Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Duffy & Airlingus luggage

Options
  • 05-09-2011 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭

Heard this on the radio - and found it hard to believe until I checked it myself

Basically the person on the radio was ranting that after paying for 2nd or 3rd bag that basically the 20kg weight is split between the bags, buying additional bags does not give you additional allowance,
    http://www.aerlingus.com/help/help/baggageinformation/#d.en.1222

Not sure if other airlines do it - but obviously pretty harsh with the immigration going on etc at the moment

Toppy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,084 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

-Toppy- wrote: »
    Heard this on the radio - and found it hard to believe until I checked it myself

Basically the person on the radio was ranting that after paying for 2nd or 3rd bag that basically the 20kg weight is split between the bags, buying additional bags does not give you additional allowance,
    http://www.aerlingus.com/help/help/baggageinformation/#d.en.1222

Not sure if other airlines do it - but obviously pretty harsh with the immigration going on etc at the moment

Toppy

I never thought that having an extra bag did gave you an extra allowance.:confused:

If you're going to emigrate, then long-haul's the best because the allowance is greater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

ejmaztec wrote: »
    I never thought that having an extra bag did gave you an extra allowance.:confused:

If you're going to emigrate, then long-haul's the best because the allowance is greater.

True but the long hall options east ward are very limited from Ireland.

I think EI are been very misleading here even though it's in black and white in the T&Cs. You're basically paying for the privilege of spreading the same allowance over more bags. Doesn't make sence really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Eever

Happened to a friend of mine aswell. I would've thought the same actually, it makes no sense to pay for an extra bag if your weight allowance is the same, in fact you'd be squandering some of your allowance on the weight of the second suitcase!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

Always consider the type of bag you are using. Some suitcases weigh close to 5kg. In other words you are using 1/4 of your available allowance on the case itself.
    If you are close to the limit you should look at Duffle bags.They usually come in under 1kg. Means you have to find a trolley at the airport, but thems the breaks.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Pretty sure Ryanair do this too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,317 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Oryx wrote: »
    Pretty sure Ryanair do this too.
    Nope, they add 15kg per additional bag (and you can also buy your first bag up to 20kg) but the limit is no bag can exceed the individual bag allowance (i.e. 15kg per bag, not 20kg in one and 10 in another).

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Nody wrote: »
    Nope, they add 15kg per additional bag (and you can also buy your first bag up to 20kg) but the limit is no bag can exceed the individual bag allowance (i.e. 15kg per bag, not 20kg in one and 10 in another).
    Apologies. Its a long time since I booked luggage with them, and they used to have a total overall weight.

Advertisement