Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegan Breakfast?

Options
  • 05-09-2011 8:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

Hi! I'm a vegetarian and I trying to cut out other animal products too and I was looking for some suggestions of what to have for breakfast. Usually I'd have toast (which I can keep doing) and some wheatabix with fruit. I've tried using milk substitutes in the wheatabix but I just don't like the taste of them. What else could I have for breakfast that isn't cereal-ish but still filling and easy?

Oh, also, I've been using that "Pure" soy butter for a while and was wondering if there were any other types around?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Gauge

Tofu scrambles can be nice if you're craving a cooked breakfast. There's hundreds of recipes out there!

This one has suggestions for different serving methods.
    Basic recipe (If you haven't used nutritional yeast before you can get it in health food shops).

Add whatever veggies you like. Goes well with potatoes :) it will definitely fill you up! Other vegan veggie options are avocado, sauteed spinach (gorgeous with onions and a bit of garlic), a breakfast burrito with black beans and salsa, quinoa (make it with cinnamon, chopped nuts and raisins and it's a lovely porridge substitute), baked beans (make your own with butterbeans and tinned tomatoes, NOM).

If you have a blender- I'm a big fan of breakfast/Green monster smoothies- a handful of frozen spinach (don't worry, you can't taste it), a frozen banana, a cup of water, juice, or non-dairy milk and then whatever fruits you fancy. Berries are gorgeous. You can add some oats, vegan protein powder or nut butter to give it an extra boost. Granola and desiccated coconut make great toppings. I make mine with frozen berries and it's practically like having ice cream for breakfast :D I'm also not a huge fan of the taste of soy milk but in a smoothie it's very tolerable.

I also see pancakes popping up on a lot of vegan blogs. Again there's loads of recipes for these on Google, a lot of them seem to use flaxseed in place of eggs- here's one list from a blog I read a lot.

Hope that's of some use, in case you can't tell I take breakfast VERY seriously :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Gauge wrote: »
    Tofu scrambles can be nice if you're craving a cooked breakfast. There's hundreds of recipes out there!

Basic recipe (If you haven't used nutritional yeast before you can get it in health food shops).

Add whatever veggies you like. Goes well with potatoes :) it will definitely fill you up! Other vegan veggie options are avocado, sauteed spinach (gorgeous with onions and a bit of garlic), a breakfast burrito with black beans and salsa, quinoa (make it with cinnamon, chopped nuts and raisins and it's a lovely porridge substitute), baked beans (make your own with butterbeans and tinned tomatoes, NOM).

If you have a blender- I'm a big fan of breakfast/Green monster smoothies- a handful of frozen spinach (don't worry, you can't taste it), a frozen banana, a cup of water, juice, or non-dairy milk and then whatever fruits you fancy. Berries are gorgeous. You can add some oats, vegan protein powder or nut butter to give it an extra boost. Granola and desiccated coconut make great toppings. I make mine with frozen berries and it's practically like having ice cream for breakfast :D I'm also not a huge fan of the taste of soy milk but in a smoothie it's very tolerable.

I also see pancakes popping up on a lot of vegan blogs. Again there's loads of recipes for these on Google, a lot of them seem to use flaxseed in place of eggs- here's one list from a blog I read a lot.

Hope that's of some use, in case you can't tell I take breakfast VERY seriously :D

+ 1 on that. i have a green smoothie every morning for breakfast. a bag of spinach and maybe frozen berries or oranges. better than any cereal and is very easy on the stomach.
    for a treat you can have beans on toast with vegan sausages and sum fried mushrooms. there are lots of things you can do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Porridge? Loads of stuff you can put in that. As for the milk substitutes, how many have you tried? It does take a while to get used to the taste of them too, but you lose your taste for milk pretty quick then. I have cheese or yoghurt sometimes, but the taste of milk in my coffee would nearly make me gag now, I think it's definitely the easiest thing to replace.

Fruit salad is another good breakfast too, pretty quick too.

Also, don't be afraid of nutritional yeast, I only got it recently and I can't believe I wasted so much of my life not eating it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 48 pinkmonkey045

Uber "healthy" [non] coco pops with coconut milk..... oh wait you want a health improvement. Scrap that one so!!! [However, they are amazing]

http://www.dovesfarm.co.uk/breakfast-cereals/organic-gluten-free-cocoa-rice-300g/

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭loueuro2

i have peanut butter and banana on toast, lovely and filling too. also toast with jam. i found it hard too to adjust to the milk, the easiest one for me was the coconut milk'kara' looks like it, tastes nice but it took a while, id say try none for a few weeks,let the 'milk'taste leave your system and then try them again!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

From the Vegan Society's website:
    Five delicious breakfasts

1.Fresh fruit smoothie with banana, blueberries and rice milk
    2.Vegan sausages, fried mushrooms, potato wedges, tomato, baked beans and toast
    3.Toast, bagel or crumpet with jam, peanut butter, yeast extract, vegan cream cheese or maple syrup. Also try scrambled tofu on toast.
    4.Fruit salad with soya yogurt and a handful of nuts
    5.Vegan-suitable breakfast cereal (avoiding brands with non-vegan ingredients such as milk powder, honey or vitamin D3)
    http://www.vegansociety.com/lifestyle/food/recipes/easy-vegan/five-delicious-breakfasts.aspx

