, and does so every time he plays.

He has? I don't remember Hunt getting any good crosses in against Russia. I remember one against Slovakia - I think you are overexagerating your Hunt point a bit.

If you feel Hunt is a better crosser than McGeady then nobody disagrees. It doesn't mean McGeady is the serious problem with our surrent setup.

So it's ok to say Doyle doesn't score more goals because McGeady doesn't get the ball to him but when others give an opinion that the service and support given to McGeady is poor that's dismissed?

For me the common theme for both the wide players and forwards is no support from the central midfield.

Oh and on your last point how do you know "Duff and Hunt don't blame others"? Have you spoken to them?

Service and support to McGeady? The guy gets the ball more than anyone in the Irish team, and yet out of 42 games, we can only think of one goal he has set up and perhaps 4 or 5 chances he has created.

I know this is getting repetitive but there was an inevitability about McGeady's final ball in Moscow based on what we saw against Slovakia and virtually every previous Irish game.

His final ball has always been poor in an Irish shirt. Blaming Andrews or Whelan for McGeady's rubbish final ball is laughable to say the least.

He has? I don't remember Hunt getting any good crosses in against Russia. I remember one against Slovakia - I think you are overexagerating your Hunt point a bit.

If you feel Hunt is a better crosser than McGeady then nobody disagrees. It doesn't mean McGeady is the serious problem with our surrent setup.

His freekick against Russia was bang on Keane's head who was in open space and who should really have hit the target. That's just one chance. Apart from that, he done a lot of other good things, breaking up Russian play, and crossing two very good balls into the box, but Keane was knackered at that stage and couldn't get onto them.

So which is it? He can't cross? or He isn't trying to attack?

Problem is he is way too defensive for a player who is meant to be a winger. Yesterday, he was doing so much work that Ward should have been doing. He has developed a habit of passing back to a midfielder or defender, when he should be looking for Keane or Doyle.

I think he typifies the type of player Trap is fiercely loyal to, but has rarely done anything special to justify continual first XI appearances.

Again, I don't particularly blame him, more that I blame the negative manager we currently have. He could look much better under our next manager, whoever that will be. I hope so.

Service and support to McGeady? The guy gets the ball more than anyone in the Irish team, and yet out of 42 games, we can only think of one goal he has set up and perhaps 4 or 5 chances he has created.

I know this is getting repetitive but there was an inevitability about McGeady's final ball in Moscow based on what we saw against Slovakia and virtually every previous Irish game.

His final ball has always been poor in an Irish shirt. Blaming Andrews or Whelan for McGeady's rubbish final ball is laughable to say the least.

Your agenda against the player in the face of the team's wider problems is laughable.

I'd love to be watching the Ireland you see, with wingers getting ball after ball to waste.

Apart from that, he done a lot of other good things, breaking up Russian play, and crossing two very good balls into the box, but Keane was knackered at that stage and couldn't get onto them.

Hah, so McGeady didn't do a serious amount of "other good things" in the Slovakia and Russian games?

A half dozen vital trackback and tackles ring any bells?

• Advertisement

Problem is he is way too defensive for a player who is meant to be a winger. Yesterday, he was doing so much work that Ward should have been doing. He has developed a habit of passing back to a midfielder or defender, when he should be looking for Keane or Doyle.

I think he typifies the type of player Trap is fiercely loyal to, but has rarely done anything special to justify continual first XI appearances.

Was about to give another speech about how he only does this for Trap (and that Trap trained him to do this kind of leg work) until I saw your next line..
    Again, I don't particularly blame him, more that I blame the negative manager we currently have. He could look much better under our next manager, whoever that will be. I hope so.

Advertisement