As for alternatives to Pure, you can get Vitalite in Dunnes (has more of a salty taste) or Suma spreads from health food stores (a bit pricey).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 mayvic

Thanks for all the repleis! It all sounds so good. I will be experimenting over the next couple of weeks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Gossipgal

For Sunday breakfast / brunch I will have Linda McCartney sausages, beans and waffles - amazing replacement for a fry. Other mornings I have a green smoothie with spinach or kale and fruit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 itsmyusername

Hi I've just recently become vegetarian and you've given me great ideas for breakfasts :)- do you know of any vegetarian/vegan cheese which can be melted??? and which tastes similar to cheddar?? I've checked out some vegetarian recepies on line but quite a lot of them are very high in fats and calories so if you've any advice please let me know - thanks ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

Hi I've just recently become vegetarian and you've given me great ideas for breakfasts :)- do you know of any vegetarian/vegan cheese which can be melted??? and which tastes similar to cheddar?? I've checked out some vegetarian recepies on line but quite a lot of them are very high in fats and calories so if you've any advice please let me know - thanks ;)

thats the sole reason it tastes so good!

• Advertisement

Haven't a clue about vegan cheese I'm afraid! There's been a few threads on it in the past- here, and here, so they might have suggestions worth looking at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

mayvic wrote: »
    Hi! I'm a vegetarian and I trying to cut out other animal products too and I was looking for some suggestions of what to have for breakfast. Usually I'd have toast (which I can keep doing) and some wheatabix with fruit. I've tried using milk substitutes in the wheatabix but I just don't like the taste of them. What else could I have for breakfast that isn't cereal-ish but still filling and easy?

Oh, also, I've been using that "Pure" soy butter for a while and was wondering if there were any other types around?

My dad eats his Wheatabix with hot water... he doesn't drink milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jackieha

Hi, I just turned Veggie in Marh of this year, so much to learn :rolleyes: but I am enjoying it :) Dubliner cheese is suitable for vegetarians, here's a link that might help you with the cheese options. There's a chart in there showing cheese that is suitable for Veggies (labelling etc) compiled by the Irish Vegetarian Society :)

http://www.dublinercheese.ie/dubliner-cheese-suitable-for-veggies/932

jackieha wrote: »
    Hi, I just turned Veggie in Marh of this year, so much to learn :rolleyes: but I am enjoying it :) Dubliner cheese is suitable for vegetarians, here's a link that might help you with the cheese options. There's a chart in there showing cheese that is suitable for Veggies (labelling etc) compiled by the Irish Vegetarian Society :)

http://www.dublinercheese.ie/dubliner-cheese-suitable-for-veggies/932

That's a VERY handy list, fair play to Dubliner for putting it up on their website (and to the veg society for compiling it!) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 jackieha

That's a VERY handy list, fair play to Dubliner for putting it up on their website (and to the veg society for compiling it!) :)

Yep it is sooo handy, I printed it out and it's on the corkboard in my kitchen, beside my shopping lists :)

Oh BTW Blazing Salads on Drury Street (Dublin) sell a fab Parmesan (type) cheese that's suitable for vegetarians and it's very good :) You've probably guessed I LOVE my cheese :p

jackieha wrote: »
    Yep it is sooo handy, I printed it out and it's on the corkboard in my kitchen, beside my shopping lists :)

Oh BTW Blazing Salads on Drury Street (Dublin) sell a fab Parmesan (type) cheese that's suitable for vegetarians and it's very good :) You've probably guessed I LOVE my cheese :p

I had to ban myself from Blazing Salads because I could easily spend €20 loading up on the salad bar in there :) It's SO good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

I had to ban myself from Blazing Salads because I could easily spend €20 loading up on the salad bar in there :) It's SO good.
    Ah, but you should feed that indulgence - it's all healthy and you've gotta eat! Students and Vegetarian Society of Ireland members get 10% off in Cafe Fresh. I'm always using the discount. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 SweetJeebus

Nut butters are nice substitutes for butter - some almond butter & mashed avocado on toast? Nom!
    Hazelnut milk is by far the nicest of milk substitutes I have tasted. It's really easy to make (soak them/blend them/strain them). The bought vegan milk is expensive, processed and usually tastes weird!
    Smoothies are a great option as someone else already mentioned.
    Soya yoghurts with some fruit or on top of cereal - although make sure it's a good brand of yoghurt as some of them have loads of crap added to them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 87 ✭✭Serendipity99

You'll find a few breakfast ideas here on the Cork Vegans meetup site, plus some cheese substitutes and sandwich ideas...

http://www.meetup.com/Cork-Vegans/pages/Our_Favourite_Recipes/

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

For spread I use the M+S dairy free one. Comes in a low fat version too and only about 99c.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,028 ✭✭✭✭--LOS--

I just saw this link and I thought it was awesome.....

29 vegan breakfasts

They look amazing

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Oh wow

haha peanut butter granola :D

Advertisement